Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sabine Wren Flare Canisters? Question

• 10 Replies

MandoGirl

• Forget the explosion, look at the color!
Sabine Wren Flare Canisters? Question
« on: Jun 09, 2018, 07:11 PM »
Su'cuy, fellow vod'e! :sabine:
I have a question.  I currently have a S2 era Sabine kit, and I am wondering what the best material for making the flare canisters would be. Sabine's flare canisters rest in circular holsters around the top of her boot. Here is what hers look like:

Right now, I am using some foam Nerf darts, that have been sprayed with silver Plasti Dip.  Here is what mine look like:

They have worked just fine for awhile, but after the last event, the tips and bottoms of the darts have become brittle and broken off.   :-[ My holsters are great, but I just need to replace the flare canisters inside.
Would anyone have any advice on the best way to make those?
Thanks! :like:

Verd'ika Corps - Mythosaur Battalion
Galactic Academy #CREB3878

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
Re: Sabine Wren Flare Canisters? Question
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2018, 08:50 PM »
My first thought is PVC pipe.   (full disclosure, I have built 0 Sabine kits).  You could either sand the ridges off of PVC caps, or use like plumbers putty to make plugs, or sculpey, or apoxies sculpt etc.

MandoGirl

« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2018, 08:22 PM »
My first thought is PVC pipe.   (full disclosure, I have built 0 Sabine kits).  You could either sand the ridges off of PVC caps, or use like plumbers putty to make plugs, or sculpey, or apoxies sculpt etc.

Thank you! I'll look into those options. :)

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2018, 09:17 PM »
Most Sabines I know (myself included) buy a wooden dowel and cut it into the pieces, then make the bands with leather or pleather.  I got my dowel at a building store where they did cutting for free, so I didn't even have to cut it myself.  All the pieces needed were a tiny bit of sanding so the edges weren't prickly and then they were ready for paint.

WIP Thread!   http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=82808.0

More pictures on Instagram: @evaarla_kal

MandoGirl

« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2018, 01:06 PM »
Most Sabines I know (myself included) buy a wooden dowel and cut it into the pieces, then make the bands with leather or pleather.  I got my dowel at a building store where they did cutting for free, so I didn't even have to cut it myself.  All the pieces needed were a tiny bit of sanding so the edges weren't prickly and then they were ready for paint.

That sounds great! I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for the help! :) 

MandoGirl

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2018, 02:19 PM »
Just an update; I ended up buying some wooden dowels, (per the advice of Evaar'la Kal)  that I will sand down and paint to match Sabine's leg flares.  I'll post another update once I finish the project. :sabine:

Sabine

• Formerly 'coronae'
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017 Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2018, 01:05 PM »

This is the method I use. Be prepared to give them a fresh coat of paint every 6 months or so, they get pretty chipped from walking around.

Sabine Wren S2

Tra'cor Clan || MMCC#1593 || M5#71 || NOS#9 || 33 OM Invasions

MandoGirl

« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2018, 02:27 PM »
This is the method I use. Be prepared to give them a fresh coat of paint every 6 months or so, they get pretty chipped from walking around.

Thanks!  :like: Yeah, I can relate. 😆 On my older ones, the paint chipped off after ten minutes. 

MandoGirl

« Reply #8 on: Jun 19, 2018, 11:36 PM »
Quote from: Sabine
link=topic=154838.msg1898085#msg1898085 date=1528995916

Thanks for all of your tips and suggestions.  :sabine:
It's been a while, but I've finally finished the leg flares.
In my previous update, I ended up buying some wood dowels to use for making my leg flare canisters. 

After awhile in the wood shop, I finally got them sanded down to what they needed to look like.

Sanded and ready for paint! :)

Then onto the painting!

Nice and shiny.

After that, they were placed in their holsters:

Finished!

I am really happy with how they turned out, and using the wood dowels was a fantastic idea. :)

Thank you all again! :sabine:

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2018, 09:19 PM »
They look really good, you did a great job!  :sabine:

WIP Thread!   http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=82808.0

More pictures on Instagram: @evaarla_kal

MandoGirl

« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2018, 02:07 AM »
They look really good, you did a great job!  :sabine:

Thanks so much!  :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!