Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

One more try at scratch building Homer style

• 16 Replies
One more try at scratch building Homer style
« on: Mar 18, 2018, 09:55 PM »
This will be my third attempt at a scratch built helmet. The previous two attempts met with varying degrees of disaster. But as the old saying goes "If at first you don't succeed; keep banging your head against a wall." Or something like that.
 So with skate helmet and Homer buckets in hand I copied out the templates for the shell and came up with this

Then after securing the visor in place I decided to have a go at cutting and installing the cheeks. This is the part that had tripped me up in the past and so I was surprised, and maybe a little worried, by how easily they fit in place.

Currently the cheeks are just secured on the insides by Gorilla Tape  I'll be hot gluing them tomorrow and also try to at least start filling in the top holes with some Apoxie Sculpt.

All in all I'm pretty happy with how things are going and look forward to even more progress in the near future. Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any advice you'd care to throw my way.

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
Re: One more try at scratch building Homer style
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2018, 10:27 PM »
Good work vod!  It was my third homer attempt that finally became my bucket too!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2018, 09:53 PM »
Quick update I've been able to get some work done on my helmet and wanted to share the results. I have the top ho;es filled in and sanded to a relatively smooth finish. I also filled in the cheeks with probably a little more Apoxie Sculpt than I should have.

I'll probably hit the whole thing with a coat of primer next just so it is all one color. That may help to show me exactly how things are coming along but I think I see a lot of sanding in my future. Any thoughts?

Bowfanny

• GENERAL SHINANIGATOR
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2018, 04:20 AM »
Less sanding than if you’d have gone Pepakura route or 3d printed.

« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2018, 07:45 PM »
So the weather was finally nice enough for me to throw a coat of primer on my bucket. I wanted to get an idea of how it looked in a single color. The results are as follows

Obviously it is not the most even coat but it gives me an idea of what really needs to be worked on. The good news is I'm making progress. The bad news is there is still a ways to go. Prime, sand, repeat. Thanks for looking and again any critiques or suggestions are welcome. More updates soon I hope.

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2018, 08:52 PM »
You're really getting there :)  The filled helmet holes are what really jump out at me, and a little more sanding to the top corners of the mandibles.   Also looks like you have a boba dent forming.   First primer coat does tell you a lot on these!

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2018, 06:25 PM »
Yeah I noticed the "Boba dent". Completely unintentional, everywhere else I used too much filler and there not enough.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 09:06 PM »
So a quick progress update. After spending the past few weeks sanding, sanding and then sanding again I feel like I'm making serious progress on my bucket. I threw a new coat of primer on it this afternoon to see what's what and I'm pretty happy with the results.

So the cheeks still need some work. More sanding and filling in around the top edges. The back needs to be cleaned up where the the two edges originally overlapped. The dome also needs a bit more work filling in the dent on the front and sanding down some of the more stubborn high spots but all in all I'm feeling good about how things are coming along.

What do you think? Have I missed anything that is standing out and needs attention? Any and all suggestions and constructive criticisms are welcome. Thanks again for looking and hopefully more updates to come soon.

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 10:22 PM »
You're making great progress :)   Just a bit more sanding the highs, and a bit more filling the lows and you'll be there.  Weathering can hide some of thesins depending on the look you're going for.

Kol Var'Das

• Beanpole
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Little bit of smoothing and you'll be perfect! Making some great progress!

« Reply #10 on: Jun 11, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Update time. So after sanding, sanding and more sanding I wanted to share where I stand with this helmet.

The good news is the dome is all but done as I see it. The bad news is those cheeks just don't want to smooth out no matter how much I sand. Honestly I'm tempted to just call the boo-boos on the T visor "battle damage" and try to hide them by weathering. I definitely feel like I'm in the home stretch and don't necessarily want to cut corners but I'm losing my mind with all of this sanding.

Anyway that's all for right now. Thanks again for looking and hopefully more updates to come soon.

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #11 on: Jun 11, 2018, 09:57 PM »
Dome looks good. 

The right side of the helmet is warping down and outward from the center of the helmet.  That needs to be pulled back in.  You can put a brace behind the bottom of the visor made out of sintra or bucket plastic.   

The cheeks still need some work as generally battle damage removes rather than adding material.  So like divots and scratches make sense, lumps don't.    To get it all the way smooth, you need to sand off all of the highs, and then fill the lows that leaves you with.  Then sand the highs from the filling back down.

You're getting there vod!  Scratch builds are challenging. You can do it though, and you'll be all the happier when you wear it!

« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2018, 08:51 PM »
Thanks Sep, That advice may be the kick in the butt I need to finish this properly. I've been working on it so long that cutting corners now is only going to cheat myself and really what's the rush?

Now where did that sandpaper go?

More updates to come soon, I hope.

Mudgunner

• Service and Sacrifice
« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2018, 11:59 PM »
Thats looks really good considering where you started and i would take great pride in it, not the easiest route to go but one you can really take pride in, loving the progress, looking forward to seeing more from you on it :)

Nellus Karstagg

• Formerly 'Sregor01'
« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2018, 05:54 PM »
You have way more guts than me Vod, I never even for a second considered a scratch build. It looks good, can't wait to see more!!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!