Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Malakier's Desert Ops Mk 2 - Approved! Now for upgrades

• 259 Replies

Straka Zulu

• Formerly 'STRAKAZulu'
  • Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Malakier's Desert Ops Mk 2 - Approved! Now for upgrades
« Reply #255 on: Sep 11, 2018, 08:39 PM »
Vod, you continue to amaze! 

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • The Blandalorian
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #256 on: Sep 11, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Fixed a broken img.

Vod, you continue to amaze! 
Thanks. You know what they say. Fake it till you make it

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • The Blandalorian
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #257 on: Sep 17, 2018, 02:07 PM »
Trying to get better about keeping this up to date, so here is a minor update

Got new boots. Reebok brand combat-style boots. Much more comfortable then the boots I have been using, and look more like something a desert ops Mando would wear, imo.

However, those laces pose a problem, which means it is time to start my upgrade to lower leg and boot wraps. First thing I did (and sadly I forgot to take any pictures of it) was figure out roughly how I was going to do them on the boots. Try to get any trimming done right off the bat. Then, I like my wraps to be a bit ragged looking,  so I always start by sewing a fray-stop stitch around the perimeter.

Then I frayed them a bit by hand, and did another test before progressing further.

I know there is a bit of zipper showing at the bottom, but per CRLs, since it is the same color as the boot and on the inside of the foot I technically don't have to cover it at all, so I am going to call it good. For now at least.

After this I washed them to soften the fabric and finish fraying the edges, trimmed them up again, and coffee stained them.

I need a bigger pot....also, there is about 3 cups of old coffee grounds between these 2 pots. Boiled the water with grounds in, added fabric, simmered for about 3hrs, stiring occasionally. I have found keeping the grounds in adds a subtle "embedded dirt" look to some parts and generally creats a nice weathering effect. Added some vinegar towards the end. Drained, rinsed off coffee grounds with cool water, rung out, and hung to dry. Finally result:

Since I intend for these to look like trophies taken from Tusken raiders and repurposed for myself, I love the look. Might have to redye my arm wraps in fact.

Up next will be final weathering, sewing Velcro on where needed, and gluing on the parts that will be permanently glued. I am still debating between sewing Velcro straight on to my flights for the leg portion, or making a sort of gaiter to attach the wraps to. That will come after the boot wraps though

Anyway, that is all for now

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #258 on: Sep 17, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Looks cool!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278 || Approval Team Director
Custom Armor WIP - Bo Katan WIP

Rakesh

• Be silent and swift. Keep your blade handy.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!