Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Calico Mando Concept

• 18 Replies
Calico Mando Concept
« on: Mar 10, 2018, 08:38 PM »
I got some positive and helpful feedback from the App team for both my 40s style and my pirate style armor, but my wife is now lobbying to definitely go with the Calico Jack inspired motif.

Most people probably know this already, but Calico Jack was a minor pirate in the early 18th century. He wasn't very ambitious or successful and was certainly among the least vicious of any of his contemporaries, but he had a flair for the dramatic that made him pretty memorable. He's basically the real-world pirate that Hondo Ohnaka was likely based on. I want to create a Mando character with the same sort of personality - former military who has turned mercenary/privateer/pirate because roaming around fighting and stealing, and not having to follow orders while doing it, is fun to him. He doesn't make great decisions, and is probably too soft-hearted for most of the Mercs he works with. 

The armor would be relatively light (no thigh, shins, or bicep plates) because a character that spends his time on the ocean is probably going to minimize the amount of metal he wears, and because the character probably doesn't take being shot at as seriously as he should. The plates probably wouldn't be too weathered, if at all, because the character would be vain enough to keep his armor clean and shiny, and probably restless enough to out-and-out repaint it regularly on a whim (not that I would in reality, I'm just saying most of the plates would always look like they had been painted within the past few weeks). I would intend to do short sleeves, with brightly colored scarves under the gauntlets  and fingerless gloves. Hopefully when I move forward with the armor I can afford a back plate (a pirate should always be prepared to get shot in the back), but I intend to have some form of cape either way.

The overall outfit will be really gaudy and probably noisy, because the character is the sort who'd believe that more of something - including colors and decorations - is always better. Gold will be a major color, for a variety of ridiculous reasons, including the cliche piratical obsession with gold. I'm figuring plates  will either be gold or trimmed with gold, over a white or sandy-tan jumpsuit (kind of depends on what I can find), with brown leather straps and brightly colored scarves (probably red, blue, or orange).

I've done a couple passes experimenting with colors, although the gold I used came out looking more green when I scanned the pics.

The bucket I'm hoping to paint like a Firaxan shark (from the original KOTOR game) though it occurred to me that one of the sea creatures from Episode I would also be good inspiration.

Should I go with a red visor?

For weapons, I'd need a cutlass-like vibroblade, and I'd like to try and make an ion pistol that sort of looks like an 18th century musket. Ion pistols have the sort of musket look anyway, and I figure it makes sense for a pirate - especially a more laid back one - to keep a non-lethal weapon on him.

The cape I actually want to be a black-flag of some form, with a white Star Wars-ified Jolly Roger, though you'd only be able to recognize the pattern if someone held the cape up (hanging from one shoulder it'd just be a black and white cape). I want to keep the skull and crossed blades, since Calico Jack was the one who actually flew that flag, but obviously I want the skull and weapons to look like they belong in Star Wars.

For the skull, the sensible thing would be to use a Mythosaur skull, but honestly, I was always kind of lukewarm towards that design (heresy, I know). So I figured either an Iridonian or a Devaronian skull would be distinctively different from a human skull, and an Iridonian skull (thanks to Darth Maul) will probably be immediately recognizable as Star Wars-related to many people (and given Maul's interaction with the Mandos in Clone Wars, it kind of makes sense).

For the blades I redesigned the cutlasses on the historical flag to look a bit sci-fi but I don't think my redesign is obvious enough unless you have the real flag there for reference. If anyone knows any appropriate canon  weapons that fit the general shape of the cutlasses, that'd be really helpful.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Calico Mando Concept
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2018, 08:48 PM »
Very detailed concept write up :)

Just a word of caution -- we approve kits based on the quality of their construction, and their compliance with the CRL's, not based on the quality of their backstory ;)  That said, most of what you're describing seems to be within the CRL's. 

For me, the flag is still too close to the flag it's derived from.  I am sure others will weigh in, but you probably want to run the flag concept, maybe wiht some other alternatives through the APP Team Q&A form to get official word on it before you carry forward making it.

Watching your build with interest.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2018, 09:27 PM »
Very detailed concept write up :)

Just a word of caution -- we approve kits based on the quality of their construction, and their compliance with the CRL's, not based on the quality of their backstory ;)  That said, most of what you're describing seems to be within the CRL's.

Thanks, and yeah I understand. My main passion is writing, and one of the books I've written is about Anne Bonny, so I've spent a lot of time over the past couple of years with pirates on the brain. So any time there's an excuse to write up a backstory, I go full out overkill. I used to play an online text-based Transformers game, and all of my characters had bios at least a page long, I rotated in new characters multiple times, and I ended up writing other player's character bios, just to have an excuse to write more characters.

