Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mando Mow

• 54 Replies
Mando Mow
« on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Also, MANDO FUTTS.

Bast Kadesh is a TOGORIAN Mandolorian which is the only feline anthro race that is currently canon by Disney's standards, unfortunately. Any other species have been legendized.

The first time I introduced the idea of an anthropomorphic Mando, it was....not received with too much excitement. In fact, I was non-chalantly told HOW to make one look realistic and NOT "Furry". Well, I got some news for you guys...

Gird your Cod Pieces everyone! This IS Happening! Regardless if you are afraid of a "Furry" or "Mascot" making you guys look bad. I'm sorry, this Murder-Death-Mow is NOT "Furry". She is a feral monster in need of a shot, kay?! Kay! Good talk!

It took me about a week to fully get this all fleshed out and ready to post. This Collage of artwork is copyrighted to ME, Bast Qadesh. Yes, I drew this, and I am freaking relieved she is done. I had a bit too much fun adding to the concept....to the point I thought it was too much., near the end. It's been a very long time since I have enjoyed myself that much while drawing. I took advantage of the inspiration to draw for myself.

I have fully accepted the likely-hood this project is going to take more than 8 months to construct...possibly. I don't know. I am used to building mascot costumes within a month or a bit more's time. It might actually only be more like three or four. I am working on a shistavanen sith, as well and that will probably take just as long. I'm not going to be able to troop for a while, LOL! *Goes in a corner and weeps* Addition to detail is curcial on this kit. I will not dissappoint. I was out of a lot of my saved money with the TDE with my first version of my sith. It was the most realistic mascot costume I had ever done, for me, but it still wasn't what TDE wanted. I am going to take it slow, this time and easy.

I may have exaggerated some of her features a bit, which is my personal style and interpretation on how I see my Mando, so just take that with a grain of salt. With some of the features on her person or costume design, they are supposed to be exaggerated and dynamic like that.

The SCARF is actually supposed to be THAT long. I plan on making it out of a durable fabric that can get caught, stepped on or even torn, if something happens. It will most likely drag the ground. I know I might need to have it above the ground, depending on the event, photoshoots, parades, etc. I really like dragging drapery that's too much.

The "HAIR" is supposed to be dreads...kay? Yeah, those are Dreads, because you try to draw "Dreads" and make them actually look like "Dreads" and we'll talk. It's not easy, LOL! My fellow mando friend teased me and said they look like "Feathers".  I was starting to get lazy near the end of this sheet. I wanted it to be completed, I was so excited.

The HELMET is going to be a bit "Non-Traditional" as she has a kitty "Schnoot" and the helmet needs to be modded for such. The mask is like that of a predator "Face Plate-Mask". It doesn't have a "Dome" and it is half of a Mandalorian helmet.

I am SO excited for this, and I have always admired the Mercs and the community. It is INSANELY active and supportive of itself and people are very enthused to see other people's costumes and kits. I know there can be a few bad apples in the mix, which is why I am back and I really don't care if people don't like it, this time, I will PROVE that this IS an ally you want in your brotherhood of adoption-family-ship.

I am well aware that this is probably going to leave some people skeptical, which is fine with me, in all honesty. Why? Because I don't flipping know what it's going to finish as, either, but I do know, it's going to be damned better than my first shistavanen sith I did. Smaller, more streamline, human sized, feminine accented with less padding, etc. I have figured out my mistakes on what I thought was "Realism" and I have made the detail even more strict and accurate to real-life animals, claws, and leg structure. As good as I can get as a hobbiest costume maker.

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2018, 05:07 AM by Bast Qadesh » Logged
You've got my back, I've got yours, but, scratch my armor, and I'll scratch yours.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Mando Mow
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:52 PM »
Well, it is certainly interesting...  :o 8)

The head reminds me of the Shistavanen species, the wolfman from the Cantina Scene. Only thing is they don't have tails.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Well, it is certainly interesting...  :o 8)

The head reminds me of the Shistavanen species, the wolfman from the Cantina Scene. Only thing is they don't have tails.

Yeah, my "Cat"-style kind of took on a rather "Wolfish"-look. She's a Togorian, which are canon and the Canon aspect, it is never mentioned if they do or do not have tails, so I figured it was open for interpretation. If things are going to walk on the balls of their feet, they SHOULD have tails, scientifically. It is a balancing mechanism, It would only make sense.

