Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Valentin WIP

• 21 Replies

Jaryn Solus

• Sometimes it's better to think rather than speak
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Valentin WIP
« on: Jun 27, 2018, 12:31 PM »
As promised ;)

After some very patient advice from Kris Jasra I've pretty much got my templates down to where I'm happy with them. The current build thread under the Vok'Chi clan is here for more detail: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=154361.15

For the shoulders I'm aiming to use 160mm pipe elbows and modify to be closer to the Hondo Karr style bells. Shins need a little modification but I'm happy with the knees after playing with them in heavy card. The thigh has been tapered to match the top of the knee, I'll likely bulk them out with some trauma plating as well.

Owner of Cabiris Workshop - Custom and Bespoke 3D printed accessories
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=155271.0

Jaryn Solus

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: Valentin WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Plates are cut :)

Got hold of some 160mm pipe elbows to build some shoulders from as well. Just got to get the cut right to match the Hondo Karr style shoulders.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2018, 03:40 PM »
Missed your last update somehow.  Apologies :)

Templates and plates are looking good.  Would shape the shins a bit closer to your leg than the carboard ones, but I figure that's a function of the cardboard more than you plans ;)

Keep it up!

Jaryn Solus

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2018, 02:11 AM »
I think it may actually be the boots pushing the shins forward, they may need to be switched out

Jaryn Solus

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2018, 10:27 AM »
Updates! Work done on legs and shoulders at the weekend... apologies as tape has slipped a little in places.

Thigh plates are shaped and rounded as much as possible to my mostly flat thighs. Knees are not standard design but after playing around with the template in the legacy files they've grown on me. I'm going to build up a little more detail on them. Shins we brought down to 3 plates instead of 4. Looking at the photos here I think they may need to be curved in a little more at the sides? Still need to add some boot plates.

160mm soil pipe for the shoulders. Came out as a very nice fit with no shaping, but will need some padding inside. Pipe is about 4-5mm thick so shouldn't need bulking out around the rim. Excess pipe used for biceps (this will be the same on both sides).

Visor cut into the helmet, plus added a deathtrooper style range finder (droid hunter requires some form of sensor / detector). I'm thinking I may build the earplate back out a little on this as at the moment it's just sitting flush to the side of the lid, so I may design & print a 3mm mounting plate which will help to level the RF and make it look a little less bolted on.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Shoulder looks great.  Thighs are looking good but maybe a little low.

Agree -- need to shape the shins more -- I recommend using a 4 inch section of PVC pipe to shape them against to get a smooth curve.  They also don't have to wrap all the way around your leg like that, so you could trim the sides some.

Jaryn Solus

« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Agree -- need to shape the shins more -- I recommend using a 4 inch section of PVC pipe to shape them against to get a smooth curve.  They also don't have to wrap all the way around your leg like that, so you could trim the sides some.

Thanks - I left them over long as wasn't sure how far they'd wrap around, so will trim back then see how much reshaping is needed.

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2018, 09:35 AM »
Nice work. I really like the shoulders.

ORI’RAMIKAD 2020 | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736

Jaryn Solus

« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Nice work. I really like the shoulders.

Thanks, the pipe elbows were a pain to get hold of but luckily they were spot on for size :)

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Those shoulders are sweet. Sep has you pointed in the right direction as far as the cod and thighs going up a little. Suspenders rigged to a belt beneath your waist items would be the way I handle it.

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50

Jaryn Solus

« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2019, 12:00 PM »
Long overdue update!

Zaroc

• Honneur aux armes - Respect aux maîtres
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Family events Special Weapons Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2019, 06:46 PM »
It looks great!  :jango:

PWS #009 - New Death Watch Order #43 - O.O.P.S. ! #49
Zaroc - Brigade approved as Privateer/Gunslinger
Ogm'a - Archaelorian/Scavenger

Tusken Dan

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member EnviroOps
« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2019, 11:46 AM »
 :like:

Tak'ur

• Ner oyay cuyir tracyn bal tal
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Those Gauntlets look incredible  :o  :boba: :jango:

“When you find yourself surrounded by those who don't know or care who you are, comfort yourself knowing that you are part of something far greater and more powerful than they will ever have the privilege of knowing.”

Shev'la Ram'ser

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2019, 03:06 PM »
really digging the gauntlets and paint for kit! keep the updates coming!

Jaryn Solus

« Reply #15 on: Apr 01, 2019, 03:38 PM »
Thanks all, fair way to go, and I think I'll likely need some tweaks to my soft parts but happy with what I've got so far!

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Apr 18, 2019, 05:44 PM »
Looking good man!!  I can't wait to start my next kit.  Definitely going with Legacy this time.

P.s. - I kinda liked the first helmet better....  ;)

Jaryn Solus

« Reply #17 on: Apr 21, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Late night painting... (and rest assured, the old helmet went to a good home!)

Base colours

Adding some details...

More details and a little dirt on the visor

Weathering

Clearcoat over the top

Zaroc

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Family events Special Weapons Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #18 on: Apr 21, 2019, 05:28 PM »
Love the paint! I sense a fallout inspiration for the back, I m right?  ;D

Jaryn Solus

« Reply #19 on: Apr 21, 2019, 05:31 PM »
Love the paint! I sense a fallout inspiration for the back, I m right?  ;D

It came out that way, but all the ideas on this came from a set of motorcycle leather :)

Zaroc

« Reply #20 on: Apr 21, 2019, 05:49 PM »
Oh nice  :D The result is awesome  :jango:

Jaryn Solus

« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2019, 05:28 PM »
Progress :) Few bits that still need work!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!