For me, the flag is still too close to the flag it's derived from.  I am sure others will weigh in, but you probably want to run the flag concept, maybe wiht some other alternatives through the APP Team Q&A form to get official word on it before you carry forward making it.

The flag will doubtless be the last thing I make, and nothing else really depends on it, so it's not that big a deal, but right now drawing is about all I can afford to do, so I'm probably going to end up giving it way more thought than it warrants. :-)

A ryyk blade would be a Star Wars weapon that looks generally like a cutlass, but it's a pretty lazy design - while it has appeared in various things, it's not really obvious that it's not just a real world scimitar, so using  ryyk blades for the cape design wouldn't make it look much less terrestrial. Also, it's a Wookie weapon, and I'm not sure the character would put Wookie swords on his cape.

Having a less human skull would also make a huge difference, but I'm not sure what other options would make sense. Nemoidian? Rodian? Gungan? Trandoshan? And we've seen (sadly) very few Star Wars characters without their faces, so I've not found many references. Grievous's Khaleesh (pre-cyborg) mask might be a good thing to work from I suppose. I could also tie in with the ion blaster and put a dismembered droid head on the flag... that might be kind of funny...

Ooh... or maybe Durge from the old Darkhorse Clone Wars comic. I might be able to infer what his skull would have looked like...

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2018, 09:47 PM »
Totally understand the writer thing, just wanted to clarify :)

dismembered droid head on the flag

Dismembered DROID (also makes sense with your ion blaster primary)  head might work (humanoid head dismembered will hit the gore clause) , it's the skull and crossed something that just reads super earthy (to me).  Maybe platy with different positions for the weapons instead of crossed, but keep the black and white colors -- play with it so that it's inspired by without just being a star-wars wash over an existing flag :)

What about drawing some inspiration from Hondo Onaka?

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Dismembered DROID (also makes sense with your ion blaster primary)  head might work (humanoid head dismembered will hit the gore clause) , it's the skull and crossed something that just reads super earthy (to me).  Maybe platy with different positions for the weapons instead of crossed, but keep the black and white colors -- play with it so that it's inspired by without just being a star-wars wash over an existing flag :)

Yeah, it may come to that. I really want to keep the skull and crossed swords because it has personal meaning to me, but I guess having a black flag is better than not having one at all. Do you think it would make a difference if the background had red stripes? That's actually what the characters in my book use for a flag...

What about drawing some inspiration from Hondo Onaka?

I love the character and there's definitely going to be an influence there, but his pirate-logo (for lack of a better term) is kind of... meh. I don't know, it could look good in white on black:

There's also a weird design that's used in a couple of places that is obviously intended to evoke the crossed sabers or bones. Cade Skywalker's armor has the pattern - what to me looks like four tentacles - arranged around chest diamond. He also has a red arm tattoo with a skull and the same tentacle things. Tweaking the chest symbol I end up with this:

... Which actually looks a little like a stylized front view of a Starviper. If I swap the diamond out for droid head or a Gen'dai skull that might be a reasonable middle ground?

EDIT: Okay, this might still be too on the nose with the reference, but I couldn't not post it.

EDIT II: This... kind of looks more like a butterfly than anything else...

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2018, 02:32 PM by Caelus_Prime » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2018, 02:38 PM »
We're getting into personal preference now, but I really like the Diamond one -- it says Mando Pirate to me, not Pirate Mando -- if that makes any sense? Which is where you really want to be for crossover stuff. Start mando, then inspiration :)

« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Well, I finished my PhD, so I finally bit the bullet and dropped the money on a bucket and an Eternal Armory Ultimate Kit to celebrate. I would have liked to spread out my spending more (at least buy the armor, weapons, and jet-pack separately) but this is probably the last order they will fill. Seriously wincing at the final bill - I may need to give up my Transformers collecting to cover the cost. But, this will give me a reason to get out of the house and do stuff, which I really need.

The kit comes with all of the hard parts, but I still need the jumpsuit, vest, boots, gloves, and any other soft parts. Can anyone recommend a pattern for the vest?

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2018, 12:34 PM »
caniballize a t-shirt that fits you well, cut off the sleeves, and use that as the basis for your vest pattern.  Add allowances for overlap at the sides for vest closure, and shoulders for same.

KanoFett

• Help me Solo Green Kenobi... You're my only hope
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2018, 09:51 PM »
Without a doubt  I like this one best!

It’s like an Imperial Rorschach test, and I see Jabba’s head in a tie interceptor.

If I read your post correctly, this flag is a black and white version of the Hondo Onaka flag, but I think it’s the least terrestrial looking one so far, and very organic looking in its design.

« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2018, 09:58 PM by KanoFett » Logged
"Mandalorian Assassin- the very best there is... when you absolutely positively gotta kill every motivator in the room, accept no substitutes"
- Mace Windu
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2018, 01:07 PM »
All of my armor pieces have arrived from Eternal Armory, so I'm committed now! lol

Without a doubt  I like this one best!

It’s like an Imperial Rorschach test, and I see Jabba’s head in a tie interceptor.

If I read your post correctly, this flag is a black and white version of the Hondo Onaka flag, but I think it’s the least terrestrial looking one so far, and very organic looking in its design.

I'm leaning towards the emblem on Cade Skywalker's armor:

« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:33 PM »
Update:

Helmet: T-Slot is cut out of front. Need to cut out the space for the key-slots, cover up some errors with bondo, and then I'll be ready to start the paint process. Question - Should I assemble the ear caps before painting, or paint those pieces separately, and then attach them? If I attach them first, I'm worried the solvent in the paint will dissolve whatever adhesive I use to attach the caps, but if I attach them after painting, I'm worried that adhesive won't bond well to the painted surface.

Flight Suit/Flak Vest: We've bought materials and have patterns. Decided to go with basic black for the flight suit, and have two color options for the vest. Question: Will exposed laces on the sides of the vest be okay, or do they need to be covered up?

Cape: Found a really cool fabric that has a shiny/reflective emerald green painted onto a raised-hexagon pattern/texture. Looks kind of like a sci-fi solar panel. Backside is straight black, so I'm going to paint my pirate flag on the back of the pattern, and have it reversible.

Armor: Started fiddling with the gauntlets, trimming off excess plastic, but don't want to get ahead of myself. Also, manage to saw the tactical rail off a Nerf gun to attach to one of my gauntlets. That should be pretty cool if I can affix it well.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2019, 12:48 PM »
Question - Should I assemble the ear caps before painting, or paint those pieces separately, and then attach them? If I attach them first, I'm worried the solvent in the paint will dissolve whatever adhesive I use to attach the caps, but if I attach them after painting, I'm worried that adhesive won't bond well to the painted surface

Glue them on first.  The solvent in the paint isn't as likely to dissolve the glue as the reverse. 

« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2019, 01:02 PM »
Glue them on first.  The solvent in the paint isn't as likely to dissolve the glue as the reverse.

Thanks!

« Reply #13 on: Jun 03, 2019, 11:21 PM »
Slooooooow progress is still progress, right?

« Reply #14 on: Jun 09, 2019, 06:14 PM »
Question about belts - is an ordinary buckle allowed?

I found a nice leather belt at a renn faire. It was 'piratey' with a shoulder strap, has means to attach pouches, cases, etc., and the vendor has offered to make me a properly sized one on commission, but its two buckles are 100% ordinary, not fancy or futuristic.

I'm completely fine with it and think it will look good over a sash, but I know elements like zippers, Velcro, etc. must be hidden, so I was worried ordinary buckles would also be taboo.

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: Jun 10, 2019, 02:10 PM »
Pic of the belt? most normal style buckles are allowed, Han had a simple double prong belt as well as his big metal buckle gun belt. Basically just don't make the normal buckle a priority.
as for swords, you should look at

:like:

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

« Reply #16 on: Jun 10, 2019, 03:51 PM »
Pic of the belt? most normal style buckles are allowed, Han had a simple double prong belt as well as his big metal buckle gun belt. Basically just don't make the normal buckle a priority.

Here's the belt on the vendors online store: https://www.ladyhethersfashions.com/product-page/mens-one-strap-belt

as for swords, you should look at

:like:

I knew I'd seen a sword like that somewhere before! It must have been in that. What comic is that?

I do have a sword that should clear the requirements - I bought a cheap toy of Vizsla's Darksaber on Amazon, painted the blade solid opaque silver, and the hilt gold. It has the shape of a canonical Mandalorian weapon without being a lightsaber. I'm going to wrap the grip, probably, and maybe attach a magnet to it so I can stick it to my armor like my guns.

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Jun 10, 2019, 06:52 PM »
I'm not sure the pictures origins, I just seen it floating around.
The belt might work, I'm more concerned with the lacing on the back though.
To be honest you could make one of those for a fraction of the priceI did for my kit and I promise you I had no leather crafting skills to speak of lol

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

« Reply #18 on: Jun 10, 2019, 08:37 PM »
I think I'll need laces to get it to fit right, and being in the back they should be easy to cover with a scarf or such. 

Everything DIY on this project has come out crappy, and between the baby coming, the basement remodeling, the research paper I have to revise, and the novel I need too finish, I'm completely fine paying for a belt.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!