Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Homer bucket First Attempt WIP

• 94 Replies

Ko'rizna Falco

• Weapons are a part of my religion
Re: Homer bucket First Attempt WIP
« Reply #25 on: Jul 19, 2018, 11:51 AM »
And another update to the work. It took me a couple of methods to try and get the bucket to sit off my nose.

At first I tried a complete ring as was suggested, but because of the angle of the helmet it did not take properly.

So I shrunk it down and used more of a shim and that worked perfectly.

I also added additional padding. My sons old alphabet floor mat is working perfectly. (he's older now, and I got his permission)

And finally, I have rough sanded everything with 60 grit sand paper, and cut out the cheek parts from 3mm sintra

So now I return for more opinion and help. Below are the pictures of how it fits now and I need some advice on fit. It is now off my nose and I can see well through the eye's. I think it looks a little short to me but, I can't really tell. It comes down to just past my chin and beard.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #26 on: Jul 19, 2018, 12:06 PM »
Looks like good progress :) Glad you experimented till you found soething that worked! I've got that same kind of foam in my helmets too. albeit less excitingly colored versions of it.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #27 on: Jul 19, 2018, 08:46 PM »
Me too, I think the combination of both worked really well, and though exciting now I think I will paint the whole interior (foam included) black once I get to that point. Does that look like it is the right length? I don't want it to be too short.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Jul 19, 2018, 10:23 PM »
looks good to go, will know for sure when cheeks are in.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #29 on: Jul 20, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Awesome! then I guess the next step is to glue the panels together, permanently mount the dome,  and bend and attach the cheeks. This is where it gets really real, I'm so excited!!!!!

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #30 on: Jul 20, 2018, 05:06 PM »
Cheek installation is the hardest part for sure, but I have faith in you vod! :)  :cookie:

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #31 on: Jul 30, 2018, 11:36 AM »
And it all comes tumbling down.

I'm trying not to be too upset but I'm going to have to get some more buckets and another hard hat. I'm not giving up on this, but if after one more attempt I fail again. I may just save up and buy from a seller.

Several things pictured below compounded to my ultimate failure.

First, after adding the brow ridge to get the visor off my nose I ended up with significant gaps on either side. I thought I could fill those.

but then after securing the sides I realized I shorted myself about a 1/4" of material and had a gap in the back of the bucket (this was the case for both layers) and did not have a even matchup top to bottom either.

and finally Thinking I could over come those two things with some handy work. I began to grind down the screws and in my haste and not paying attention, I melted two large holes in my helmet, both the dome and the face.

All of these events compounded to my giving up on this attempt. I think I will start a second WIP for that but I'm not sure.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #32 on: Jul 30, 2018, 03:19 PM »
Sorry to see that! I didn't think about it changing things in the back.  But now you know the challenges you need to overcome in advance, so 2.0/3.0 should be all the better for it!

Continue it here so others can learn :)   All of my failures are in the same Wip that lead to my successful homer bucket :)

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #33 on: Jul 30, 2018, 04:09 PM »
Will do. The other I noticed is that the full templates for the helmets create a much more round helmet where the hard hat I bought was much more oval. I think I will either adjust the template or buy a more circular hard hat this time around as well.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #34 on: Jul 30, 2018, 04:16 PM »
What I've discovered through successive builds is that my head is much more oval than round (esp. with glasses factored in) -- everybody's different.  The round may end up just being wasted space on the left to right.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #35 on: Aug 01, 2018, 10:07 PM »
Sorry to see that! I didn't think about it changing things in the back.  But now you know the challenges you need to overcome in advance, so 2.0/3.0 should be all the better for it!

Continue it here so others can learn :)   All of my failures are in the same Wip that lead to my successful homer bucket :)

My successes and failures are all logged in my scratchbuild bucket WIP also haha.
I'm bummed to see that this didn't work out exactly. But here are a few thoughts. Hopefully it's not too late to consider a few of them!  :)

1.) Mine was too short in the back as well. I cut it to have about a 2 or 2.5" gap and added a piece to fill it. Then I used quiksteel to bond the two layers together. You can always do that and add another layer behind them so that it overlaps all of the separated pieces. It'll be nicely reinforced then!

2.) If you want to round out your hard hat a little, heat it with a heat gun and sandwich it between two heavy objects. I opted for the couch and the wall. I put just enough pressure on it to adjust the shape slightly and left it sit to cool overnight. Once you take it out, check to see that it holds shape. You may need to do it again.

3.) If you have gaps, you can always back the screws out and drill it again after you tighten it up a little. The holes that you have left will be able to be filled with bondo or spot glaze putty.

4.) I made sure that I used quiksteel to secure my hard hat to the bucket part and let everything cure. Once I was sure that the bond was strong enough, I backed the screws out and filled those holes in too. I never thought about the heat transferring to the plastic and melting the area around the screw.  :o

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Jag Cabur

• Call me 'Sparky.'
« Reply #36 on: Aug 03, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Ouch.  I came up short like that for my first helmet, but I elected to bolt on an extra plate to connect the two halves instead.  Considering how it turned out, I'm not sure it was the right idea or not.

