Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Complete DIY Scotch-Tape Water-Slide Decals

• 4 Replies

MadCelt

• Red Jango, standing by...
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
DIY Scotch-Tape Water-Slide Decals
« on: Jun 01, 2018, 12:23 PM »
I recently applied Aurebesh to my upgraded blasters, and with this quick tutorial I will show you how.
Ideally I would have used water-slide decal paper but I didn't have any on hand so I used the "Scotch-tape method".
I can't take the credit for the process, as I picked it up from a Lego modder a year or so ago.

1) Print your image on plain white paper. In this case Aurebesh script, as free-handing it for me is a pain.

2) Cut out desired area you want to apply. The tighter you get to your image, the better.

3) Apply strip of invisible tape across image and press thoroughly. You want to be sure you capture as much ink onto the tape as possible for a good transfer. Using a plastic card or putty knife for larger images works well. Crystal clear tape allows the image to show through better, but I wanted this to look a little worn so I used matte finish.

4) Soak in water until the paper breaks down. Usually this only takes a couple minutes, but the longer you leave it in the easier the next step will be.

5) Gently rub the paper residue off of the back of tape, leaving the image print on the tape. If you rub too much or too hard you will remove the ink as well so use caution.

6) Apply "poor man's" water slide decal to desired surface, smooth out any bubbles and pat dry.

7) I use liquid modeling cement along the surface and under the edges to help set the decal. It's not necessary, but I find that it makes a more finished look.

8) Seal with your choice of clearcoat and allow to cure. Ta-da! You've got uniform printed Aurebesh (or Mando'a, or a logo, clan sigil, or what have you) on your gear.

Thank you, thank you. No need to applause- just throw credits..!

« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2018, 02:26 PM by MadCelt » Logged

Lem'zig Dee

• The Motörlorian
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: DIY Scotch-Tape Water-Slide Decals
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2018, 12:49 PM »
This is great! Thanks for posting.

Keely

• Cora Bla'or
« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2018, 01:27 PM »
Does it matter what kind of ink is used? Ie: is laser printing (toner) better or ink printing better?

FB | Traffic Cones #1 | N.O.S. #19 | O.A.S. | G.O.M.O.L. #29 | M5 #92 | K.O.V.A | Invasions: 7
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2018, 01:47 PM »
And does toner brand matter?  My laser printer can't be used for PCB transfer because the toner won't stick.

MadCelt

• Red Jango, standing by...
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2018, 02:15 PM »
I've used this method printing from different  types of printers and it has worked about the same as this demonstration.
So long as the ink adheres to the tape and doesn't run off when it gets wet, it will work.
 :mcq2:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!