Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Valentin WIP

• 9 Replies

Jaryn Solus

• Formerly 'Vegadane'
  • Sometimes it's better to think rather than speak
  • Awards Special Weapons
Valentin WIP
« on: Jun 27, 2018, 12:31 PM »
As promised ;)

After some very patient advice from Kris Jasra I've pretty much got my templates down to where I'm happy with them. The current build thread under the Vok'Chi clan is here for more detail: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=154361.15

For the shoulders I'm aiming to use 160mm pipe elbows and modify to be closer to the Hondo Karr style bells. Shins need a little modification but I'm happy with the knees after playing with them in heavy card. The thigh has been tapered to match the top of the knee, I'll likely bulk them out with some trauma plating as well.

Jaryn Solus

• Formerly 'Vegadane'
  • Awards Special Weapons
Re: Valentin WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Plates are cut :)

Got hold of some 160mm pipe elbows to build some shoulders from as well. Just got to get the cut right to match the Hondo Karr style shoulders.

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2018, 03:40 PM »
Missed your last update somehow.  Apologies :)

Templates and plates are looking good.  Would shape the shins a bit closer to your leg than the carboard ones, but I figure that's a function of the cardboard more than you plans ;)

Keep it up!

Jaryn Solus

• Formerly 'Vegadane'
  • Awards Special Weapons
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2018, 02:11 AM »
I think it may actually be the boots pushing the shins forward, they may need to be switched out

Jaryn Solus

• Formerly 'Vegadane'
  • Awards Special Weapons
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2018, 10:27 AM »
Updates! Work done on legs and shoulders at the weekend... apologies as tape has slipped a little in places.

Thigh plates are shaped and rounded as much as possible to my mostly flat thighs. Knees are not standard design but after playing around with the template in the legacy files they've grown on me. I'm going to build up a little more detail on them. Shins we brought down to 3 plates instead of 4. Looking at the photos here I think they may need to be curved in a little more at the sides? Still need to add some boot plates.

160mm soil pipe for the shoulders. Came out as a very nice fit with no shaping, but will need some padding inside. Pipe is about 4-5mm thick so shouldn't need bulking out around the rim. Excess pipe used for biceps (this will be the same on both sides).

Visor cut into the helmet, plus added a deathtrooper style range finder (droid hunter requires some form of sensor / detector). I'm thinking I may build the earplate back out a little on this as at the moment it's just sitting flush to the side of the lid, so I may design & print a 3mm mounting plate which will help to level the RF and make it look a little less bolted on.

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Shoulder looks great.  Thighs are looking good but maybe a little low.

Agree -- need to shape the shins more -- I recommend using a 4 inch section of PVC pipe to shape them against to get a smooth curve.  They also don't have to wrap all the way around your leg like that, so you could trim the sides some.

Jaryn Solus

• Formerly 'Vegadane'
  • Awards Special Weapons
« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Agree -- need to shape the shins more -- I recommend using a 4 inch section of PVC pipe to shape them against to get a smooth curve.  They also don't have to wrap all the way around your leg like that, so you could trim the sides some.

Thanks - I left them over long as wasn't sure how far they'd wrap around, so will trim back then see how much reshaping is needed.

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017 Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Nice work. I really like the shoulders.

Art Team Member | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR

Jaryn Solus

• Formerly 'Vegadane'
  • Awards Special Weapons
« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Nice work. I really like the shoulders.

Thanks, the pipe elbows were a pain to get hold of but luckily they were spot on for size :)

redraynos14

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Those shoulders are sweet. Sep has you pointed in the right direction as far as the cod and thighs going up a little. Suspenders rigged to a belt beneath your waist items would be the way I handle it.

|B.O.M.B. #89|M.A.C.K. #52| Invasions: 14|Educational Events on Record: 8| Joined 03/2017|

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!