My sith shistavanen was actually cleared that she could have a tail, because, in the movie, it is never shown if they do or not. Since the movie is the CANON and NOT the toys, the comics or the games or concept art, I was given artistic liberty. Since the focus of this group is the armor, I don't think anyone would really care if or if not she has a tail, but I completely understand your point on the accuracy of the franchise and that's why I love you guys!

You've got my back, I've got yours, but, scratch my armor, and I'll scratch yours.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:02 PM »
Since you've pulled it off before, give it a shot.  Hit up an App Team member, just to play it safe, though.   ;) ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:10 PM »
Since you've pulled it off before, give it a shot.  Hit up an App Team member, just to play it safe, though.   ;) ;D

Sounds good to me! Thanks for the insight! :)

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2018, 06:42 AM »
Hit up an App Team member, just to play it safe, though.   ;) ;D

We have eyes everywhere...

Definitely keep us in the loop. Alien builds are not the easiest thing to do and you'll need to work with us through the process.

- Like a Wookiee build the fur will take the place of a flightsuit I am presuming?
- You will need a backplate as the draped fabric will not be heavy enough to cover that there is not one there. The other alternative is to switch the drapery for a heavier fabric cape.
- You will likely need to provide more images for the helmet as I believe it may still need to be a full helmet since this species does not have anything on the rear of the head (Twi'lek etc get to remove part of the back to allow the lekku space to exit, however the front must remain Mandalorian). Since this species will require a front adjustment for the muzzle and a slight raise of the dome on the sides for the ears the back should be kept as Mandalorian as it can.

Otherwise I'm not seeing anything that won't meet CRLs.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Straka Zulu

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:20 AM »

Which is why I keep saying for people to ask you guys.  ;) :laugh:

Thrantusix

• "One who is being hunted, should hunt the hunter"
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:53 AM »
Meoooow! A Mando kitty I here? Lol

ㄒ卄尺卂几ㄒㄩ丂丨乂
▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2018, 10:17 AM »
Commenting to follow.

I like your concept art, and I'm really looking forward to see how this progresses. Building a Togorian Mando has been on my list of things to do forever, I've just never gotten past the initial concept, so I shall definitely be watching with great interest.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:13 PM »

Definitely keep us in the loop. Alien builds are not the easiest thing to do and you'll need to work with us through the process.

- Like a Wookiee build the fur will take the place of a flightsuit I am presuming?
- You will need a backplate as the draped fabric will not be heavy enough to cover that there is not one there. The other alternative is to switch the drapery for a heavier fabric cape.
- You will likely need to provide more images for the helmet as I believe it may still need to be a full helmet since this species does not have anything on the rear of the head (Twi'lek etc get to remove part of the back to allow the lekku space to exit, however the front must remain Mandalorian). Since this species will require a front adjustment for the muzzle and a slight raise of the dome on the sides for the ears the back should be kept as Mandalorian as it can.

Sweet! I will inform one of my mando-dudes about what was recommended! You know, I do have something in mind to make the helmet a bit more "Mando" I had a backup plan just in case, LOL! So, let me sketch up a front, side, and maybe a 3/4 view for you guys to see. I can see it in my head, clear as day, right now.

Also, to clarify about the "Soft Parts" or the fuzzy bodysuit, Yes, it will be a fursuit, Besides the armor. You don't have to worry about anything human or odd showing through the armor that would give it away that I am human. It's pretty easy to hide all the underworks. All though, it's freaking hilariously terrifying how man "Layers" Of criss-crossing elastic straps, suspenders, shirt, underarmor, and whatnot the personal mascots have that you couldn't and wouldn't even concieve when they run around performing. I need to take a picture so people can see how flipping crazy it gets under the fur and the armor, sometimes. You human mandos think you have to put a lot on, hehehe, that's cute!

One more thing! On the backplate. Are you suuuuurrrre, I need one? I was told I wasn't because the scarf, however, A local mando has a "Trench Coat"-like setup to make him more "Cowboy-esque" with no armsleeves. He said he didn't need a back plate because you can never see his back anyways, but I do think a backplate makes sense, now, because the fabric I plan on using is probably going to be light and airy. Yes, it will be moving even if I walk a little fast.  if you press that, yes, I can always make a backplate, it's no big. I just wanted to make sure if I did need one, I would surely need one. I also have a backup drawn "Skeleton" of a backview of this character that I had been dying to use, but I left it unused to change anything. So, I can draw a new backview of Bast so you guys can see the backplate, this time and the helmet changes. How does that sound? :)

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:18 PM »
The backplate is basically: you have to have a backplate which covers 2/3rds of the back from neck to girth belt.

