Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jacq's "functional storage" back pack

• 10 Replies
Jacq's "functional storage" back pack
« on: Apr 21, 2018, 05:53 AM »
Hi all,

I've been considering my options on my first build for application and I've come to the decision that I want a backpack. Not only that but I want it to be functional as storage...

I've been looking at the Ralph McQuarrie Boba for inspiration and what I'm thinking is that ill get rid of the "quill" and create a space to mount my sniper rifle.

I got so giddy about this idea that I mocked it up using foam-board!

I need to figure out a few of the details before I can start making it out of something more durable, but I'm liking how it's shaping up.

I'm also considering using magnets to mount it to my back so I can actually get to it. My plan is to create some kind of rail or groove system between the back plate and the pack so it'll stay lined up.

Has anyone had any experience using magnets for this kind of application?

[Edit: wow I did not spell check this at all and my autocorrect went wild in places! All sorted now :D]

sxrojasb

• Death dodges the brave ones
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Jacq's "functional storage" back pack
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 02:27 PM »
Excellent good idea

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 02:58 PM »
Solid concept! As for magnets;  :-\. Honestly, it you put anything of weight in there (or mount the rifle on the pack as intended) you're probably going to run into problems with magnets. You'll either have it falling off, or need so many that it'll be hard to pull it off while suited up, which appears to be your intention. You might be able to pull it off with a combo of magnets and straps. Have a harness to go under you vest with side-release buckles fitted through the back plate. Buckles near the top of the backpack and magnets in the middle and near the bottom to stabilize it in place. Might take some tweaking of your suit to be able to undo/redo the buckles yourself.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 09:00 AM »
Yeah I've been looking at the best way to have it securely fastened but easy to remove/attach.

I figured Id need a harness to hold the weight but haven't yet worked out how to design it so that I can put the pack back on again without too much hassle.

I'm thinking that the harness would need to be attached or connected to my back plate in some way but without actually having one to work with I'm stuck.

Have a harness to go under you vest with side-release buckles fitted through the back plate.

What do you mean by side release buckles?

I've found a few tutorials so I'm hoping to put one together at some point over the next few weeks.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 08:04 PM »

These guys, also commonly referred to as parachute buckles. Typically, for jetpack mounting, you cut slits in the vest and the back plate itself and run the attachments through them. If you look at the templates or vacformed examples of Fett back plates, they have such slits built in. When attaching directly to the back plate, you want it to be a relatively light item, or have the back plate securely mounted like with bolts or Chicago screws.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 08:18 AM »
When attaching directly to the back plate, you want it to be a relatively light item, or have the back plate securely mounted like with bolts or Chicago screws.

Of course! I've been using Chicago screws on my Nerf mod (https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=152228.0 (the thread needs updating, but that's what I've been spending most of my time on recently)), you've given me a great idea for this though...cheers!

;D

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 08:57 PM »
Glad to help vod!

Ritpak Ordo

• Cause normal is boring.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 08:37 PM »
What about a attaching method. Like for instance, a pool cue holder. Has the lock roller so it doesn't fall out. You can create an idea off that or look up "quik fist" it's a tool. Holder for what ever the application. And you can always do that an find a quick lock release strap?

MMCC# 2202
V.O.T.S #82
M.V.S #87
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 08:03 AM »
What about a attaching method. Like for instance, a pool cue holder. Has the lock roller so it doesn't fall out. You can create an idea off that or look up "quik fist" it's a tool. Holder for what ever the application. And you can always do that an find a quick lock release strap?

I like those ideas but it's not what I had in mind for this...

« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2018, 01:52 AM »
I know this is an older thread but if you are still looking for an attachment method for the pack, have you looked into v clip?

Something like Ghostbusters use to attach the wands to the proton packs?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/484834687/metal-v-hook-proton-pack-ghostbusters

« Reply #10 on: Aug 06, 2018, 08:33 PM »
I know this is an older thread but if you are still looking for an attachment method for the pack, have you looked into v clip?

Something like Ghostbusters use to attach the wands to the proton packs?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/484834687/metal-v-hook-proton-pack-ghostbusters

Hey! That's a brilliant idea.

I've not progressed with this at all so I'll add it to my list :D

Thanks.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!