Hand me my thinking grenades.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #37 on: Aug 04, 2018, 02:47 AM »
The gap happens when folks don’t account for material thickness. Paper is one thing but adding additional length to the templatesto account for the thickness of the buckets is essential, otherwise you get gaps.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #38 on: Aug 04, 2018, 10:53 AM »
My successes and failures are all logged in my scratchbuild bucket WIP also haha.
I'm bummed to see that this didn't work out exactly. But here are a few thoughts. Hopefully it's not too late to consider a few of them!  :)

1.) Mine was too short in the back as well. I cut it to have about a 2 or 2.5" gap and added a piece to fill it. Then I used quiksteel to bond the two layers together. You can always do that and add another layer behind them so that it overlaps all of the separated pieces. It'll be nicely reinforced then!

2.) If you want to round out your hard hat a little, heat it with a heat gun and sandwich it between two heavy objects. I opted for the couch and the wall. I put just enough pressure on it to adjust the shape slightly and left it sit to cool overnight. Once you take it out, check to see that it holds shape. You may need to do it again.

3.) If you have gaps, you can always back the screws out and drill it again after you tighten it up a little. The holes that you have left will be able to be filled with bondo or spot glaze putty.

4.) I made sure that I used quiksteel to secure my hard hat to the bucket part and let everything cure. Once I was sure that the bond was strong enough, I backed the screws out and filled those holes in too. I never thought about the heat transferring to the plastic and melting the area around the screw.  :o

Thank you all for the advice, I think I just got overwhelmed when all those things came down in one day. I will see what I can do to make it work, I'm also saving up some cash just in case I can't save it.

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #39 on: Aug 05, 2018, 05:21 PM »
I saw that you had called Dibs on a bucket in the trading station. If you can snag it for that price, I'd say go for it too!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #40 on: Aug 05, 2018, 08:59 PM »
It was too small, thankfully he measured it up before finalizing the sale.

I've been thinking now for a couple days as I cut armor templates and other such things.

Since I already know that I'm short around the back, I think if I add in some spacers on the side of the  dome that drop down internally so that I have something solid to attach to with the epoxy. That will solve my screw melting issue and round out the helmet diminishing the gaps and equalizing them uniformly around the circumference. Then I can place a filler piece on the back side to close the back up nicely and hopefully I can recover my bucket.

What do you guys think about that? any other suggestions?

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2018, 04:33 PM by FabledFalcon412 » Logged

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #41 on: Aug 26, 2018, 06:52 PM »
OK I'm back up on the horse, after going to an AP and talking with some of the OM's in my clan I got through my defeat and I have a small update.

So after the melting and gapping issue I resolved to have a larger brow look. I then proceeded to add tabs that dropped down off the hard hat to give me more purchase space to glue the face mask on. I am using some E6000 which is a 24 hr cure so the process is still going but here are some of the images of what I have done. It may not look like much but this is huge progress to me.

Here the tab is glued to the hard hat but not to the mask yet.

Here you can barely see but the mask is glued to the tab and clamped in place to prevent sliding.

So that is where I am at right now. Once I get the rest of the tabs glued to the mask I will fill the large gap that remains between to hard hat and mask with plumbers epoxy to fill it and give it some more surface contact. And then on the back I will have to carefully cut and fit a piece to fill the gap and work out the smoothing and shaping of the back of the bucket in the bondo and sanding phase.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #42 on: Sep 05, 2018, 05:44 PM »
A small but important update on forward thinking an planning. I reached a stumbling block again when I realized the depth of the back of the face mask exceeded the depth of the clamps I had, and also most any clamp that I could find. So I used a ratchet strap to clamp it down near the top.

So I finally have the first major gluing and clamping done I am letting it cure extra long because of the weather here. But hopefully I can glue down the second part helmet sometime next week when I get the chance ( and hopefully a break from the heat).

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #43 on: Sep 05, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Good outside the Buy’ce thinking!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #44 on: Sep 05, 2018, 09:12 PM »
THank Bow, I have a lot more of that type of thinking staring me in the face but I'll get through it and my Buy'ce will be all the more special for it.

« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2018, 03:39 PM by FabledFalcon412 » Logged

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #45 on: Sep 18, 2018, 03:40 PM »
Forgive if this is double post. I believe the rule is within 24 hours and this is beyond that. but please fix if needed.

Guys the stressful part is over!!! I have finally gotten my bucket all glued together and it actually seems pretty solid. I'm still going to reinforce it I have plumbers putty to jam in the gaps that I have and I think I may buy a healthy amount of epoxy (30 minute) to really back up the plastic.

But enough talk here she is in all her unfinished glory!

Its not perfectly even but I can fix all that. I have already glued another brace at the back on the bottom that is drying and then I start to fill all the gaps and sand her down.

« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2018, 07:37 AM by FabledFalcon412 » Logged

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #46 on: Sep 18, 2018, 04:07 PM »
Photo links are broken, glad you're making progress vod!

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #47 on: Sep 19, 2018, 07:37 AM »
should be fixed now, I forgot I changed the pictures a little

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #48 on: Sep 19, 2018, 11:31 AM »
Great progress :)

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #49 on: Sep 20, 2018, 09:07 AM »
Thank you Sep. So I was thinking and would love some input. On the back I need key slots. I plan to make those out of sintra, should I fill and sculpt the back first or make the cut out first? I know doing the cut out would Save me the time and work, But if I fill and sculpt it first, I can shape the sintra more accurately to the back of the bucket. Just not sure which approach is better.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!