Therefore if you wear a duster/cape which covers the back completely and is heavy enough to not shift around when moving then you can not wear the backplate because nobody will know it's not there. (If you wear a really tight duster then you may still need the backplate because it makes it obvious it isn't there)
If you have a cape that has a drapy bit at at the neck then you may need just the top section of the backplate to cover that bit, but can get away without the rest.
If you have a light drifty cape or one that is not as wide on the back then you'll still need the full plating underneath.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:26 PM »
Meoooow! A Mando kitty I here? Lol

LOL! "Meow" is an understatment, lol! I am seriously wanting to get a voice enhancer, modify it with like one of those old MP3 player mother boards and have Puma snarls, growls, lion, tiger, whatever I could get my hands on, so when people walk by or want to stand next to me, I can spook them with a growl, LOL!

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:50 PM »
The backplate is basically: you have to have a backplate which covers 2/3rds of the back from neck to girth belt.

Therefore if you wear a duster/cape which covers the back completely and is heavy enough to not shift around when moving then you can not wear the backplate because nobody will know it's not there. (If you wear a really tight duster then you may still need the backplate because it makes it obvious it isn't there)
If you have a cape that has a drapy bit at at the neck then you may need just the top section of the backplate to cover that bit, but can get away without the rest.
If you have a light drifty cape or one that is not as wide on the back then you'll still need the full plating underneath.

By the concept art the scarf is pretty much a "Cape" within it'self, but I don't think as wide, yet, at the same time, if that makes sense? It's not a narrow realistic human proportioned cape it's more like "Anime"-styled, where it's ridonkulously voluminous and wide. Hopefully, that helps with visuals, lol. But, you are right, with what I have done in my research of custom dye lots and the fabrics that will give me the freaking unicorn colors on my kit reference sheet-Yaaaay(Never done this before, so like not really) The one I chose that won't choke me to death or make me overheat, because hot fuzzy costume, is pretty light-weight and majestic. Which is what I want, anyways. Yes, I will be needing a back plate, lol!

Actually, should I make the cape first and then I can see if I really need a backplate? It shouldn't be too hard to make one if it doesn't work out. I'm going to be tugging on your kama's every half a picture anyways so you can tell me if I'm doing it all right or not, lol!

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:04 PM »
Actually, should I make the cape first and then I can see if I really need a backplate? It shouldn't be too hard to make one if it doesn't work out. I'm going to be tugging on your kama's every half a picture anyways so you can tell me if I'm doing it all right or not, lol!

Sounds like a solid plan.

By the way, forum rules prohibit double-posting, or posting right after yourself, without someone else replying first.  If, after at least 24 hours, no one has replied, at that point you're welcome to reply to your last post.  If it's been less than a day, though, simply "Modify" your last post.  If you avoid double-posting, the moderators won't yell at you.   ;D

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:19 PM »
It shouldn't be too hard to make one if it doesn't work out

Just remember, backplates are a team sport! Hitting up an Armor party will save you a lot of time and fowl language.

« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:33 PM »
Sounds like a solid plan.

By the way, forum rules prohibit double-posting, or posting right after yourself, without someone else replying first.  If, after at least 24 hours, no one has replied, at that point you're welcome to reply to your last post.  If it's been less than a day, though, simply "Modify" your last post.  If you avoid double-posting, the moderators won't yell at you.   ;D

Oopsie, Daisy! Sorries! Weird, I had been doing so well, hadn't I? Lol! I posted right after myself, because I wanted to answer the quote before I forgot what I was going to say. I try to do that because I have A LOT to say sometimes and if I wait too long to reply, I lose my whole structure of my paragraph or whatever it was. Thanks for the headsup, though:)

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:33 PM »
My pleasure.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:57 AM »

I did some research with a fellow mando and we found out that Togorian's were the first eager race to join the Mandalorians in the ancient times. However the more modern day Mandalorian Togorians in the comics do not seem to wear helmets at all, at least, from what we've seen. To save myself time and frustration, is it possible to get approved without a helmet? Is it just the armor you guys need? I am trying to come up with some creative ways to get the helmet the way I want it, but I would rather spend time on how the heck I'm going to make the head of the costume look alarmingly reallistic. A helmet would take even more time to construct just for approval. This kit is going to take me a while, anyway, but goodness, gracious, lol.

