Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Concepts

• 5 Replies
Concepts
« on: May 16, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Hey everyone! Still working out some details  like what kind of distressing I want to do, and if there are any added things I want to put on (hand prints, designs etc) But I come up with a color scheme I really like and will add more details as I get them. Also although all the pieces are shown, planning on doing a light set, then adding pieces.

I have been looking at Iron Forge's Variant helmet, but still looking around, not sure it's exactly the style I want to go for. Also been looking at some of NME's stuff to.

The other main question is to do the Kama and loin cloth or not. (not planning on white, just not sure what color to do)

Fenris Claddanna

• Formerly 'TI-8342'
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Concepts
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Looking good so far. As far as weathering goes, my advice is to think about what sort of work your Mando does, where they do it in, and how they move in kit. For example, my current kit is a forest Mando, so most of the scrapes are from pushing through underbrush, and the grime is more dirt, rather than carbon scoring. Ity's also possible to be approved without any weathering, although the general consensus is that even lightly-weathered kits look better than clean ones(it's also much easier on the packing end. I just throw mine in my kit box, whereas with a clean kit, I'd be taking a lot of time to make sure nothing gets damaged). Whatever you do, it just needs to be consistent across the whole kit - armour, soft goods, helmet, etc.

Kamas are fun, especially when you're moving. Loin cloths are also nice, since you have a better ability to sit with them, as opposed to a cod plate. If it were me, for colours, I'd go with a red trimmed in teal.

Also, just as a heads-up, lightsabres are not an approvable weapon for the club. That being said, lightsabres make great trophies, as long as they appear busted and like they'd be unable to be used. To be honest, I'm not sure why the lightsabre is even an option in Mando Maker.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 04:49 PM »
Thanks on the lightsaber info, The CRL's didn't seem super clear, I'll be getting one eventually for a Jedi costume, but I'll look into others for this. I think I like the bowcaster, though not too sure on how to make/modify it.

Does there need to be any sort of a cod piece with a loin cloth?I think I saw something about doing a soft one? I guess it's I have some worry about doing a loin cloth and a kama and it not looking like a full skirt without something showing underneath?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:10 PM by Amaya » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 05:44 PM »
You do not have to have a cod piece under your loin cloth.  Your loin cloth must be more substantial than one layer of thin fabric.

Under additional info in the crls:
Lightsabers:

Lightsaber/darksaber hilts may be worn as trophies, but must be visibly damaged as to appear unusable. Such trophies must be worn or mounted in such a way as to not appear to be a functioning weapon.
No full bladed lightsabers/darksabers may be carried unless your character is portraying an *in-canon* lightsaber/darksaber wielding mando (i.e., Bardan Jusik, Kad Skirata, Pre Viszla).

I like your colors :)

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 08:19 PM »
Under additional info in the crls:

I like your colors

thanks it took me awhile, and a lot of different color combos to find it. and thanks for the quote on the sabers, hadn't seen it!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:16 AM by Amaya » Logged

Slade Kel

• Formerly 'Slade Kel (Marrok)'
  • Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Not bad concept, certainly workable. Light weathering is certainly preferable to no weathering; honestly, unless you're supposed to have just gotten up from polishing your armor, it's going to pick up a little bit here and there just in the course of going about your day. Think about a shirt and pair of pants after a full day of work or hiking or what have you. The good thing is you can always start out with very light weathering and then either add to it or simply let normal wear and tear happen.

I'm a big fan of kamas myself; they do wonders for hiding leg straps from behind and also help tie the kit together from the rear view. You don't normally think of the back of the suit as you don't see it and it's not normally in pictures, but remember that a lot of the time at events people will be seeing you from behind. As said, you don't need a cod if you have a loincloth, but the loincloth has to be more than just tucking a scrap of fabric into your belt. Can confirm it's much better for the comfort of it than a cod piece. I've been trooping about a decade now and have done almost every variation of cod piece and loin cloth you can think of. A well done loincloth also looks just as good as having a cod piece.

Re: the lightsaber  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:. The mandomaker harkens back to a time when the Mercs was a virtually lawless wasteland. Back then it was kind of an anything-goes anarchy on a lot of stuff. I don't think the creator is active, nor do I think she has been for some time (though I could be wrong), so it's just kind of kept on as is.

QMU | M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!