Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vest feedback

• 5 Replies
Vest feedback
« on: Dec 25, 2017, 09:40 PM »
I have what I hope to be a brilliant idea for my vest. I had an extra set of coveralls that I wasn't using, so I removed the lower half and cut down the sleeves. I think if I get the alignment correct, the snap closure at the neck will be covered with armor and thus not be visible.

Will this work?

and with plate templates attached:

Thanks!

Rukass

• Work hard or die trying
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
Re: Vest feedback
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:27 AM »
This is a great idea but the snap opening will have to be on your back. The chest has to be bare so that you can mount your armor.

RUKASS
MMCC #1157

DocJancsi

• Pillage, THEN burn
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:55 PM »
Depending on the material of the coveralls (Most are a lightweight poly cotton twill) you may need to line the vest with Cotton duck to support the weight of your plates.

A Mandalorian should be able to raise a child, plan an invasion, butcher a nerf, fly a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, slice a computer, cook a meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

I'm not sure I can remove the snap at the collar without ruining the fabric. I sewed a panel to the left side that will cover the snap and give me a place to add whichever armor-attachment mechanism I wind up going with. It is secured to the right side with velcro.

As for the fabric holding up the armor appropriately, this started out as a pair of the Red Kap Action back coveralls.
According to their website, it's made of 7.25 oz. Twill (65% Polyester / 35% Combed Cotton).

I have a stash of duck cloth I could try to line it with, but I'm not sure if my sewing skills are up to it. I have some iron-on heavy stabilizer I used recently to make an Imperial officer's hat, do you think that would work to give it some strength? It would be significantly easier to put that in place vs. sewing a lining.

DocJancsi

• Pillage, THEN burn
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:02 PM »
I am not yet an OM, but I have been  sewing and costuming  for the better part of 30 years.

I missed that this started out as ďaction back coveralls. The folds on the back which add flexibility to the coveralls will do the Ams thing for a garment meant to support armor plates. This is less than ideal.  They also mean that the vest cannot be reversed so the opening is in back.

The returns (technical term for the folds) can be topstitched shut to improve the rigidity of the garment.

The next problem would be putting the opening in the back (or the sides).

The neck opening for a shirt is cut lower in the front than the back. So simply turning it around will not work. This means taking out the zipper in front and joining the two front halves together with a straight seam. You could conceal A short Velcro opening on one shoulder seam. Then cut open one side, and either roll hem or close the edges with bias tape and add a Velcro closure.

This is a practical method of converting what you have to what you need. I am not sure how the app team might feel about a seam running down the center front of the vest. But I know that many approved flak vests have waist darts on the front or even full princess seams on the front of their vests. I doubt it would be an issue.

A Mandalorian should be able to raise a child, plan an invasion, butcher a nerf, fly a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, slice a computer, cook a meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Zarya Arthos

• Formerly 'nebulargirl'
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2018, 01:05 AM »
I think itís too thin for plates. Duck cloth could save you, though. Center seam is ok as long as itís mostly covered by armor.

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!

Night Owl Society
Sabine S1 WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!