P.S. If this posts AFTER I have posted about two or three times, I was not doing it intentionally. I have posted twice since someone ELSE posted and my replies are....gone? They never did show up? I don't know what is going on or if they were deleted or something. So, if the website corrects itself, it was not my doing.

!!!EDIT!!! HEeeeyyyy! TWO pages, now! Well, then! Fixed the problem and deleted any double posts! Is the web forum supposed to be condensed to the middle of the screen with stuff on either side of it? Anyone else getting this weird stuff happening? This squishes peoples pictures, images and text and I cannot judge nor see the crafting people have put into their stuff because its distorted and skewed. I've tried to find settings on this site to see what is wrong, but ever since they updated it, it went weird like that. Highly annoying.

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:49 AM »
Have you tried clearing your cache and deleting cookies? I think for most browsers, it's control + F5, or on a Mac, Command + F5.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Kris Jasra

« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Unfortunately yes, a helmet is required even for alien builds. Was 50% of my Twi'lek construction time too.

« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Unfortunately yes, a helmet is required even for alien builds. Was 50% of my Twi'lek construction time too.

Oh, sweet baby jesus, lol! 50% ?! Yay...this is going to be fun, lol! Were there any problem areas you had with the construction of the helmet for the sake of the lekku? If I can get my reference sheet for the helmet and the back plate finished, you could, hopefully, identify, or point out, to be expected problem areas that I would not mind being prepared to struggle with.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2018, 05:42 PM »
The main problem I had is that lekku fit onto everybodies heads differently, so I had to do helmet templating of the rear of my head in the mirror because that was the only way to ensure it was fitting me. You should have less issue as your head piece would more than likely be a full head so it could be put on a stand and worked on.

« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2018, 12:55 AM »
The main problem I had is that lekku fit onto everybodies heads differently, so I had to do helmet templating of the rear of my head in the mirror because that was the only way to ensure it was fitting me. You should have less issue as your head piece would more than likely be a full head so it could be put on a stand and worked on.

Awww, shucks! I'm glad it worked out, but it must have been a pain in the tucus!!  I agree, I have 22 inch head male mannies. I need to buy, at least, two more. I'm running out of room to put project creature costumes  on that aren't finished yet. I'll see if I can't make a base off of the foam-work of my creature head and then use it to basically round-up the measurement so it can fit around a furred mascot head and not just a foam base.

Here is what I have, so far, as far as the helmet design goes.

Vents! Vent the crap out of EVERYTHING, for the love of being alive and not dead from a heatstroke!

Is this all right as far as the proportions, go? The vents will be an easy to breath through "Mesh", but not  the kind you can easily see through. I really want to wear my helmet, even over the creature head. I have an idea to make it easy to come on and off and it has to do with magnets. The helmet will basically, still be a "Two Piece". A faceplate and then the back that houses the ear guards.

For the sake of my physical safety and my physical condition, so far this year, my mando will probably have a lot of hidden heat guider-outers to make her more bearable and more comfortable. been learning my lesson to try and install more vents in the creature costumes, themselves and even the armor. I have some ideas for some "Cool-looking" vents that could go in the leg gaurds where her "Thrusters" are. Those are probably going to be heat, expelled vents, in reality, but since nobody can intentionally see up at that angle, they look like thrusters.

Let me know if anything needs to be fixed.

Kris Jasra

« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:18 AM »
Yes. All the venting. Is a good plan.

I've adjusted your torso plating - added a full collar (necessary item) and shortened off the torso plates at the bottom - better comfort and for the ability to bend and giving  room for your waist items.

On the helmet I tried squaring off the visor a little - since you will not have a full T shape, (the mesh will be fine btw, not dying is good) keeping the horizontal part as in your face recognisably Mandalorian as possible will help. Same with adjusting the sides to have a small cheek indent and the more traditional earcap shaping (my drawing skills were not up to moving the side venting? forward a little to fit the new shape) Along with the traditional rear vents (mesh those as well) it should have as much Mandalorian influence as it can while also being alien fitting.
Obviously, your drawing skills are far superior to mine so I believe you'll be able to integrate those changes without it looking like my five year old finger painting additions :P

Jin'thal Ca'vallas

• Mandalorians are stronger together
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:27 PM »
 :o you brave soul. lofty goals with heavily customized gear...i shall be watch with much interest. o.O

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!