Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Hermit's Late Crusader WIP

• 16 Replies
Hermit's Late Crusader WIP
« on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Hey all! I've been lurking for a while now and recently joined in preparation for the construction of my armor!

Anyways, I've just begun getting the materials I have atm into one place and could use as much advice as possible.

^Obviously the jumpsuit will be going under the armor once that's made. I've also heard that the Jango 2piece helmet is allowed for Crusader builds, provided it's been heavily modified (confirmation incase I don't know what I'm talking about?). I'll be removing the earpieces when I get around to the helmet and giving it more of the Crusader look so it doesn't look modern. Likewise, I'm looking around for visors to get rid of the see-through one.

Now, for armor, I have a few options readily available right now--one idea is that I shape the armor with carpet padding and then reinforce it with epoxy resin to make it actually look like armor. Alternatively I use aluminum foil or some other material that's easy to shape and then cover that in epoxy so it's not... well, just aluminum foil anymore. Third is paper mache and/or chicken wire that'll likewise be reinforced with resin. Are any of these options viable or should I scrap those ideas before I do something dumb? :P

Looking forward to feedback/ideas!

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
Re: Hermit's Late Crusader WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:16 AM »
So yes, you can in theory use a Jango Two-Peice as a base for a Crusader helmet. But it will require a good bit of modification to do so. You will need to not only remove the ear caps, but I would also suggest smooth out the brow ridge, and modifying the shape of the visor form a T to a Y shape. Really by the time your are done with the mods really only the dome itself will be left in the original state. Nothing wrong with that it just takes a good bit of work as does any scratch helmet build does.

With that being said the generally accepted wisdom is to buy your first helmet granted there are only one Crusader Era buckets that are in general production at the NME Props Deathstalker, and then there are a number of people that have 3D Printed Crusader Era helmets that you can custom order those people can be contacted via the Supply Depot which can be found here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?board=270.0

Now with that being said you can totally scratch build your first bucket, but more often than not doing so generally ends up costing more than just ordering a ready made bucket.

So I am going to just be blunt and say that those materials aren't going to fly for a number of reasons. I would HIGHLY suggest using Sintra (PVC Foamboard) you can get it in 3mm or 6mm thick sheets and general speak you can get a single 4 foot by 8 foot sheet on Amazon for around 15 dollars. Then you simply need to shape it with a heat gun and you have yourself armor plates.

Another good option is to use metal, but that requires that you either already have metalworking tools or easy access to them otherwise that really isn't an choice.

Lastly if your heart is set on a Crusader build something that is key is that you collect reference images, this are crucial for both the build and the approval process for Crusader era kits. You need to be able to point to something from the Star Wars Legends/Canon Material for the Crusader era and say "My armor is based on this"

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:55 AM »
So yes, you can in theory use a Jango Two-Peice as a base for a Crusader helmet. But it will require a good bit of modification to do so. You will need to not only remove the ear caps, but I would also suggest smooth out the brow ridge, and modifying the shape of the visor form a T to a Y shape. Really by the time your are done with the mods really only the dome itself will be left in the original state. Nothing wrong with that it just takes a good bit of work as does any scratch helmet build does.

With that being said the generally accepted wisdom is to buy your first helmet granted there are only one Crusader Era buckets that are in general production at the NME Props Deathstalker, and then there are a number of people that have 3D Printed Crusader Era helmets that you can custom order those people can be contacted via the Supply Depot which can be found here: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?board=270.0

Now with that being said you can totally scratch build your first bucket, but more often than not doing so generally ends up costing more than just ordering a ready made bucket.

So I am going to just be blunt and say that those materials aren't going to fly for a number of reasons. I would HIGHLY suggest using Sintra (PVC Foamboard) you can get it in 3mm or 6mm thick sheets and general speak you can get a single 4 foot by 8 foot sheet on Amazon for around 15 dollars. Then you simply need to shape it with a heat gun and you have yourself armor plates.

