Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Questions about a personal project

• 4 Replies
Questions about a personal project
« on: Jan 13, 2018, 01:28 PM »
Hi, I'm thinking about building a set of armor for personal use, but I have a few questions first.

First of all, while I am aware that foam is not allowed for club membership, would it work to use it just for a first-time build?

And second of all, I was thinking of going for a sort of roman-inspired design with a cape over one shoulder. Thoughts?

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Questions about a personal project
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2018, 03:42 PM »
You're welcome to build a mandalorian set of armor using foam for your own personal use and enjoyment.  But for Official Membership with us, foam is not an approveable material. 

And you're welcome to draw inspiration from whatever sources you like, so long as the end result is clearly Mandalorian, and fits in with the Star Wars aesthetic.  The general rule of thumb is that on any given kit, you can have 20% of it of non-mandalorian origins, so long as it's still from Star Wars.  So I'd recommend you start with a basic mandalorian armor set-up, and add or tweak elements of it to pay homage to ancient Rome.  And whether you use Rome as inspiration from your kit, having a cape over your shoulder is no problem.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 16

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2018, 07:23 PM »
If not an official kit, you can do whatever you like :)   I will say though, having worked with both EVA and Sintra, that Sintra is just as easy to work with, and just as cheap if not cheaper.  And you end up with a better looking end result.   The only exception to this is making the dome for a helmet.  But, helmet wize, you might just buy one of the rubies Jango helmets and repaint.  They can be had fairly cheaply.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04:26 AM »
For me the problem is that I don't really know where I could get sintra. Foam is just a lot easier for me to find.

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Amazon, or local sign shops.  Plastic suppliers.  Your clan will for sure have a local supplier.  Where are you located?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!