Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Falcon's Armor Concept

• 25 Replies

Ko'rizna Falco

• Weapons are a part of my religion
Falcon's Armor Concept
« on: Jun 29, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Here are my first armor concepts, I went with two sets so that I can get a better idea of what will work IRL as opposed to a computer screen and in my head.

I settled on a medium armor set after starting these concepts and so I only have the top half of a light armor set done, but I figured it was enough to convey my idea and what I want to achieve.

As far as soft parts I am planning on a black or charcoal flight suit, a black molle vest (as they are cheap and I’m on a budget), a homemade girth belt either in black or red, and an ammo belt in black.

I’m thinking of using these boots: https://amzn.to/2MA48TY

And here are my concepts:

I figured that with the helmet having a lot of red and a black flight suit a black collar would work for both concepts (and I was tired of designing)

I am looking for feedback and further ideas. And if anything stands out as a bad idea to you please let me know.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Falcon's Armor Concept
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2018, 10:08 PM »
Those boots should work just fine.  If they possess any logos, you'll need to cover or remove them.

If you're going to use a black flight suit, I'd recommend using red for your plates.  Black plates on a black flight suit tends to get lost, and details in pictures will very muddied and hidden, typically.  When I was planning my own kit, I was planning on a black flight suit, but was talked into using grey...and I couldn't be happier that I changed my mind about the black.  Not only does the grey flight suit allow greater depth and visual impact, grey flight suits tend to visibly weather muuuuuch better than black.

As to using a MOLLE vest for your flak vest, I'd strongly recommend against it.   While you can use a MOLLE vest as your plate carried, pretty much every square inch of it needs to be hidden so it can't be seen to be a MOLLE vest - they're very recognizably modern earth tech tactical and therefore not really in the Star Wars universe.  While MOLLE vests can be cheaper than a purpose-build flak vest, you're going to wind up spending time, money, and frustration in modifying and covering the MOLLE so that it's unrecognizable.  Honestly, I think you'll be much happier in the long run stopping by the Mandalorian Supply Depot and looking for a flak vest there.  The prices are pretty fair, and the quality is - at the least - good, but usually ranges to excellent.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2018, 12:01 AM »
Thanks Havelock for the advice on the grey flight suit I will definitely look into that further.

And on the molle vest, as I have been watching the concepts thread I have seen that pop up a lot and I am now considering finding someone to maybe sew a flak vest for me for cheap as I am on a pretty tight budget right now, or just sucking it up and buying one of better quality that will last the long haul. 

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2018, 02:19 AM »
Overall I think you'll be happier with a flak vest.  Check out the Supply Depot. If you find a vest you really like, but it's a little out of your price range, maybe ask the vendor if they do payment plans.  Can't hurt to ask, and you'll be able to get a good piece that you can - bit by bit, maybe - afford.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Very good point, I will take a look around and see what I can find. Thank you so much for the advice and help everyone on here has been so helpful with tips, tricks, and support!

Havelock

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2018, 03:52 PM »
Absolutely my pleasure

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2018, 06:18 PM »
This may be a dumb question and I may be way overthinking but, I figured I would ask anyway.

In regards to the boots, I was doing a once over on them and the only "logo" is on the sole of the shoe and there is a metal rivet on the heel with a star on it.

I know the star has to go, but do we have to cover logo that are on the soles of shoes?

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2018, 06:37 PM »
I don't imagine that you need to go out of your way to cover the logo on the sole of your shoe. The App team only requires front, sides, and back for your photos. But I guess Havelock can put in his definitive answer in case I'm wrong lol

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2018, 10:24 AM »
Havelock covered the most of it. For emphasis, definitely no black plates on black vest on black suit :P. When I first got the Brigades up and running way back when Mythosaurs still roamed Mandalore, you wouldn't believe the battles necessary with people who wanted to do 'stealth assassin' builds with black on black. It definitely does not photograph well, and rarely even looks all that great in person unless its so heavily weathered that the black paint is more a memory than reality :P. Red and black are (or used to be) one of the more common combinations out there, but they can still look good together. You can also flip on the helmet, have it mostly black with red accents like your concept image there, and have it look good on a predominately red kit.

There are a couple of tutorials floating around for simple vest-making that even someone with no sewing skills can manage, including one that's superglued together rather than stitched. I would recommend sewing it anyway, or getting someone that can, but there are certainly simple enough designs out there to work off of. Otherwise, it could just be a matter of putting aside $10 or $20 a paycheck and ordering one from one of the vendors; many of them range in the $70-100 range and are of good quality. Something I try to stress with all new mercs is that you cannot rush your kit. Doing so often leads to mishaps and setbacks that make it take even longer than it should. Even if you have to wait a month or two to purchase a vest, it'll be worth it in the end.

As for the sole logo, I don't think you need to worry about it, but if you want you could always take a dremel or razor knife to it. Looks relatively small from the pictures online so it shouldn't be hard to get rid of it. Again, probably not something you have to worry about; it'll only ever really come up if you find yourself sitting in kit with your feet up on something.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Havelock

« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Well said, Slade.  Which is unsurprising.   :P  As big a fan of wearing lots of black as I am in my personal life, when it comes to costuming...all black is, in my opinion, visually boring.  It took me awhile to come to that conclusion, and looking at lots of photos of kits.  The all black ones definitely get lost and overlooked, particularly if there are any more colorful mandos around.

