Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

[WIP] very slow build of a Mandalorian armor

• 10 Replies
[WIP] very slow build of a Mandalorian armor
« on: Apr 27, 2018, 03:25 AM »
Hello Mandalorians,

I decided to start a topic for my upcoming costume. It will be a slow build since I have limited time to work on this but Iím in no rush to be honest. So far Iím running ideas and canít even make up my mind about which armor type to choose from but Iíve worked before with eva, not much just some braces,  and I have a friend who will print the helmet once Iíve chose the design. So far Iím looking up solutions for motoric parts and leds I plan to add to the costume. Also Iíll print a few templates on paper to see which I like most. Also getting some ideas from Mynockís den since his work for me is beyond perfect. Iíll give updates when I have something just wanted to make this project ďofficialĒ

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
Re: [WIP] very slow build of a Mandalorian armor
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2018, 07:44 AM »
Just to clarify: Eva is not an approved material. If your comment regarding Eva was about applying those same skills to sintra, awesome :).  A lot.of it does cross over.   Excited to see your concepts!

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 05:04 AM »
It seems my reply disappeared. So in this case Iíll use the knowledge. In two month after my exams Iíll start gathering some PVC  and other material, start the helmet drawings in Solidworks, get some motors connectors etc. for the range finder and even take a sample of my head so I can plan stuff visually as well. This will be fun.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 02:55 AM »
I need some help. I was looking at the different materials available locally for the armor but what I cannot find is the recommended thickness. Are there any guidelines for this that I havenít found yet? Found kydex but it seems thin (0,8mm) and fount pvc 3 cm that seems too thick to me. Also what about PE material? An approximation of the needed amount of material would be welcome  :D Thank you.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 03:49 AM by mykejr » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 11:12 AM »
not sure what  about PE -- the sintra that most people work with is either 3mm or 6mm pretty much based on personal preverence.  3cm is WAY too thick.

As for how much material -- how much armor are you making? 
Legacy or modern style plates?
Thigh plates?
Shin plates?
Boot plates?
hand plates?
3d printing, or making gauntlets out of sintra?
Back plate or cape?
Bicep plates?
Traditional shoulders, or pauldron style?
kidney plates?

Your body will also play a factor in how much material you need. Are you build more like Anthony Daniels, or more like Jabba?

I made my whole legacy kit from about a 4x4 foot section, but it doens't have thighs, biceps, kidneys, boot plates.  Modern kits typically take a little less material, and if you go light armor, with cape you can get by with even less.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 07:17 AM »
not sure what  about PE -- the sintra that most people work with is either 3mm or 6mm pretty much based on personal preverence.  3cm is WAY too thick.

As for how much material -- how much armor are you making? 
Legacy or modern style plates?
Thigh plates?
Shin plates?
Boot plates?
hand plates?
3d printing, or making gauntlets out of sintra?
Back plate or cape?
Bicep plates?
Traditional shoulders, or pauldron style?
kidney plates?

Your body will also play a factor in how much material you need. Are you build more like Anthony Daniels, or more like Jabba?

I made my whole legacy kit from about a 4x4 foot section, but it doens't have thighs, biceps, kidneys, boot plates.  Modern kits typically take a little less material, and if you go light armor, with cape you can get by with even less.

The thing is I planned to make a stalker helmet and combine it with some of the armor seen in the galeries.
If it goes as planned Iíll go that route. If not I believe Iíll go modern
As for armor I would like to make a back plate for sure and maybe later on an attachable jetpack as well, but that is a huge maybe. It depends on how I can manage to do stuff on my own. I have someone who can 3d print stuff for me but first Iíll try to make myself everything. Just needed an approximation. I think Iíll get some 4 mm thick PE. I can get that for a very good price. Thank you! This list was very helpful. Iíll be calculating and ordering, and see how it will end up. I think Iíll use a lot in the endÖ :D Iíll make it out of paper first so I can see how it will look and make some templates as well. That will help measure the needed material.

Slade Kel

• Formerly 'Slade Kel (Marrok)'
  • Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 09:44 PM »
Seconded on 3cm being way too think and .8mm being far too thin. I am not sure what even PE is, some sort of plastic or another I imagine?  4mm should be a good thickness. If it is a more rigid plastic like pvc, it should be easily shaped with a heat gun or similar method.

When you finish your templates, be sure to post up pictures of them taped to yourself before transferring them to the PE. That way we can guide you in regards to size before you cut them out of the PE and potentially waste material.

QMU | M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 02:54 AM »
Seconded on 3cm being way too think and .8mm being far too thin. I am not sure what even PE is, some sort of plastic or another I imagine?  4mm should be a good thickness. If it is a more rigid plastic like pvc, it should be easily shaped with a heat gun or similar method.

When you finish your templates, be sure to post up pictures of them taped to yourself before transferring them to the PE. That way we can guide you in regards to size before you cut them out of the PE and potentially waste material.

Thank you for the advice. That is exactly why Iíll cut them out of paper or carton box or something and see how it fit and looks. PE is very similar to PVC. The company I work for get water tanks from this material and it can be formed via heat, weld etc.. Worst case scenario Iíll use them for molding so in the end Iíll have my armor the way it should be. This will take very long time but I am in no rush and would like to make it as perfect as I can. I'll have a lot of exams in the next two months so I'll be silent a little, but when Iím fed up with learning or just want to turn off a little Iíll be working on the templates :)

Slade Kel

• Formerly 'Slade Kel (Marrok)'
  • Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 08:23 AM »
Sounds good vod; honestly the best attitude you can have. Rushing does not get you spectacular armor, definitely worth taking your time and getting it right rather than having to go back and fix mistakes made in haste.

QMU | M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Just an FYI, PE is polyethylene and is what your plastic soda/ pop bottles are made of.   I can't imagine it being good for armor, as it has a mold memory and may not take well to being shaped. 

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 07:12 AM »
Just an FYI, PE is polyethylene and is what your plastic soda/ pop bottles are made of.   I can't imagine it being good for armor, as it has a mold memory and may not take well to being shaped.
This doesn't seem the same as soda bottles. We have some water tanks made from this and they are strong as hell.  I asked and the company and they told me they have 2 versions a black and a beige color and they are acid resistant and can withstand being run over by a tank without issues :) Just in case I asked and they deal with PP, PVC and ABS as well so it seems after all these will become molding tools mostly and tests (I get some free samples) and I'll purchase some PVC and ABS so those will definitely meet the requirements. Iíll update with pictures here once my exams are overÖ

Thanks for the help guys.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!