Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Return of the Slade

• 181 Replies

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Return of the Slade
« Reply #100 on: Feb 22, 2019, 08:32 PM »
I've had constant issues with my right boot plate, so I absolutely feel your pain.  As for your question about the boots, your Q&A question will be published in due time, I'm sure, but the short answer is that no, you don't have to remove the straps and rings.  Personally, I would, but you're welcome to leave them in place.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #101 on: Feb 23, 2019, 08:46 AM »
I'll probably take your advice, you haven't steered me wrong yet.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #102 on: Mar 02, 2019, 10:23 AM »
Straps have been removed from boots, new shins and helmet repaint are coming along swimmingly!

Bit less dramatic as a grease stain, but also within the confines set by our mousy overlords!

The handprint is #backinblack

I can't imagine not having mentioned this already, but just in case, Slade is a mechanic/smith, a grease monkey, so heavier weathering particularly on hands and forearms, shins and knees. Doubt I'll put a particular effort into making this version brigade ready before Celebration, as I want to focus on getting done and reapproved by then, but it oughtta be on the right track.

The markings are inspired by Clan Wren's; I had thought to make Wren markings in my red/gold/purple but decided against it in case it was frowned upon on a non-canon costume.

I've also begun the foray into leatherworking for pouches and holsters!

I'm hoping to get everything wrapped up in a week or two so that there's time to get approved before Celebration D:. Wish me luck!

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #103 on: Mar 02, 2019, 11:52 AM »
This is coming along so very nicely.  This WiP is a pleasure to read.   :)  Now get it done so you can apply!   :P

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #104 on: Mar 03, 2019, 07:47 AM »
This is coming along so very nicely.  This WiP is a pleasure to read.   :)  Now get it done so you can apply!   :P
Doing my best!

Holsters and straps with first round of dye, the tiny bois there will get sewn together and fit over a belt, and the holster straps will snap to them.
 Unfortunately I was a fool and did not put a attachment point for the leg straps on the holsters before putting them together, so I'll have to glue some on or something and hope it holds.

Helmet and shins both clear coated. My new visor is on it's way and should arrive Tuesday, there was some delay in shipping. Today I'll be setting straps on the shins and knees and mount points on the pants, and if the Manda wills it my new vest might even be done.

Havelock

« Reply #105 on: Mar 08, 2019, 01:18 PM »
Niiiiiiiiice

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #106 on: Mar 08, 2019, 02:17 PM »
Need some more "grease/oil" stains on the bottom of the helmet.  :laugh: :P

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #107 on: Mar 08, 2019, 04:36 PM »
Grease stains on the thighs too, from wiping it off your hands maybe?

Looking good. Love the colours

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #108 on: Mar 09, 2019, 11:21 PM »
Thanks guys! I'll take more grease on the helmet into consideration :P, As for thighs, wellll...

Since I've gone away from the Wren colors and some of the style along the course of this build I decided to swap for some traditional thighs. I forgot to grab another pic after finishing the planishing, slapping down some masking fluid and getting the first layer of paint down, but I'll get a shot once the painting is done of course.

Also decided on a Jango-esque cod plate because I do intend on going mechanic as it was my original brigade (and possibly copying Sep with doubling down, perhaps Gunslinger, as I like the cut of it's jib).

Annnnnddddd recently helped a friend (Missmollythecosplayer, if any of y'all are familiar with her on social media) make her first set of armor, and she liked the Rebels style standard backplate. Working on hers gave me some insight into shaping them, after having done my own, so I made a new one that fits better. And this one I did manage to get 'finished' work pics of as the others are taking up the paint hood right now.

Shoutout to Leroy (my old duct tape form, no longer fits since I've dropped 25 pounds since making it) for helping with basic shaping and serving as a pedestal for the pre-sanding/wirebrushing pictures.

I should have more pics soon, and we're really getting down the wire on pre-application. I've fairly to moderately confident that it'll be 'done' in the next week.

Also my missus has finally posted a WIP! Avelin Kel is the post if any of y'all wanna give it a look and let her know how she's doing. The armor was made by the Mandalor so the fit is beautiful, but I think she did a paint job worthy of some praise. Of course, I could be biased, so  :-\

Vhett Naast

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Best Newbie - Official Member in last 12 months with best costume Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #109 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:41 AM »
Backplate looks like it turned out very nice!

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #110 on: Mar 10, 2019, 12:59 PM »
Thanks!

Got some post-paint pics, and post weathering!

I didn't grime up the cod plate dramatically, as it isn't really a plate that would end up saturated so much as hit with backsplash.

Going off of suggestion, I literally set the plates on my thighs, painted my (gloved) hands and wiped them on the plates! Then I used a paper towel to lightly scrub it around as if I quickly wiped them with a rag, and patted them down so that the paint wasn't uniformly thick.

