Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Paint Hammered / Aged Copper Paint Technique

• 0 Replies

samurai mom

• I'm gonna knock you to next Tuesday!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ invasions in 2018 40+ hrs of Charity Work
Hammered / Aged Copper Paint Technique
« on: Jan 29, 2018, 08:15 PM »
So a couple folks have expressed interest in how I achieved the Hammered copper look on my second set of armor.  I thought this tutorial may be of some help.  I am using my bucket for this demo.

1. Of course always prep the piece.  I use rustoleum Universal Bonding primer after sanding and cleaning.  Then sand smooth. I then paint 2 to 3 coats of the metallic copper spray paint.  Sooooooooooo shiny. 

2.  Wet sand #1 - I use 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and lightly sand. Itís ok if some of the primer peeks through.  Youíll cover that up in the next step.   Here is the finish after the wet sanding process.   

3.  Create the texture - spray some copper paint onto some thick paper.  Then wad up a small piece of newspaper and dip it into the paint.  Dab onto the surface overlapping slightly.

Here is a photo of the piece after texture is complete. But itís still too shiny. 😌

4.  Wet sand #2 - use 1000 grit sandpaper and gently rub the entire surface.  This will burnish the finish and bring out the texture.

5. Touch up as needed. - I use a small artists paint brush to touch up any areas needing it.

6. Apply clear coat. You can black wash prior this step if you wish.  Hereís the finish after the clear coat is applied:

And here is the bucket completely finished.

I also experimented using this technique with the silver metallic paint.  I found the final clear coat somewhat dulled the metallic finish.

So thatís it. I hope you found this helpful and please let me know if you have any questions. 

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2018, 03:09 PM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!