Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Grant - Custom Mando Upgrades (And now with a Season 3 Sabine!)

• 33 Replies

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
I just got approved a couple of weeks ago with a bare bones clan wren plate. I really want to start upgrading my kit and add more stuff to really make the kit feel impressive and lived in! The bottom left picture is a picture of my kit and the bottom right picture is a rough sketch of what I'd at least like to add right now. It's a lot!

To Do List (as of April 3rd)
- Solder Helmet Fans
- Fix rangefinder attachment
- Bicep Plates
- New Knees (Sabine Style)
- Shins
- Boot Plates
- Upgrade Gauntlets (April Storm)
- Neck Armor
- New Vest (Puffier)
- Cape
- Pouches
- Grenades
- Jetpack

In terms of what I've actually worked on:

1) I fell off the Season 3 Sabine bandwagon, but I still have the shin and knee armor from that build. I repainted them to have the same metallic color as my other kit. I  borrowed the boot armor from my boyfriend's Death Watch kit and will be making my own. Also, I'd like to eventually add a heel armor in the back as well.

2) I'd like to make it into the Urban Assault Brigade at some point. One of the requirements is to feature three grenades prominently on my kit. I bought some .75" PVC pipe and end caps that I thought looked a little like the TK thermal detonators. I hope they don't look too obviously like PVC piping. I realize I still need to sand the text on the end caps and repaint them a bit. I was thinking that I would make a wrap that would go around my bicep or on my belt. I made a mock arm bandolier(?) though I'm sort of worried that the PVC would be too heavy to hold up on my arm alone.

3) With the help of my old clan mate from Wolves of Mandalore, I was able to 3D print a pair of April Storm gauntlets. I got them sanded, primed, and installed some electronics. They're just a string of Christmas lights I got from the Dollar Tree that go to a AA battery on the bottom half of the gauntlet. There is 3mm colored acrylic I got from the scrap bin of Tap Plastics to give it the red and blue color.

I am slowly working on a Jango Fett Arena pepakura file I got from TDH. I also really, really want to paint my kit with more colors but I'm sort of scared to settle in one or two colors and/or patterns. Hopefully I'll feel more adventurous soon.

Please feel free to leave me any feedback or advice. Thank you for reading!

« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2018, 12:58 AM by grantaire » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Grant - Custom Mando Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2018, 12:49 AM »
"I'm approved!" *deep sigh of relief"  -- pause for 20 seconds -- "Time to start upgrading!"   -- you're a true Merc :) Went through this exact same emotional cycle post approval.  Just had a clan mate get OM, and she posted her Approval letter, then said "Time to start planning upgrades" 

They're never done.

I like your concepts.  Do the grenades actually fit back out of the loops? 
Thigh armor is something I've gotta figure out for demolitions, but I am NOT excited about it based on the other complaints I've seen from people getting it to hang right, stay put, feel comfortable etc. 

Will be watching your build :) Love your kit!

Sto-Las Amari

• Never stop fighting for what you believe in
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2018, 02:05 AM »
Awesome stuff Sharon, just let me know if you need anything and ill do my best to craft it from up here!

grantaire

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2018, 03:16 AM »
Do the grenades actually fit back out of the loops? 
Thigh armor is something I've gotta figure out for demolitions, but I am NOT excited about it based on the other complaints I've seen from people getting it to hang right, stay put, feel comfortable etc. 

They don't, but I haven't glued the end caps so I can just pop the caps off out with a little force. Then I just have to slip the pvc out of the loop to take the rest of the grenade out. It seems to work at least for right now? I don't know if that's a good long term solution.

Having seen thigh plates on my clan mates, I've noticed that its helpful to have two belts. One belt that goes around the thigh and prevents your thighs from flapping when you walk. And one belt that attaches to your main belt or a belt around your waist to keep your armor from slipping. I'll try to do something similar with my kit and let you know how it goes.

