Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Odran Krayt WIP (updated)

• 79 Replies

Odran Krayt

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood)
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023.
Odran Krayt WIP (updated)
« on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:37 PM »
So, I am working through the PreApp process right now, and I realized I never posted a WIP. I am still far enough from OM that I have things that I am still improving, so I'll post them here.

My bucket

(sculpey earcap pre-baking)

Helmet w/ new earcap (pre weathering)

(weathered)

Front to see the better balanced front view

Burnt side with lightsaber scar

Back armor

Chest armor

Trophies (the marble and wire pendants are also for sale on my sales thread)

Gauntlets (right one is my sword arm, has bicep, elbow, and hand plate, with extra trauma plates. left has a blaster, no handplate, and the blaster hose goes under my arm pouch and shoulder)
right
left
left top
elbow
dont have bicep or shoulder pics yet

My 'Mando Diaper' or cod and girth belt (I also have a kama, its not in the picture)

Here I am in kit at the Last Jedi premier. (I'm in the back right next to the TIE reserve pilot)

My beskad (spare material from my deck at my house, it is some sort of composite plastic/wood, it weighs about 10 pounds.)
It has a strap that velcroes to the spine of the blade that can velcro over my shoulder to carry.

The ring and braids at the pommel

The beskad on my shoulder

A boot, just a snowboot with a spat made with Pheonix023's tutorial http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=120390.msg1628355#msg1628355

And shin armor

The straps I used to hold the shins on (needs a way to hold down the ends)

Other shin with pouches

One side of my trophy diamond wrap that goes over the bottom of my thigh plates (laid over top of my boot)

A little blurry, but a lightsaber trophy, it connects with the silver side of my helmet and the burn scar. I was battling a Sith, and as he hit my helmet with his saber, I caught it and, in the struggle, the crystal became unaligned and blasted the whole battery out the side and burned away the paint on the right side of my armor. (you can see the red crystal inside. it is a chunk of glass I picked up off the road that I colored red with a Sharpie.)

My Westar-35 pistol (I have its twin for sale on my sales thread in my signature.)

My off hand short sword (It now has a ring in the hilt like my beskad, and a leather wrapped hilt)

That's all for today, I'll get more pics up when I can.

« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2017, 09:35 PM by Orar Kad » Logged
B.O.M.B.  #85|L.O.B. #41|M.A. #180|MAJIC #184|B.o.B.B #028
New Death Watch Order #44|O.O.P.S! #44
ALUMINATI #053 | V.B.V #7
Odran Krayt WIP
Nexan Armories (Sales thread)
I've been doin' this since I was 10!

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Odran Krayt WIP (updated)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:08 AM »
That's a lot of progress. Just a couple of things I can spot at the moment.

The helmet still needs a lot of sanding, barring the section you want damaged the rest needs to be smoothed out.

Your ab plate needs a large trim and shifting up into place. Trim on the green and shift up to the red line. The gap all around should be even.

Looking forward to seeing this all put together.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Odran Krayt

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2017, 11:36 AM »
would it work to add smaller plates in the larger gaps? my whole chest armor is metal, and the height of the plate is because it is very short otherwise

Odran Krayt WIP

MadCelt

• Just a little man trying to stay in God's plan.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:38 PM »
would it work to add smaller plates in the larger gaps? my whole chest armor is metal, and the height of the plate is because it is very short otherwise

Just for clarity, your ab plate isn't actually supposed to cover your abdomen. It rides high, almost to the sternum.
Your belly area would be covered by a girth belt or sash with weapon/gear belts on top of that.

Check out Jango Fett's armor. Note the placement and spacing of the plates.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:42 PM »
Just for a quick visual reference:

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Odran Krayt

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:46 PM »
The way i understand it, the bottom should sit over the belly button, and that is where mine sits, so bringing it up would make it look too high up

Odran Krayt WIP

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2017, 01:11 PM »
The way i understand it, the bottom should sit over the belly button, and that is where mine sits, so bringing it up would make it look too high up

It should end an inch or two above your navel i you want to ever be able to bend over ever.   But either way you're going to have to trim to get the spacing to be even.  That upper tab of your ab plate is currently asymmetrical. 

Kris's advice is solid (as always).  Girthbelts cover your girth. 

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2017, 03:52 PM »
The vest and armor tends to sit a lot higher than what most recruits assume, but even Boba Fett's vest ended along or above his navel. The girthbelt and other belt items will make up the difference.

Odran Krayt

« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2017, 05:35 PM »
Ok, I've been running off of this pic which looks like it hits his navel.

It looks better when I wear my girth belt.
Also, any suggestions on how best to smooth my helmet? it is sanded down too deep in spots, so simply sanding isn't an option.

Odran Krayt WIP

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2017, 08:30 PM »
The armour on that picture looks too big all round, both front and back for that frame to me.

Around the navel is the easiest reference point, however it can be anywhere from the navel to a few inches above since nobodies navel is in the same spot (my armour stops a full 2 inches above mine)

I also have to draw attention to this line from the CRLs: "If a Boba or Jango Fett ab plate is being used, the height of the plate must be approximately 1/2 the measurement of the width."

I assume you've been using bondo (car body filler) for the outer layers? If not - get some, it works wonders. If yes, mix up a tiny bit at a time, then using someshing flat (most tubs come with a small plastic spreader) smooth it into all the dips. Let it dry, then sand it down. Fill any remaining dips. Sand again. Repeat until you gain a smooth surface.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Odran Krayt

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2017, 08:56 PM »
so what you are saying is the upper body armor is too wide?