The back plate has not been weathered yet because I still have to add the red markings. It's been clear coated and will be left to sit for a day so that the sealer cures and the tape is less likely to lift the paint. Personally experience has shown that Rustoleum metallics, and particularly the 'aged bronze' that I use as gold, likes to come up off bare metal or primer when taped over, even when left to cure. So over the years I've established a habit of a light clear coat prior to taping, then markings, then weathering, then a couple layers of clear coat. In the next couple days I should be able to get straps on the thighs to match the shins and knees. Once those are done and the back plate is painted, it's really a short list to completion.

Still To-Do
  • Thigh Straps
  • Connection points (magnets and velcro) on vest and pants
  • Gauntlet weapons
  • Back plate paint and weathering
  • Weapon (we're working on making a mold to cast a Westar 35 we 3d printed, the creator of which (3dpicasso) has marked as 'do with as you will, as long as you credit me'. Worst case, if the molding fails we'll just 3d print more of them)
  • extra bits for the belts, tools and greeblies
  • Mount visor in the helmet
  • Probably other stuff that I'm not remembering :P

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #111 on: Mar 15, 2019, 06:46 AM »
So tragedy struck! Minor tragedy. I've lost too much weight in the past month, between diet, exercise and health issues, so my chest plates don't fit right. This led to some reshaping, which led to realizing the diamond cutouts were uneven, which led to trimming and not liking how they look at all. And they still don't fit right. 

Fortunately I can tear through a set of torso armor in a couple-three days if I focus down and don't do anything else. I may go with legacy style plates as they'll be easier to adjust if this weight loss trend continues, and will make the vest's fit less crucial.  I'll look at templates later today and make my decision.

Edit:  So I played around with Falin Skirata and company's old legacy templates, the original set today, and I'm giving them strong consideration.

Obviously I did some modifications, and even more since having those pictures taken. I made the outer angle of the ab plates even and a little sharper, and shortened them all just a hair. My Boba Fett t-shirt is actually a pretty decent reference for this kind of work, as the chest and ab plates are actually almost the right size and very nearly in the right places. The bottom ab plate comes down to a little less than half an inch below my belly button.

Also we're having a thunder storm and my strill is experiencing a heckin' big fear.

It appears that a pillow fort is just what the dogtor ordered.

I'll mess around with other options, as I have until about 11 AM tomorrow before I can start cutting metal anyway.

« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2019, 10:33 PM by Slade Kel » Logged

Havelock

« Reply #112 on: Mar 16, 2019, 12:36 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that you might not be able to use the plates you've already put so much work into, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where you go from here.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #113 on: Mar 17, 2019, 12:36 AM »
Thanks Havelock. Honestly, the chest plates are probably still approvable, with maybe just a little more work but the diamond cut-outs are just not what I want in them, and in frustration I just wanted a change. Since I went away from the Wren grunt build (for now), I decided to go back to my legacy roots after all. After Celebration, I'll revisit the Wren grunt, but for now, I did a thing today!

I ended up tweaking the design a bit for fit and positioning. With the three ab plates, the bottom plate sat too low, but with only two they did not go low enough. Narrowing them further to make the three fit made the balance look off, as did shortening the chest plates enough for three abs or lengthening them enough for two. So I settled on lengthening the two ab plates, and narrowing them more along the lines of Cade Skywalker's armor. Obviously held together with magnets at the moment, so the positioning is slightly off. I also started the back plate, but I need to make a new duct tape torso before I can continue with it. That should be finished tomorrow, and hopefully I'll also get started on the harness to attach it together.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #114 on: Mar 17, 2019, 12:53 AM »
New plates look awesome vod! Nice day's work!!

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #115 on: Mar 17, 2019, 01:12 AM »
Well damn! hey there oldtimer you always been metal?

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #116 on: Mar 17, 2019, 10:07 AM »
New plates look awesome vod! Nice day's work!!
Thanks! I was actually a little surprised myself to make as much progress in a day. Last time I made Legacy plates it took much longer.
Well damn! hey there oldtimer you always been metal?
Yes sir! I've had some sintra plates here and there, but even going back to the tragedy that was my first approved kit, I've mostly done metal. I've been checking in on your sales thread for when you have a helmet slot open so I can go full metal from head to toe! I've tried my hand at a metal helmet a couple of times, but with lacking any welding skill I haven't had a success yet.

Edit:

New back plate nearly complete as well:

Unfortunately, my new duct tape form, Leroy Junior, is a liar and the plate doesn't actually fit on my back that way. Fortunately, should be easily fixed by adding a third plate between those too, so very minor setback. Considering I chose to scrap almost my whole torso setup due to quality dissatisfaction two days ago, I'm in good shape. Also fortunately, all of the rest of my armor is pretty well come together. I just need to mount attachment points on the pants and I can do a test fit and show-off of the lower body armor.

