Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Avior's First Armor

• 59 Replies

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Avior's First Armor
« on: Apr 22, 2018, 04:59 PM »
So, I've actually had my chest armor and shoulder bells cut and formed since my first armor party, which was forever ago, but I'm just getting around to posting about it. Onyx of Aiwha Riders Clan did nearly all of that, along with help from several others there.

Now, within the past week or so, I've actually done quite a bit of work. Not all was on my plates, most was on my helmet, but I've got most of it painted.

For the future, I plan for a backplate, cod plate, knees, and gauntlets. I may do shins, but still undecided.
But, none of that will be happening soon, I leave for RTC Great Lakes on Tuesday. But dont fret, I'll be back!

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186
Q.M.U. #92 <-Hey, it rhymes!
House Nelvaan Armored Squirrel #10

Raene

• Former MMO gamer. DragonCon attendee, seamstress,
Re: Avior's First Armor
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2018, 04:05 AM »
Looks great!

“Let me slip into something a little more blaster-resistant."
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2018, 08:24 AM »
Those are some very pink plates! With that green, I really like it  ;D. Great start

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2018, 05:49 PM »
Rise necropost! Rise!
:porg2:
...Ahem... Now that that's out of the way.
So sorry to keep you guys waiting so long for an update. I was away on business, and it didn't allow for anything fun. But, I'm back and ready to go.
Got some painting and weathering done today, no weathering on the chestplates though.

What do you think?

Those are some very pink plates! With that green, I really like it  ;D. Great start
Alas, my friends, they are red.  :) My lighting just really sucks.

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2018, 12:18 AM »
I think we've established that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, and am just winging it at this point. But, here we go, my attempt at weathering armor. Not done by a long shot. Probably going to sand it down a bit. We'll see how it goes.
Sorry for the weird angle.

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2018, 02:51 PM »
That's looking pretty nice.  Get some black wash on it, and that weathering will really pop!  Keep up the great work.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2018, 10:45 PM »
That's looking pretty nice.  Get some black wash on it, and that weathering will really pop!  Keep up the great work.
Starting on that as we speak!

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2018, 01:20 PM »
Simply beautiful.  Great job!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2018, 08:05 PM »
So, I'm back, and I've made progress!  I'm pretty much done with the chest and shoulders, all I've gotta do is attatch it to my vest. Knees are a work in progress and I really hope I can get this all at least wearable by this Sunday for MegaCon. FYI it is much dirtier looking in person, it's not just silver splotches!

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186

Shar Dagger

• Don't be Delicate, Be Vast and Brilliant
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Special Weapons Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Looking great!  :sabine:  Keep up the hard work  :like:

OM: 1688 - Privateer and Heavy Melee Brigade Member: 283
Check out my Instagram: @shar_dagger
The Pirate WIP
Valhalla WIP

theValkyrie

• "Some girls just want to be warlords..."
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2018, 02:25 PM »
Love love loooooove your weathering!! You've done so well!  :<3:

OM 2076 & 2076b

“The quickest way to a man's heart is through the fourth and fifth ribs.”
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2018, 02:29 PM »
That weathering is great.  Any tips?

Cabur Akaata Member #178; Oribru Akaata #46; Grey Brigade/OT Guard #73; (Veteran/ Fire/ EMS/ Old Guy)

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Looking great!  :sabine:  Keep up the hard work  :like:
Thank you! I will! :<3:
Love love loooooove your weathering!! You've done so well!  :<3:
Thank you so much! I think I saw you at MegaCon, your kit is awesome! :porg2:
That weathering is great.  Any tips?
Not sure on tips, but I can tell you what I did, and link you the video I referenced.
To start off, I didn't use any masking fluid or stuff like that, this is all painted onto the surface.
Second, I painted small, "random" silvery patches to the places I wanted more major damage. I let it dry overnight and then dabbed on a mixture of jet black paint and rubbing alcohol, and followed the video from there for the most part. With the paint I used for the silver, it starts to pull away and dissolve a bit with the alcohol when dabbing the excess black paint off, because of the fact that I didn't seal it. I think that makes it look more realistic in my opinion.
I hopes this helps a bit, and here's the video and some more up close photos of the actual plates! :D

https://youtu.be/nKubVz-_Aqo
And the paint I used was just acrylic paint from Wal-Mart.
Also, definitely seal with clear coat after you're done.

« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2018, 08:40 PM by Avior Braisa » Logged
Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186

theValkyrie

• "Some girls just want to be warlords..."
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Thank you! I will! :<3:Thank you so much! I think I saw you at MegaCon, your kit is awesome!

Ah yes!! you probably did!! Great work!! Can't wait to troop with you!

OM 2076 & 2076b

“The quickest way to a man's heart is through the fourth and fifth ribs.”

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Special Operations Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2018, 04:09 PM »
That looks so cool! Great job!