GoldenCat

• Honorable Fighter
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2018, 05:00 AM »
Cool, love seeing Wren-style armor  8)

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2018, 09:47 AM »
That's such a good idea to use pipe parts for grenades!  I think that once they're painted and weathered they wouldn't appear to be pipe parts, and either way, Star Wars costumes are known for incorporating found parts. 

About adding extra colours, I've always been a big fan of using complimentary colours since it really adds an extra pop to a kit, even when heavily weathered.  The complimentary colour for yellow is purple, I think some dusty weathered purple would look really nice as an accent colour.  Just an idea :)

Also, a tip about thigh armour: use a TON of velcro!  The main reason why people have issues with their thigh armour flapping and hanging loose is because they only put a strip or two right down the middle of the armour.  The key to making it realistic is to keep the edges close to the legs and in order to do that velcro has to be added around the entire inside edge of the plates.  This is what I did for mine and it keeps my thigh armour nice and close to my legs without the need for a strap, although I do plan to add straps in the future for style purposes.  My thighs used more velcro than any other pieces but it was worth it.

I'm excited to see what you'll do with your upgrades :D

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2018, 07:40 PM »
Watching this with a great deal of excitement.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Also, a tip about thigh armour: use a TON of velcro!  The main reason why people have issues with their thigh armour flapping and hanging loose is because they only put a strip or two right down the middle of the armour.

The other reason for loose thigh armour is that it has not been shaped correctly. The majority of thighs are entirely 3D. Just shaping something around the leg does not work. The top and bottom must also be shaped to conform to the muscle shape or no matter how much velcro you use either top of bottom will be floating.

My last set of thighs were shaped in all directions and used just a drop leg strap and a round the leg strap - no velcro at all and yet had no lift in any direction.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2018, 07:15 PM »
I like the idea of the grenades, and I agree with Evaar'la, once they are painted and weathered I'll bet you'll have made them pretty convincing!

I also love the idea of lights in the gauntlets, thanks for showing an inside view! It's so cool what can be made with found parts sometimes!  ;D

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2018, 02:37 AM »
Rebels style plates for the rebels style god!

Always good to see more kits going this route :)

And i'm following this!

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2018, 06:42 PM »
I'm working on a Wren-inspired kit right now! I'm excited for these upgrades you're working on; the base kit is nicely done, and the upcoming parts on the concept look like they'll round it out nicely :).

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

grantaire

« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2018, 01:29 AM »
Some progress:

1) The new April Storm gauntlets should be good to go. I added the design that Sabine has on her S3-4 vambraces with paint pen (inspired by Eitanya's work). It's not super neat, but hopefully with some weathering and distress it'll hide some of the minor mistakes

2) I sewed some elastic together and looped it onto my belt. I've since changed the color of the grenades to metallic that matches the rest of my plates. Now, I just need to add thigh plates and figure out what I want to do for my breaching device to apply to the Urban Assault brigade.

3) I put together a pepakura jetpack from Skip's costumes I found from the TDH forums. Since the picture, I had added a thin layer of resin. A lot of the jetpack is in separate parts (thrusters, rocket tip), so I don't think i can just fiberglass mat the inside. I intend to rondo the outside to further reinforce the pepakura and then use a can spray filler to fill in the inside of the jetpack (according to Orikad from this thread). I'm really worried about weight and I was thinking I would mix the rondo 1/3rd bondo to 2/3rds fiberglass, but any advice would be really appreciated! 

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2018, 05:20 AM »
2) I sewed some elastic together and looped it onto my belt.

Don't forget to cover it with another material. I use elastic and leather - leather looks like it's holding things in place, sneaky elastic underneath actually is doing the trick.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2018, 07:57 AM »
Really like the Wren-style plates. Following with interest!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

grantaire

« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Don't forget to cover it with another material. I use elastic and leather - leather looks like it's holding things in place, sneaky elastic underneath actually is doing the trick.

Is elastic not allowed to be visible on belts as well?