Another good option is to use metal, but that requires that you either already have metalworking tools or easy access to them otherwise that really isn't an choice.

Lastly if your heart is set on a Crusader build something that is key is that you collect reference images, this are crucial for both the build and the approval process for Crusader era kits. You need to be able to point to something from the Star Wars Legends/Canon Material for the Crusader era and say "My armor is based on this"

Understood, I'll look into the sintra. I do have a bit of copper sheet metal that's pretty strong--if I go the metal route, would that work?

And yeah, I'm being careful about appearance--I'm taking ideas from Rholan Dyre, Mandalore the Ultimate, and this nice set of Crusader armor in the reference pics.

Will provide update soon--might take a week or two to get my hands on some sintra if I go that route!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:18 AM »
Sintra is a better bet to get what you need. I'm not sure that any of those items can actually be used to creat armor with exception to the epoxy.

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:03 AM »
You could use copper, the only issue there is cost. But if you have enough on hand and the tools to work it correctly. You can use that. But generally speaking to make a kit you need a fair bit of material for example I am 6'3 and for me to make a full set of plates it takes two 4x8 sheets of sintra. Now that is making chest, ab, shoulder, gaunts,back, cod, thigh, shin, hand and boot armor. But it goes pretty quick so just something to keep in mind if you do decide to use your copper.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:25 AM »
I'm 6'1, 240.  I did a full set of legacy with a little over half of a 4 x 8 sheet -- chest/abs, shoulders, gauntlets, back, cod, shin, knee, hand, and boot armor, even some trauma plating. No thighs, but could easily have gotten that out of the one sheet.  It's really important to plan all your parts and nest everything together to save waste. 

« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:26 AM »
I think I've got enough copper and the means to shape it. I want to experiment with different things though, so I've been looking more into sintra as well. Is there a recommended wattage for 3mm thick? I found a cheap heat gun that's about 1500 watts and want to make sure it's going to be good enough.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:34 AM »
If it's more powerful than a hair dryer and less powerful than a propane torch, you should be good.  I have a el-cheapo Harbor Freight heat gun, and I can use either the low or the high setting with good effect.  It's not very picky stuff.  Just don't leave the gun in one spot for too long.  It also doesn't get brittle after multiple heats like ABS can. You can pretty much adjust it as many times as you need.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:36 AM »
I think I've got enough copper and the means to shape it. I want to experiment with different things though, so I've been looking more into sintra as well. Is there a recommended wattage for 3mm thick? I found a cheap heat gun that's about 1500 watts and want to make sure it's going to be good enough.
luckily my heat gun is right next to me. i have a 1200 watt heat gun that is more than enough.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2018, 10:20 PM »
I've gotten my hands on some sintra and a heat gun! Unfortunately I'll have to postpone the project as I'm about to return to college, so it'll probably be a few weeks before I have an update. Stay hyped everyone, hopefully I'll be able to join the ranks soon! And thanks for all the help

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2018, 11:02 PM by Hermit » Logged
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2018, 11:06 PM »
UPDATE 3/13/18: I'm on Spring Break and managed to play around with the heat gun and sintra. Made a torso mannequin and then created the basic shape for a chestpiece out of paper before making the actual piece out of sintra. It'll come in two parts, and once I get to the back I'm thinking of rivets, velcro or strapping to attach it all.

I know it looks a little jagged--I'll be smoothing everything out once I've gotten all the pieces made.

As always, advice, criticism, and words of encouragement are appreciated! I'll try to make some more progress tomorrow, maybe do something with the back unless you all have suggestions on the chestpiece.

« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2018, 11:14 PM by Hermit » Logged
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 10:47 PM »
UPDATE 5/20/18: (hopefully this doesn't qualify as double/triple posting) Managed to make more progress with the armor. Cod piece, shoulders, and helmet are still WIP, as is attaching the wrist and shin pieces. Lemme know what you think

Back and upper half of the front, nothing particularly special. I used leather straps and rivets to put the pieces together. Also took a bit off the top of the breastplate--it was a little too big and would've made things look awkward.