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Happy late Halloween!
Not the greatest quality photo (It was dark), but I test fit last night and handed out candy. I still need  to put together my gauntlets and make a backplate. Otherwise, I think I'm getting close. I also plan to paint my blaster when i have a chance. Critique is always appreciated, I can use all of the help I can get.

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2018, 04:14 PM »
I can't give you a feedback on your torso plates, as most is hidden behind your arms. For this a picture straight from the front with your arms down the side would be great. But I can tell you what I noticed with the rest of the armour.

I can't see any weathering on the soft part. I don't know if you have already weathered them. If there is some weathering pictures in a better light or detail shots would be great. If there isn't any weathering, I should defintitly add some. It will improve the overall look of your kit and by the CRL the weathering of the soft parts has to match the weathering of the plates. That's easy to fix, In the Jadd Halls of Knowledge you can find a tutorial for weathering fabric. You have very light colours for your fabric so weathering would be mostly adding darker colours (spary paint or acrylic paint for example), roughing up the fabric with sandpaper and going over the edges with a scissor or razor blade.

For my liking the loincloth is a tad to long, but that's just personal opinion, so you can leave it as it is. You could a little detail to your loincloth for example a with stripe could look great, but that's not necessary.

The blaster seems to be a Hasbro Star Wars blaster, maybe a Westar 34 (?) from this distance an with your hands covering most of the blaster I can't say much about the blaster. If it is a Hasbro Star Wars blaster, you're good to go. I just have to remove all logos, bondo the screwing holes and repaint it. A close up picture of the blaster would be great for a more in depth feedback.

There are still a few pieces missing on your kit, but you propably know this, and this is just a first test fitting and not the app. Take your time adding those pieces and improving your excisting parts . You've done a solid ground work so far, so keep going, your kit is looking great at the moment, so it'll propably look amazing when you added all the rest.

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2018, 12:18 AM »
Hmm, I'm not very good at updating this consistently am I? Anyways, I've finally gotten around to cutting out patterns for my backplate, while committing treason and watching Star Trek. I'll post sizing pictures tomorrow, but for now here's this.

[Edit] Okay, here we go as promised, this is what I have so far.

I'd like opinions on sizing if possible, also, does it look like I have it positioned right?
I've got my gauntlets in the works thanks to the awesome Mirage, he used some sort of black magic to make them usable and I can't thank him enough. :<3:

« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2018, 08:36 PM by Avior Braisa » Logged
Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2018, 01:11 AM »
Hello there! Nice progress so far!

For the back plate - I’d say it’s definitely too big on ya. I’d make it narrower and shorter - it should end about where your belly plate does and you’ll to want to take some off the sides for comfort sakes. Hope that helps!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Hello there! Nice progress so far!

For the back plate - I’d say it’s definitely too big on ya. I’d make it narrower and shorter - it should end about where your belly plate does and you’ll to want to take some off the sides for comfort sakes. Hope that helps!

Thanks! This is very helpful. About how much do you think would be a good start for downsizing?

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2018, 06:13 PM »
Probably a couple inches all around - but I find it best to take a little off at a time. Can always take more off, harder to put it back on ;) lol

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Yay! More progress pictures! Mirage's amazing work.  :<3:
Note to self and others, don't purchase from the Mandalorian Arsenal unless you want a product that is subpar and takes much more work than it's worth.

[Edit]

So, nothing is attached permanently, just held in place with screws, tape, and a prayer. Gonna have to get some bondo or something along those lines to fill in the gaping holes. Probably going to end up using piano hinges for the closures, not really sure how that'sgonna work, but we'll figure it out.  :like:

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2018, 01:20 AM by Avior Braisa » Logged
Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Special Operations Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2019, 12:30 PM »
Gauntlets are a tough cookie. Whether you make them from scratch yourself or buy parts, etc. Getting them to fit you right is a chore to say the least. That also means there are tons of ways to go about attaching them. Mine have a hinge (door hinge) and open on one side and are held together with strong magnets when closed. However, mine are 6mm Sintra which can support the heavy magnets.

For yours I've seen people use hinges, Velcro, and strapping. What I see more often than not, is straps (can be buckled or even Velcro straps) on both sides like Rhenvar has here.

I hope that helps!

Novoc Mereel

• Back with a vengeance! He/Him
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2019, 02:02 PM »
My gauntlets are secured using magnets. They're quite secure, and inexpensive to boot!

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Back again! I finally found some time to get stuff done. I got some new boots and pants about a week ago, and decided to rework my leg armor set-up. I'm gonna add shins and boot plates, and may eventually add thighs if I feel the urge. So, I printed out some templates to do a mock up. Thoughts? Does it look like I chose the right size? Also, please ignore the huge mess in the background, it's my sister's side of the room.😓 And yes, I did tape my knee on, I don't have them attached yet.

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!