Kris Jasra

« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Elastic may be visible (and preferred to be colour matched), at the elbow, knee, 'Boba thong' and under boots. Everywhere else it must be hidden as best it can.

grantaire

« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Elastic may be visible (and preferred to be colour matched), at the elbow, knee, 'Boba thong' and under boots. Everywhere else it must be hidden as best it can.

I have somehow not known about this part of the CRLs for my entire mando career lol! Hrm... I guess I'll troop without it until I can figure out a way to cover the elastic. Thank you for catching that for me, Kris!

grantaire

« Reply #17 on: Apr 23, 2018, 05:21 PM »
Updates!

So I finally settled on a paint job! I rewatched parts of the Legacy of Mandalore that included all of the different clans in SW Rebels and figured I'd emulate some of styles I found there.

I'm still not done weathering and adding details but this is how it looks so far. I didn't want to repaint my helmet or make a new girth belt so I tried to replace the reds with yellows and bronze to complement the components that I already had. I sort of have mixed feelings about the paint job right now but I think it looks much better than just one steel shade.

I also made some thigh plates! It took a really long time. I spent a whole armor party just shaping and reshaping parts and pieces until it fit relatively well. The thigh plate is held up with nylon straps (one strap to keep the thighs from falling and another strap around the leg to keep it from flapping). There are parachute clips in my inner thigh so that I can take them off or adjust the straps.

I sort of want to mount holsters onto the thigh plates like Death Watch or like Rebels Bo-Katan - but my Rubies Westars are really short. I might try to take some time to make drop holsters out of upholstery vinyl like Sabine or the Clan Wren grunts. I tried making pouches out of that same upholstery vinyl but it didn't come out like how I wanted to.

So I've made a jetpack out of pepakura and reinforced it with resin. But I'm still really scared to move onto Rondo. I still don't know what is the best way to go forward. The pepakura model actually has the middle rocket tip and the two side rocket thrusters(?) separately. So if I try to fiberglass mat or rondo the inside of the jetpack it still won't reinforce everything. But if I rondo the oustide - I worry that I might be sloppy and end up making the jetpack too heavy. I think I'm just scared of messing up all of the work I put in lol...

Before my last troop, I quickly soldered together some 5v brushless squirrel fans to a 9v battery and a switch. I made sure to attach all of the pieces with velcro and blue tape so that if there is ever a short I could just remove the electronics. I pointed the fans to the front so that when they blow they're hitting air to the visor first. When I wear glasses under my bucket, I hate having my vision fog up for any reason. The wiring is not very clean but you can see how it's set up below.

And I think that is it for now. I still need to figure out a different way to mount the grenades on my kit. I also need to make a breaching device (though I still haven't really decided on what breaching device to make). Once I figure out those two things I think I'll be ready to submit to the Urban Assault brigade. After that, I was considering possibly dual brigading into Force Hunter! And that will be a new list of upgrades and things to do.

Any advice or constructive criticism is much appreciated. Thanks for reading!

« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2018, 05:29 PM by grantaire » Logged

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Grant - Custom Mando Upgrades (New Pics on Page 2)
« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2018, 06:13 PM »
Very good choice on the style, and I like the weathering on the plates.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

grantaire

« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2018, 06:16 PM »
Very good choice on the style, and I like the weathering on the plates.

Thanks! It's just toothpaste method and then going over everything with some coarse steel wool to get some of the layers off. I still need to black wash everything to bring the colors closer together but I'm hoping I can do that all in one go at the end when I'm feeling more confident about the entire paint job.

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2018, 01:16 AM by grantaire » Logged

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #20 on: Apr 24, 2018, 05:20 AM »
Aaaahhh I love your plates design! Paint job looks perfect :D
Good luck with the jetpack! Apply your rondo in really light passes spot by spot makes it easier to get a smooth finish. Takes long but worth it.

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #21 on: Apr 24, 2018, 07:35 AM »
Don't be scared with the Rondo - get some good, thick coats of resin on there, hit it with a primer grey and then, find a section to work on - mix up a SMALL amount of filler and paste it onto the flat areas and spread it/sculpt to create the curves you want (what you're mostly trying to do is create a curve between the 4 flat corners of each pepakura segment), let it dry, then sand with rough sandpaper to take off the big lumps/brush marks, then lighter sandpaper to get smooth.