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2019, 01:28 PM by Slade Kel » Logged

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #117 on: Mar 19, 2019, 10:11 AM »
Lol Ill have to incvite you to join the Aluminati. My most up to date stuff is on facebook(bad of me, I know.. my harddrive is being recovered rate now so i cn get back to restoring my sales thread to). Just finishing up the prior helmet run(welder exploded) now so next run will probably be august/september roughly thereabouts.
https://www.facebook.com/AcacinArmouries/

What you have there looks great so far tho, not too long ago I was talking to thaxos about how all the popular mercs from when I was UM seem to have vanished lol. Also are you going to do any packpieces like how the comic legacy armour has an air supply like TKs?

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #118 on: Mar 20, 2019, 05:17 PM »
I'm definitely up for joining the Aluminati, and I actually follow your armory page on Facebook! August/September is perfect for a next run from a 'time to save money' perspective, so certainly color me interested :).

I'm glad you're liking what you see, and yeah, I noticed when I returned that a lot of the old frontrunners weren't involved anymore, and given my own hiatus I can understand why. I'm hoping to get fully back in and more involved once I'm out of retirement. The plan is to build up a back plate much like the comic references, but currently I've been running into trouble with metal quality from local suppliers, and with the Celebration Crunch getting into full swing, I've had to compromise for the sake of getting my and my fiancee's armor done in time. To that effect, after struggling for a while with the back plate shown previously, I've revised and gone with a layered style inspired by Sep's back plate using scrap pieces I had laying around and an old plate I could salvage. I'm satisfied with the look of it, for now at least, and I'll revisit a full legacy back plate after Celebration when I can take the time to order some steel shipped to me.

In the meantime, this ol' boy will have to do:

Again, Leroy Jr's back is a little untrustworthy, but when draped on myself-myself, the lowest point is about even with the lowest point on the bottom ab plate, and the negative space should be filled in pretty well by my girthbelt and ammo belt.

Fortunately, the future missus's plates were commissioned, made by the bossman in the Warmaster's Workshop videos, so I haven't had to worry about major unforeseen fit and shaping problems. It's just been a matter of paint and attachment, and hopefully we'll be done with that before the week's out.

Edit: Finished strapping the plates together, and working on the shoulder straps to connect back to front.

As of these images, the positioning was a little off. Even just since then I've brought the left side of the back plate up half an inch to match the strap length of the right side, which centered it more fully on my back. I'm a little concerned about the width of the back plate, but I'm hoping it isn't too narrow. Once I have the base paint down, I'll take another picture with my vest and proper flight suit top on.

« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2019, 07:13 PM by Slade Kel » Logged

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #119 on: Mar 21, 2019, 10:02 PM »
24 hours isn't double posting, eh? If it is, I throw myself upon the mercy of the moderators  :porg1:

Paints and base weathering down, probably gonna add a little detail weathering and then clear coat.

More to come, now for bed, gotta be in for 0500 which means up at 0330 thanks to the commute.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #120 on: Mar 21, 2019, 11:09 PM »
It's coming together quickly, thanks for the compliment above :) Your wife's kit is coming together too!

Home stretch for you both.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #121 on: Mar 23, 2019, 01:39 AM »
It's coming together quickly, thanks for the compliment above :) Your wife's kit is coming together too!

Home stretch for you both.

Thanks :D! Your armor has been a pretty big inspiration for this plot twist build, especially as the Slade armor was a mechanic in the old days too. I'm not sure if the tools will be done for Celebration, as I'm focusing on base approval right now, but I think I'm getting pretty close. I spent my lunch break today (yesterday, technically as it's past midnight :P) putting together lists of To-Do's, one of which is all of the Mission Critical stuff. I'm basically down to tailoring my flight suit top, adding attachment points to flight suit bottom for lower body armor and to the vest to keep the torso harness in place, installing the visor in my bucket and weathering all of my soft parts and leather goods. I genuinely intend to at least get pre-app pictures in this weekend, barring utter disaster.

Managed a test fit of the painted, weathered and sealed torso plates.

Re-mounted the torso plates with heavier leather internal straps, as the original straps were already starting to stretch, and fixed up my failed vest. Avelin made me a perfectly functional vest using PointofOrigin's old tutorial...and then I lost a few inches off of my waist-stomach and turned it into a sack :P. The one in the pictures is a mess of darts on the front as I had no idea what I was doing, but it was easier to bring the side panels in on that one, and the mess is covered by the armor plates anyway, so no muss, no fuss.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #122 on: Mar 23, 2019, 08:51 AM »
Getting closer and closer, vod!  Keep up the good work!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #123 on: Mar 24, 2019, 09:14 AM »
Great work vod

and yea the OG mercs coming back must see me and be like

« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2019, 09:26 AM by Dresdon Acacin » Logged

Avelin Kel

• OM#2248
« Reply #124 on: Mar 24, 2019, 06:17 PM »
Keep up the good work husband :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!