I plan on getting some bondo tonight, i just wanted to make sure there wasnt a better method

Odran Krayt WIP

Kris Jasra

« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2017, 08:49 AM »
so what you are saying is the upper body armor is too wide?

No. When I said too big all around I was talking about the last picture posted - the drawing, not any pictures of you, I marked the exact place that was too big on those. The width is fine on your armour.

To break down the CRL point. The ab plate should not be higher in size than half it's width. If you look at yours it is far bigger height-wise than half its width - therefore it needs trimming where marked. Some leeway will be given - it wont be measured down to the last inch, but close enough to not stand out to the eye is needed.

Odran Krayt

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2017, 09:51 AM »
so the ab plate is what is too big?

Odran Krayt WIP

Kris Jasra

« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2017, 10:20 AM »
Yes. See my diagram for best fit.

Odran Krayt

« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:39 PM »
How is this?
Chest armor with adjusted ab plate, changed secondary color to copper/bronze

Helmet smoothed

Character's wife's name in new TLJ alphabet

Odran Krayt WIP

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:10 PM »
The mods you made on top of the ab plate make it impossible for you to get the spacing right on the rest of your plates because of how the corners stick out past the edge.  There should be an even 1 inch gap between all your torso plates and eachother, gap around diamond can be 1/2 inch.

Also, the plate in the middle top of the ab looks haphazard, and likely to get dinged on the quality clause.  Battle damage is okay, but it's off center, and skewed so that it was not ever in the right place before whatever hit it. 

The exposed strapping or velcro between your pectoral plates and diamond and pectoral plates and ab plate is also not approvable. 

Odran Krayt

« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2017, 10:17 PM »
so make the top of the ab flush with the rest?

my ruus'alor told me that the nylon webbing was fine.

and the other part of the ab plate, is that the black center of the copper part? if so, i can easily remove it.

Odran Krayt WIP

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2017, 11:06 PM »
so make the top of the ab flush with the rest?

Not flush, even 1 inch gap at all edges between ab plate and Pectoral plates.   But you can't do that without trimming the copper on the ab a bit.

and the other part of the ab plate, is that the black center of the copper part? if so, i can easily remove it.
Yes. I would, but that's an aesthetic call, not necessarily a CRL call other than the potential for the quality clause ding. 

my ruus'alor told me that the nylon webbing was fine.
I will defer to your Ruu there.  I know exposed webbing CAN be okay, like the straps going from your torso to your back are fine, but I didn't know it was okay exposed like you have it.  I assumed it was velcro because most modern gets mounted that way, or with magnets or snaps.  Typically see the strapping with legacy kits.  That's how my kit's assembled, but the strapping isn't visible in between plates.   

Follow the advice of your Ruu' for sure!

Odran Krayt

« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2017, 11:15 PM »
for the gap, the top of the copper is what i expected you meant for trimming, and is an easy fix.

for the webbing, i'll double check w/ my ruus'alor, i dont remember if he has seen the fully assembled chest with the webbing

also, is the helmet smooth enough?

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2017, 11:22 PM by Orar Kad » Logged
Odran Krayt WIP

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2017, 11:22 PM »
That's what I meant, yes.  Good idea on getting further feedback!

Odran Krayt

« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2017, 11:35 PM »
Kris Jasra said that the helmet needed sanding, is it better now? The helmet is meant to be beskar, hand forged by my character, so it won't have as much 3d damage on the blasted side, and is also not a perfect piece. I defined the undamaged cheek a bit more and made the other parts more sharp and smooth, though not perfectly.

Odran Krayt WIP

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2017, 11:50 PM »
Any chance of getting an updated front view, and the other side?

The red areas need some attention just to make that body line consistent.

The blue circled area's currently scream "Bike Helmet" and even if I didn't know it was a scratch build I'd realize that.  It's not that they can't be there... but if they're going to be there, make them a feature.  The lower blue circle (waves) it's clear you painted them in such a way as to have them ignored, to hide them.  You could make them paint details/features instead. 

The screened in holes could use something to make them a little more "functional vent."  Honestly it might help if they were either your main kit color, the copper color, or even just black, but I like the idea of the copper the best I think (this is a judgement call though)

Again, these are suggestions. If you disagree, that's cool :) And good on you for forging your bucket yourself!

Odran Krayt

« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2017, 12:24 AM »
i'll get the pics up tomorrow.

for the screen thing, do you mean painting the screen, and what suggestions do you have for making them look more functional.

i'm using a simple phone, so i can't see your pics. is this make or break stuff, or just asthetic

Odran Krayt WIP

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:10 AM »
I mean painting the screen, yes.   As for making them look more like a feature -- maybe building up ridges around them with something like plumber's epoxy putty or Apoxie Sculpt, or half covering each one with a pieceof transparent or tinted plastic.  You could also just tape the inside of them, fill them with bondo, and then once the bondo cures, remove the tape and paint.  I get the desire for airflow though.

I would say the screen and the waves are aesthetic, but an App team or Ruu may weigh in for you on that part too.   

The red circles are places where the body line/bondo/sanding  along the ridge between the bottom of your bucket and your dome is wavy instead of a straight line like it probably should be.    That might get kicked back, but it might also pass. 

I have no formal training, just  LOTS AND LOTS of forum reading, and the scratch built helmet I made out of home depot buckets.

Odran Krayt

« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2017, 09:27 PM »
My Ruus'alor said the strapping is okay

Here's the pics

And I painted the vents gold, and the waves have red with a gold edge

moi smooth Bondo

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017, 07:40 PM by Orar Kad » Logged
Odran Krayt WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!