Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Redoing my Arduino

• 11 Replies

Toren Solus

• Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Clan Growth 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
Redoing my Arduino
« on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:35 PM »
Su cuy'gar ner vode!
I have an Arduino in my helmet for controling a servo for the rangefinder and some LEDs at the top of the rangefinder. What I want to do, and dont know how, is to move the Arduino to my new gauntlets to make some room for my thick head in my bucket.

My question is basicly:
Can I have an arduino in my gauntlets and have it wireless control the electronics in my helmet and if I can, how do I do it?
If not, what is the best way to create a tube for the wires?

I hope you all can help me.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
Re: Redoing my Arduino
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:22 AM »
You can use gauntlet hoses to hide wires and such.  My pilot gauntlets have 'hoses' that run up my sleeves and meet at the middle of my upper back, with hoses on my helmet in the same style.  Mine is only cosmetic, so there aren't any wires in it, just some clothesline for 'bulk' inside a cable sleeve.  You can do the same, but with actual wires.  You just need to have a connector somewhere to plug 'em together.

This is the cable sleeve I used.  It conveniently comes in several colors.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V3PQVHC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Toren Solus

• Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Clan Growth 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:09 PM »
Thanks!
This will be a great "backup" if I cant manage to do it wireless!

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:15 PM »
This sounds like an interesting mod.

I've seen bluetooth modules on adafruit, but I don't know if they can be programmed to do what you want.  I also think they are pretty close to the size of an Arduino Uno, so you won't be saving much in terms of size.  The cool factor will be off the charts, though, if you can get it to work.

Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

Coenn Jeenx

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:59 PM »
I am looking into wireless modules for arduino to do what you are talking about. They will likely only work though if you are using at least an Uno board. I don’t think nano’s have enough memory for the extra code - but I ain’t now expert.  Search amazon for arsuino wireless and you should find them easy enough. There are also some posts on other arduino sites that may help - I go to arduino.cc as a resource - the forum has been helpful and users are pretty quick to respond.

OM#2100
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
Adam Savage

Toren Solus

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:37 AM »
Perfect! At the moment my searches have been focused on my local stores, but will widen my search!
I belive my board is an Uno so that wouldnt be an issue. And if its not, I see no problem with updating;)

Shiimba

• Zweeds'aar OM# 1948
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2018, 02:20 AM »
A Nano v3 (Atmega328) will work just fine. Have that to run mine with and had no issues so far.

LightningLion

• Electronics are my thing
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2018, 12:41 PM »
I did it with an Arduino Pro Mini and a radio receiver, it doesn't take much space.

Lion's electronics corner

Rionu Custom Electronics for your Mandos
--->> Sales thread

WIP's: Post-Imperial costume. Nite Owl helmet.

Mundo Airsofter - Airsoft news & reviews
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2018, 10:37 AM »
I use an adafruit trinket pro, you can also use he trinket mini but the code is a bit more complex). For the wireless you can use a 433Mhz transmitter/receiver combo, just be sure you set the jumpers the same, this will keep it from triggering other 433Mhz kits.

Toren Solus

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2018, 03:30 PM »
Been lazy and away from the forums for some time now. But thanks for the responds!

Im a bit in the blue of what you guys are saying I must admit. My knowledge of arduino is very limited.

LightningLion: For the Arduino Pro Mini, what do I need? Do you have pictures or a flowshart or the like?

jc27: For the Adafruit trinket pro, same question as for lightinglion.

Would love to see your stuff if you got it to work!

LightningLion

• Electronics are my thing
« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2018, 04:52 PM »
I have since changed my mind. Now I'm more into Arduino Pro Micros instead of Pro Mini  :laugh:
They're small too, and already come with USB port for powering and uploading sketches, making everything simplier.

The easy option, as most people usually do is buying on of this remote "garage door" modules for Arduino. The remote has 4 buttons, and the receiver board has 4 pins that you connect to your Arduino digital inputs. Then in your code you just put a digitalRead(whatever) and command a position to your servo when you press the A button. And so on for all the 4 buttons.

But as that isn't cool enough, users often dissasembly the remote and wire external buttons

Lion's electronics corner

Rionu Custom Electronics for your Mandos
--->> Sales thread

WIP's: Post-Imperial costume. Nite Owl helmet.

Mundo Airsofter - Airsoft news & reviews
« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Been lazy and away from the forums for some time now. But thanks for the responds!

Im a bit in the blue of what you guys are saying I must admit. My knowledge of arduino is very limited.

LightningLion: For the Arduino Pro Mini, what do I need? Do you have pictures or a flowshart or the like?

jc27: For the Adafruit trinket pro, same question as for lightinglion.

I have a thread in this section (fettintaor industries) that shows my stuff.
As for the arduino pro, I use the trnket pro from adafruit. It has a preloaded bootloader which makes loading code from the arduino IDE very easy.  If yougo to adafruit and search their learing section, it has wchematic diagrams for the trinket pro as well as how to load code to it.

Would love to see your stuff if you got it to work!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!