More riveting and leather straps, plus paint. I'm mixing black, brown, and gold and will probably put another layer on. Shoulders are next--I'll probably attach them via the same leather straps connecting the breastplate to the back.

Clearer image. Same as above, but with more paint. The two pieces off to the side will serve as wrist armor (may have to straighten them out a bit more, but they fit fine) and the ones in the back are part of the leg armor.

« Reply #12 on: Jul 23, 2018, 12:37 AM »
UPDATE 7/23/18: Been busy with work and generally figuring out what I'm doing, namely the shoulders and helmet (caved and ordered a Ramikadyc).

In the meantime, I'm getting started on the weapons now. Are there any do's/don'ts? I'm not sure if creating my own weapons is approved? Thinking of a Cathar Honor Sword (image below) from SWTOR for one--it'd be wood, but through a combination of gloss, epoxy, and paint, I can make it look legit. Also planning out a sniper rifle, but I'm keeping my options open; would any of these work with the right paint job?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4V5RE1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1656FRWCMI8NL&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BH928X4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ANO0M91CRAIIO&psc=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/567590080/large-sci-fi-prop-blaster-rifle-star?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=sci%20fi%20rifle&ref=sc_gallery-1-12&plkey=9e4d1a99495c80d100653d2b0f8e6771f8f6cb26:567590080

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #13 on: Jul 23, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Sorry I missed a couple of updates.  Armor progress is looking good :)

Any nerf gun or non SW blaster you buy is going to require significant modifications (Add greeblies, chop and rearrange parts, add parts from other guns, remove nerfy textures, etc.)  to be approvable, not just a repaint.

The sword is probably okay, but I'd do something to add some mando elements to it too, or make it look like you captured it from a Cathar.

For blaster's/sniper rifles, look at SWTOR versions for inspiration to make your own or modify something to fit the aesthetic.

« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:17 AM »
1/7/2019 - long time no see guys, I've found time to get a lot done. I installed a visor into my helmet and added shoulder plates, a kama, etc. I know the cod piece is a bit crooked--put everything on in a hurry, but things should look better in future photos.

Front:

Back view. I think the back plate is just a wee bit too long and will cut a little bit off the bottom at some point.

Also pieced together a blaster. Got a nerf gun and made a lot of changes--sanded off the logos and textures, cut off redundant bits (sights, some finger guard thing, bars going from the handle to the barrel, etc.) and added a scope and barrel. Also added misc. bits to make it more different from the base nerf rifle (including an LED that lights up the sides of the barrel). Paint is still drying, but I feel like it works.

I think i've come pretty far with this, but how's it looking to everyone else?

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2019, 02:04 PM »
Hey again Hermit!
Your kit is starting to come together!

It's hard to confirm some of this without side photos but:
I agree that the backplate is a bit long.  It also needs some more shaping.  Your plates should always rest against you and your softparts.  There shouldn't be any air gaps between plates and fabric.   It looks like your second plate on your torso may be too long, and may be denying you room for wist items.  It also looks like those plates could use a bit more shaping.

On the blaster, need some closeups of each section of the gun to comment further.

You're making good progress vod! Keep posting for feedback!

« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2019, 05:18 PM »
1/25/19 - sorry about the late response time, been a busy few weeks. Anyways, I worked on the chest and back so it would rest against me. It's still a little blocky, but that's mostly my body at this point.

I know the lighting's not the greatest--gearing up for college and rushed a little. Same goes for the lack of a balaclava--it's lying around somewhere. Lemme know if I need a better angle/area.

Here are some close-ups of the blaster. I also decided to take the scope off as it looked a little... messy. I'll have to look into that another time.

This'll be my last update for a few weeks (or months, depending on how the semester treats me)--college is starting up again and I won't have time to work on the kit for a while. Lemme know what you guys think!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!