Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

FooTheBoss WIP

• 66 Replies
FooTheBoss WIP
« on: Jun 13, 2018, 02:55 PM »
Greetings all.  So last year I made this :

I never finished or even applied because I had to deploy however after a recent trip to Legoland there was a Star Wars event going on and my passion to re-do a Mando sky rocketed!  This go around I am much more patient and methadical in the process.  I wanted to start with the bucket.  Once I get the bucket complete and painted then I will go from head to toe. 

Rubies 2 piece "I feel that with this bucket I can really get the fun out of modding it and customizing it"

Bondo the crack after I glued the pieces together

Bondo and sanding.   I think I laid down too much bondo because it took me forever to get the dome smooth again :D

Went hardcore and fiberglassed the inside with 3 layers of cloth.  The pic doesnt show yet but I also did the cheeks. 

Starting with silver.  That will be my base coat. 

Im going for a darker theme.  looking at black and silver with a potential 3rd color but very little of it. 

Before i get ahead of myself, what are some tips for weathering/damaging silver?  I was thinking a different silver or a gray to maybe dull spots out. 

Also, I purchased these last night (Not painted) after a few beers to get me courage :D  Special thanks to AprilStormProps!

And these (black in color) will be delivered friday, Ill be sure to post WIP on the coveralls when I get them to bring them up to standard. 

UPDATE
Here is my flak vest.  Please let me know about the sizing of it. I circled areas that seem the oddest to me.  Also what should the length be?  of course the girth belt will cover the lower portions of the vest but those areas i havnt sewn yet.  And the pauldron spot, they pop out right now but im thinking they will fall normal when I place armor on them.  Any advice helps :D  Thanks

« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2018, 03:38 PM by footheboss » Logged

wmmbuzzkill

• Awards 40% increase or more Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: FooTheBoss WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2018, 05:38 PM »
Hey Vod! For Flak vest length, I personally prefer a longer flak vest because you can wrap your girth items overtop and it helps keep your vest from riding up and becoming misplaced!  As for your vest shoulder flaps, It appears to be more of a visual thing because of the shape of the sewn on pieces, they aren't usually made to the exact same shape as the shoulder bell, more of a triangular shape but with a broad flat tip area. Because it doesnt have the fabric further back it's not holding as well, but depending on the shape of your shoulder bell it might eliminate the issue.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Good call! I was looking at some flak vest and you're a hundred percent correct on the shape. I'll go ahead and make those refinements

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2018, 09:43 PM »
Bucket finished minus the visor.... I cant find my hot glue gun.  It looks white in the pic but its actually silver. 

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2018, 06:14 PM »

Bucket complete

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2018, 06:26 PM »
Bucket looks good on you :)

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2018, 09:44 PM »
 you seem to know the proper way of doing things! keep it up. good paint!

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2018, 09:59 PM »
Thanks^^  I finished the flak vest.  Here is the front plates I printed out.  I will be placing shoulder bells on but I might redo that portion of the flak vest.  Please let me know about sizing.  Thanks and have a fantastic weekend all!
P.S. My 7 y/o took the pic :D

wmmbuzzkill

• Awards 40% increase or more Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Jun 14, 2018, 11:05 PM »

Bucket complete

Before you go too far with the helmet, you should re mount the visor. As it is now it's pushing the opening of the T apart into an A at the bottom.

« Reply #9 on: Jun 14, 2018, 11:17 PM »
Before you go too far with the helmet, you should re mount the visor. As it is now it's pushing the opening of the T apart into an A at the bottom.

Easy fix :D  Thanks for the advice!  I saw that too and was thinking it would look better with "less" visor.

« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2018, 05:43 PM »
I wanted to post a bump to see if I could get some critique on plates?  I dont want to get too far ahead of myself lol

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #11 on: Jun 15, 2018, 07:53 PM »
the height of your plates looks pretty good, but you definitely need to trim at east 1/2 - 3/4" off the width of all the plates. Also, makes sure your collar plate is up as high as it can go, the opening should almost be "choking" you.

« Reply #12 on: Jun 15, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Awesome.  Thanks!

« Reply #13 on: Jun 17, 2018, 10:53 PM »
Round two of the plates.  How do they look?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 17, 2018, 11:15 PM »
Looking god now on width.  Where is your belly button in the photo? If your ab plate ends at, or an inch or so above it, you're in good shape.

« Reply #15 on: Jun 17, 2018, 11:25 PM »
Looking god now on width.  Where is your belly button in the photo? If your ab plate ends at, or an inch or so above it, you're in good shape.
The bottom of that bottom tape is the belly button!  Sweet.  If you think they look good im going to start cutting some sintra !! :D:D:D

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #16 on: Jun 18, 2018, 10:27 AM »
Yeah your template sizing looks good. Your plate size will change slightly when you start bending and forming your plates so some adjustment may be needed later.

« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2018, 11:16 PM »
What a pain!!!!  Ive been trying to get this straight and tape is a pain to get to hold on the vest!  I think once the plates look good enough im going to go crazy with velcro!
Anyways, lemme have it :D

« Reply #18 on: Jun 18, 2018, 11:30 PM »
What a pain!!!!  Ive been trying to get this straight and tape is a pain to get to hold on the vest!  I think once the plates look good enough im going to go crazy with velcro!
Anyways, lemme have it :D

Quick update.  I touched up the circled areas.   curved them inwards toward the vest a little more and made it more "flush".  I just dont want to get too far ahead heating it up.  One step at a time! 

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #19 on: Jun 19, 2018, 07:42 PM »
What I can see from what you've done looks great.  There's a lot that might be revealed from a side facing photo ;)   So if you can get your photographer to take a pic with you facing directly right, and directly left, there might be some other things to look at.  Spcaing and placement look reasonable.  Plates get shaped in 3d though. 

« Reply #20 on: Jun 19, 2018, 07:45 PM »
What I can see from what you've done looks great.  There's a lot that might be revealed from a side facing photo ;)   So if you can get your photographer to take a pic with you facing directly right, and directly left, there might be some other things to look at.  Spcaing and placement look reasonable.  Plates get shaped in 3d though.
Will do ASAP :D.  Thanks again!!!

« Reply #21 on: Jun 20, 2018, 12:14 AM »
Ok.  here is an updated front, left and right side post. 6mm sintra plates are being held with masking tape for now.  Still trying to get the adjustments perfect before I move on to the shoulder bells, and lower body.  Lemme have it :D

p.s. I put the helmet on fast but I do have a bacalava to cover up the skin :D

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #22 on: Jun 20, 2018, 04:23 PM »

The areas I circled appear to be "floating"  -- not laying against the vest, and will need additional shaping or additional velcro.  It looks like the bottom right of your ab plate is also floating.

Other than that, looks pretty good vod!

« Reply #23 on: Jun 20, 2018, 04:34 PM »
Awesome! Can't wait to make those adjustments

« Reply #24 on: Jun 21, 2018, 02:23 AM »
Made those corrections.  I used the heat gun on the specific spots and slowly molded them back.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!