Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My sidearm

• 26 Replies

Fenn Beviin

• Formerly 'Kaden Beviin'
  • Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
Re: My sidearm
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 09:10 AM »
I don't want to discredit all of the really hard work you have been putting into your blaster builds as I know how difficult that it ha. That being said, I honestly think combining your current blasters into 1 would look awesome and feel more Star Warzy. That dollar general gun is a great base to build from but as both blasters sit now, I think that they might be to recognizable as having mostly all PVC components to be approved. So what if you did this to combine the two? (pardon the sloppy paint skills and misaligned bits lol)

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0
Montross Pistol: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=53864.30
SEE-5 blaster pistol and misc blasters:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500
Modified EE-3: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=92880.0

Straka Zulu

• Formerly 'STRAKAZulu'
  • Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 04:30 PM »
I agree. Combining the two would make it seem like it is part of the EE-family of blasters.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 05:43 PM »
That's why I love this forum. I had never thought to try and combine the two guns as I had an image in my head of how each would turn out separately before I even started on them.
As much as I like the carbine I'm not really sure what more I can do to get away from the PVC look and honestly I'm not super thrilled with how the other blaster is coming along on its own. I actually already picked up a spare gun from Dollar General as I think it may be past the point of no return.
So again thank you very much for the constructive criticisms and now it is time to start again. New updates coming soon.

Fenn Beviin

• Formerly 'Kaden Beviin'
  • Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 11:40 AM »
No problem and Dollar General is where it is at. If I remember correctly that is where I got the bases for my main sidearm and the Verp that I built

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0
Montross Pistol: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=53864.30
SEE-5 blaster pistol and misc blasters:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500
Modified EE-3: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=92880.0
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2018, 10:51 PM »
So I've started on Phase 2 of my blasters. I can't quite bring myself to cannibalize my original carbine; maybe some day I'll have the skills to make it turn out the way I want.  So after putting that one on the shelf I decided to grab the spare gun that I mentioned previously and start hacking away to see what came to mind. As I've mentioned my favorite blaster from the OT is the SE14c so I cut the gun down to the handle and I think I have a good base to build from.

Shown with a PVC pipe to get an idea of where I'm going.

Obviously the gun is in its very early stages but I'm definitely seeing potential. Also it looks a little big for a sidearm and holding the pieces in my hand currently the size feels more like a carbine than a blaster. But that brings me to my next update.

The original gun that I started this thread with was meant to be an homage to Cassian Andor's blaster from Rogue One but while perusing Amazon the other day I found this beauty.

I figure sand off the legalese, fill in the screw holes, give it a nice paint job, some weathering and presto the ultimate homage is the real thing. Anyway that's what I think; what do you think? Stay tuned for more updates.

« Reply #20 on: Jun 13, 2018, 09:09 PM »
It's been a while since I've updated but I just had some free time to throw a coat of paint on my blaster and wanted to share the results.

I like it so far but one concern I have is that it is too similar to the Rogue One blaster so I may try a different paint scheme to see if I can make it more custom. But the important question is; is this the blaster of a bounty hunter? What do you think? More updates to come soon. 

Fenris Claddanna

• Formerly 'TI-8342'
  • Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #21 on: Jun 14, 2018, 11:06 AM »
To be brutally honest, I don't see it as the blaster of a bounty hunter. Not because of the style, but because of the paint scheme. As painted, it looks to me that it's more the blaster of a conscript, or of someone who doesn't know how to take care of their equipment. From an in-character perspective, a well-maintained blaster can be the difference between a successful hunt and a failure, or between life and death. That being said, without seeing your armour build, you might also run into an issue in regards to inconsistent weathering between your weapon and your armour if you keep the current scheme on the A-280.

That being said, the model of blaster itself is fine. the A-280CFE is one of many mass-produced blaster models out there. We've seen it used by Rebels, outlaws, and a few others, so it stands to reason that a Mando would pick one up if it suited their fancy. You might be surprised at the number of E-11 and EE-3 toting Mando'ade around here. Unless it's something that is clearly mentioned as being unique to a face character(such as the Darksaber), and it's reasonably in-universe/not something clearly from a different franchise, it's fair game.

I'll go ahead and suggest a few things that you could do to personalize your blaster. Feel free to use them, ignore them, make a paper airplane out of them, whatever you'd like. Go ahead and sand/re-primer using a black primer. Do a silver coat, then clearcoat. Hit it again with the black(if you want, leave the barrel silver), and once it's dry, take one of your accent colours from your kit to add in some personalization. Hit the grip inlays, maybe the side greeblies and dust cover, the trigger, and trigger guard. Then, take some steel wool to do some light scratches across the whole thing. Follow that with a black/brown wash, and a final clearcoat to seal everything.  If you want, you can also add kill tallies, a sigil, or a name in Mando'a to add to the uniqueness of your blaster.

Hope this helps, vod. I look forward to seeing where you go with this.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Jun 17, 2018, 10:22 AM »
I would suggest something similar. The whole blaster done in black with accents of a different color would be my suggestion. That would tie it all together and allow features to stand out. Or you can go a silver color and hit accents in black. The blackwash on a silver blaster is crucial though! Specific weathering on the edges of raised points will make it look more used as well.

I don't have a lot of great photos of my painted and weathered blasters, but I'll share what I have. If nothing else to just give some ideas to play around with.

Helmet (scratch build from buckets)
Finished Beskar'gam WIP
Privateer Brigade WIP

MMCC #1484    B.O.M.B. #16  M.T.S. #61  V.O.T.S. #34    B.E.A.R.D.S #97   
M.A.R.S. #21
« Reply #23 on: Jun 17, 2018, 08:20 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to try a different paint scheme, sort of, and while it is not quite finished I like it a lot more with a slightly more personalized look.

I still need to paint the screws and some of the buttons and dials silver to allow them to stand out more as well as black wash the whole thing but again I'm a lot happier with this rather than trying, and most likely failing, to make a more screen accurate version of the blaster. What do you think? More updates to come soon.

Fenris Claddanna

• Formerly 'TI-8342'
  • Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #24 on: Jun 17, 2018, 09:56 PM »
To my eyes, it looks much better. Definitely the sidearm of a bounty hunter now  :like:

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Straka Zulu

• Formerly 'STRAKAZulu'
  • Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #25 on: Jun 18, 2018, 01:43 AM »
Much better! :like:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

faol

« Reply #26 on: Jun 18, 2018, 04:02 PM »
To my eyes, it looks much better. Definitely the sidearm of a bounty hunter now  :like:

:like: I have to agree its looking like a wicked rough blaster

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."-- Sun Tzu

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!