Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP - Valkyrie's First Kit

• 101 Replies

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
Re: WIP - Valkyrie's First Kit
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2018, 10:23 PM »
They look too flat -- like they'll be sticking out past the sides of your knees.  But I don't have any scale references for you in the pic, and it's a forced perspective shot, so like I said, I could be way wrong.

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2018, 10:28 PM »
They look too flat -- like they'll be sticking out past the sides of your knees.  But I don't have any scale references for you in the pic, and it's a forced perspective shot, so like I said, I could be way wrong.

Ohhh okay! Yeah it is a strange angle.
I'm a bit "thick" as one might say. When they're against my body (in a few test runs) they do seem to sit flush with my legs.
But that's an easy fix in the event they are... just a little heat and a bend :)
Thanks!

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2018, 10:29 PM »
Yeah absolutely, 10 minutes or less to fix either way.  Looking forward to seeing your pre-app or pre-preapp pics wiht it all on :)

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2018, 10:38 PM »
Yeah absolutely, 10 minutes or less to fix either way.  Looking forward to seeing your pre-app or pre-preapp pics wiht it all on :)

Thank you!!
We're going to start mounting this week! Exciting!!
I'll post updates as I have them  ;D
you guys are the best, thanks for the support!

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2018, 10:36 AM »
 The other night I sewed all of the velcro for mounting my plates to my flak vest.

Last night after coating the entire kit in a few layers of matte clear-coat I installed the t-visor, ears, padding, and fan system. I'm really loving how this is turning out!

Here's an inside look at my helmet setup.

I'll be attaching the velcro to the armor this evening when I get home from work!

Slade Kel

• Formerly 'Slade Kel (Marrok)'
  • Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Very nice! I'm at the velcro adding stage too, and it's been a ride, needless to say. I think my sewing machine and I have finally come to an arrangement. Here's hoping you don't run into similar problems!

QMU | M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Myra Tiin

• Formerly 'Jorikad'
  • Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2018, 03:10 AM »
Can't wait to see that flat mandalorian being three dimensional :D

Clean work on the velcro, and woa that helmet interior seems great !

Custom Wren Armor - WIP  -
 Queer Mando Unit #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2018, 09:08 AM »
Well... it's been a long time coming but here we are.
I've sent these photos and more to my clan's Ruus`alor and got some great feedback on small things I need to fix (nearly all simple soft-parts weathering issues -- all completely understandable).
This is the first time I tried the whole thing on together. My husband placed the neck plate a liiiiittle high on the velcro mount and I hadn't checked the mirror before taking these photos (haha, oops  :laugh: ).
Thankfully all the plate issues are just velcro adjustments and nothing major.

I'll be posting more of my soft-part weathering as I finish it.

I just wanted to thank everyone again for all of your support and encouragement during this build. You have absolutely been invaluable and I appreciate every single one of you!!

10 minute fix
Fixed those knees!! Look better??

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:12 AM by theValkyrie » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2018, 11:41 AM »
Knees look great :)
 Kit is looking awesome!  Sounds like your ein good hands with your Ruus

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2018, 04:18 PM »
Looking good.
Only thing I can see that lets you down is the loin cloth. I'd highly recommend giving a little shape to it and hemming the edges, then damaging that rather than just tearing a scrap of fabric. And to really tie it in with your kit - how about adding a strip of red or black or painting/embroidering a logo? Compared to the high quality of the rest of the kit it just stands out.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

WIP's: EC, Twi'lek, Demolitions
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2018, 04:45 PM »
Looking good.
Only thing I can see that lets you down is the loin cloth. I'd highly recommend giving a little shape to it and hemming the edges, then damaging that rather than just tearing a scrap of fabric. And to really tie it in with your kit - how about adding a strip of red or black or painting/embroidering a logo? Compared to the high quality of the rest of the kit it just stands out.

Completely agree, its one of the things my Ruus mentioned as well.
Were going to be making some changes to the soft-bits here this weekend  :D

« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2018, 11:51 PM »

I remade my loincloth!! I've also weathered all my soft parts as well.
I'll be trying everything on again tomorrow for more photos.
Hopefully this time I'll be closer to the mark!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!