Rinse, repeat, working your way around the pack.

The real trick is NOT slathering the entire pack with filler and struggling to rescue the shape from there - do it in sections - perhaps start on the cone at the top of the pack first to get the method down and then work slowly down the pack as you gain confidence.

Every so often, respray with primer grey to give your eyes a base level to gauge your progress.  Don't be afraid to put on another coat of resin to smooth things out - that can help strengthen as well as fill in the big gouges that sanding sometimes levels.

Of course, if you need practice - how about cutting out a second nose-cone and making that to try out first?  If it turns out great, you can always cut off the one on the original pack and glue that on.  If it's a fail, you'll likely have learned a whole bunch and won't have done it on your masterpiece.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #22 on: Apr 25, 2018, 05:55 AM »
Excellent progress! On rondo, etc, definitely ditto Syko there. Little bits at a time is key to avoiding over doing it. I'm a terrible culprit of trying to do it all at once and every single time it just makes more work for yourself by the end.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

grantaire

« Reply #23 on: Aug 06, 2018, 12:58 AM »
Thanks for all of the advise guys. I have since rondo'ed the jetpack and it came out pretty decently. I will say that the fierfek's Jango Arena jetpack isn't great. Because the pepakura template has the thrusters, rocket tips, and the body of the jetpack as all done in separate pieces, it's sort of impossible to rondo everything on the inside. I can tell that areas on the sides that aren't as reinforced because the thrusters were in the way of the rondo seeping into some of the corners. I'm tempted to try to do another pepakura jetpack with another .pdo but I will admit it's a little awkward living in a 2nd story apartment to emit awful smelling and toxic fumes on my balcony. Especially because my apartment complex has lots of kids, I really don't know how comfortable I should be making rondo right next to their houses (much less how courteous it must make me seem...). Maybe I could make the body of the jetpack with sintra and try to just rondo the rocket tips and thrusters on my own, but we’ll see if I have the time.

I wish I had a better picture, but I had trooped with it on. Since the jetpack was so light, I could just attach it with long strips of sticky back industrial velcro to my back plate. I also added some more weathering on my plates with black + brown + little red acrylic. I like how it adds a little bit of a rust vibe to the silver metallic paint.

I still have a ton of upgrades (and loadout) I have planned out that you can see in my Brigade WIP.

In other news, a local Rebel Legion member in San Diego has really been encouraging me to restart on my Sabine. I was really dissuaded last year that I stopped the kit midway, so I have a lot of the pieces made already. I’m currently going for Season 3A version of her costume with the earlier series gauntlets and without the jetpack. I eventually want to save up and invest in the late series purple jetpack and vambraces but that will be a slow investment.

I have a helmet from NME props. I’ve been having trouble with the paint job. The tape keeps on peeling the paint which makes me think I didn’t work hard enough to prep the surface to being with. I just sanded it and started to redo the paint job all over again.

I bought new westars from 3DPropWorks that already have the lines in the paint etched out for me.

I also bought a commlink from another 3D print shop on etsy though I worry that the commlink might not be accurate. I know that Rebel Legion has in their CRL that any commlink will do - but is the MMCC more strict about it?

I’m in the middle of constructing the shirt out of a fashion neoprene. I still need to find a good pant pattern for the trousers. I was thinking about going to Joann’s and just browsing through their yoga pant patterns. If you have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for reading! Sorry that it's been a long time since I last posted and as always I'm super long winded. = u = ;;

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2018, 11:48 AM by grantaire » Logged

Straka Zulu

Re: Grant - Custom Mando Upgrades (And now with a Season 3 Sabine!)
« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2018, 11:24 AM »
Ah, the feels of apartment life... I don't miss it.   :laugh:
Glad to see some progress on the jetpack, and that you're picking the Sabine back up.  Keep at it, vod! :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!