As regards the logo on the sole of the shoe, you're welcome to remove it it you want to, but it's most definitely not something you need to do.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2018, 01:54 PM »
Haha ok so not all black. I'm leaning toward the red plates with I think a black (or maybe gray) vest and black flight suit. But let me ask just as a thought, would a red vest be enough to offset the black plates?

I think that black soft parts with the red plates would look good. Plus the red will show weathering and grime better.

Jag Cabur

• Call me 'Sparky.'
« Reply #11 on: Jul 07, 2018, 05:52 PM »
You know, you could always do a base- or undercoat of black, then mask off the edges with toothpaste (or whatever masking material you prefer) and put on a topcoat of red paint.  It would get that red with faint hints of black you were going for in your second option.

Hand me my thinking grenades.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2018, 07:10 PM »
Oh yeah definitely going to do a couple of undercoats, with Silver, then the black undercoat, Red main coat, and black ash (art charcoal) weathering, and finally a clear coat.

Slade Kel

• Feet First Into Hell
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2018, 09:44 AM »
A grey vest would certainly offset black torso plates, just keep in mind the leg armor too.

QMU 72| M.A.B.E.L. 77| Cabur Akaata 144

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #14 on: Jul 14, 2018, 11:46 AM »
Well thank you all for the advice but I actually recently decided to change up the colors a little so that I won't blend in so much.

I think I'm gong to do something like this but medium armor and a little bit of red design or an image on the Tan plates. I printed out the Jango armor templates and I will be working from those.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Jul 14, 2018, 02:05 PM »
If you're still in the market for a vest, one of our clanmates, Kraam Xyrati, makes duck cloth vests. Great quality, and decent prices.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #16 on: Jul 14, 2018, 04:46 PM »
I think I have the vest covered. My mom lives in the area and sews so I think she is going to help me. I printed my templates Thursday and have been cutting them out but I don't want to get to far on them without a vest .

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #17 on: Jul 22, 2018, 11:25 AM »
I have two ever so slightly different paint concepts. They are both color matched to different paint that I have found online. One is a darker red/maroon with a lighter tan and one is a brighter red with a darker tan, or should I mix and match a combination of them. I'm also keeping in mind that my vest will be at the will of the fabric dye so that may have bearing on the colors as well. I've run this by my clan and would love other opinions too. I like them both equally and can't really decide.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #18 on: Aug 27, 2018, 02:22 PM »
Alright while I have most of my concept complete, which is why this thread died off I have a couple of ideas that I would love some input on. I am thinking of going light armor classification, with shin guards. But with my intent on going beast master eventually, I also need a "bite guard." I found the below image while just surfing away on the web and I was wondering what thoughts are on using this idea as a bite guard and then also how I would turn it into a mando style/swarzy armor.

Also, would this large of a piece and the shin guards bring me into medium armor or would I still be okay as a light classification?

Havelock

« Reply #19 on: Aug 27, 2018, 08:36 PM »
Just a down and dirty armor level classification:  Boba is light armor, Jango is heavy, adding more armor than Jango wears takes you into heavy.  As for that particular armor configuration, I'll cogitate to see what I can come up with to help you make it more swarzy, and I'm sure others will chime in, too.  If your'e wanting to include the bicep protection, then adding thighs, shins, or boot plates would take you from light coverage to medium.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: Aug 27, 2018, 09:01 PM »
Personally, I would drop the top plate, keep the two directly on the shoulder, and make segmented bicep armor.

But that's just me.   I REALLY do like this concept, and having some form of bite protection is a great idea for a beast hunter/tamer.

We'll have to sketch up something at the next AP.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #21 on: Aug 27, 2018, 09:09 PM »
I see what you mean, I could definitely drop the top most plate. Having a bite guard is part of the BRL for the tamer brigade. I'm definitely down for the help I'm so bad at sketching though so working through it with someone would be a great help.

Jag Cabur

• Call me 'Sparky.'
« Reply #22 on: Aug 28, 2018, 12:20 AM »
Ooh, I like this idea.  Might I suggest making a full suit first, then adding the bite guard on top of what's there?  Also, I'd suggest not dropping the top plate just yet; make a couple of cardboard mockups, see how they look and work with the helmet.  If you don't like it, you've lost nothing.

Hand me my thinking grenades.

Ko'rizna Falco

« Reply #23 on: Sep 05, 2018, 05:27 PM »
Jag, thanks for the advice. My helmet is still under construction (I've got several parts of my kit in motion) So I did make a mock up of what I want to do. I took a standard shoulder and enlarged it for my top plate, the second is regular size and the third is a custom bicep as well the guard itself is a custom plate. here is what I got out of card board.

I will have to add the rings as per the original concept as that mechanism is what allows the arm to bend but for a mock up I think it is looking pretty good. I'm not sure what material to use for the straps though, would a  1" nylon strap work (think adjustable part of a back pack strap) or is that too earthy?

« Reply #24 on: Sep 05, 2018, 07:01 PM »
On the colors, i do like the bright red/light tan better...but bright red is one of the hardest colors to create via dye. You'll almost always come out with a maroon or a pink. I would suggest getting a lightweight fabric already in that color, and having your seamstress make it as the outer shell of your vest, with the duck/canvas inside.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!