Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Long road to bucket

• 38 Replies

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Long road to bucket
« Reply #25 on: Sep 14, 2018, 11:31 PM »
Specific:

Those red circles aren't weathering, most of them are not finishing the filling of divots and pits, or holding the spray can too close.

Jakor Sevdel

• Alderaan had it coming
« Reply #26 on: Sep 14, 2018, 11:32 PM »
Thanks a million Sep!

"Here's why you can't exterminate us, aruetii. We're not huddled in one place—we span the galaxy. We need no lords or leaders—so you can't destroy our command. We can live without technology—so we can fight with our bare hands. We have no species or bloodline—so we can rebuild our ranks with others who want to join us. We're more than just a people or an army, aruetii. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas—but we certainly can kill you."
―Ranah Teh Naast

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #27 on: Sep 14, 2018, 11:43 PM »
Happy to be of service, you'll get it there, and it'll look all the more awesome for it.  Just, more sanding.

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Sep 14, 2018, 11:45 PM »
Leaps and bounds of improvement there Vod. Keep at it. Going to look amazing when you are through with it all.

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50

Jakor Sevdel

• Alderaan had it coming
« Reply #29 on: Sep 15, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Alright folks, done my sanding, repainted the spots worn away from said sanding. I see why this is called the sanding club  :laugh:.  Anyways, about to paint my jaig eyes, earlier someone said the handpainted look wasn't gonna fly (or something to that effect). So any suggestions or ideas on creating a template for it? My original method was printing an image of the eyes, cutting them out, tracing the outline onto the helmet with thin pencil and painting it on.

"Here's why you can't exterminate us, aruetii. We're not huddled in one place—we span the galaxy. We need no lords or leaders—so you can't destroy our command. We can live without technology—so we can fight with our bare hands. We have no species or bloodline—so we can rebuild our ranks with others who want to join us. We're more than just a people or an army, aruetii. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideas—but we certainly can kill you."
―Ranah Teh Naast

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #30 on: Sep 15, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Print it out on cardstock, cut it out.

Put painters tape on your bucket as wrinkle free as you can, use the cardstock cutout to trace onto the painters tape.

Use an exacto blade to cut and remove the part of the stencil where you want your paint.

Press all the remaining edges down firmly. Spray.

Jakor Sevdel

• Alderaan had it coming
« Reply #31 on: Sep 15, 2018, 03:03 PM »
Thanks again Sep, one last question: When painting the eyes they might run over some of my weathering spots, should I continue painting over it or sand it away for consistency?

―Ranah Teh Naast

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #32 on: Sep 15, 2018, 03:25 PM »
I recommend either masking it with toothpaste or sanding after. Once the paint has dried for 2-3 hours, removed the toothpaste with a babywipe. Don't let it crytallize and dry hard.

Jakor Sevdel

• Alderaan had it coming
« Reply #33 on: Sep 15, 2018, 03:31 PM »
Makes sense, we'll see how this ends up at

WELL THIS ENDED POORLY.

I have no idea how this happened. I cut out the sections of the tape, that took some paint off but not nearly enough for entire LAYERS to be peeled off when the tape was removed. I've done this amount of tape on the dome before so this is not something that's happened previously, it took of not only the grey top layer but the black under that too! This only happened on the front of the helmet, so that's about a month's work thrown out in one go. Going to have to do a new layer of grey on the front, and I'm going to have to paint the jaig eyes freehand because I do not want to go through this AGAIN. *sighs* How's that saying go? If it was easy everyone would be doing it?

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2018, 05:41 PM by Havelock » Logged
―Ranah Teh Naast

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #34 on: Sep 16, 2018, 10:51 AM »
If you could post some more details about the specific paints you're using -- brand, color name, etc.  we might be able to troubelshoot the issue.  Some paints just don't play nice together.  Also if you could tell us more about your prep between layers, (sanding, washing etc)  and the climate conditions where you're painting -- inside vs outside, humidity differences.   All of those have an impact on what happens when you pull off the blue tape.

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #35 on: Sep 16, 2018, 12:56 PM »
Honestly..... i think you should bite the bullet and give it a thorough sanding down and then re-primer it. Ready to start again.  ;)

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #36 on: Sep 17, 2018, 02:28 PM »
Honestly..... i think you should bite the bullet and give it a thorough sanding down and then re-primer it. Ready to start again.  ;)
Seconded.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #37 on: Sep 17, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Seconded.
That would probably be the best bet to make sure you don't have the issue again.  Keep to one brand of paints, use primer for primer, paint for paint.

Motion Passes.

Jakor Sevdel

• Alderaan had it coming
« Reply #38 on: Jun 22, 2019, 10:58 PM »
Well gentleman, it's been awhile

So after a long time I'm coming back to this bane/blessing I brought upon myself. Sanded down the whole thing to remove as much material and paint as I could (I've developed an irrational hatred of sandpaper) and started over. Painted a layer of silver, toothpaste in areas I wanted, then a layer of black. Let that dry, remove the toothpaste with paper towels, reapply toothpaste to include the black with the silver, then a final layer of grey.

Here's what we got:

A few comments:
-The first shot of the front looks slightly better in person than on camera, the light from overhead gives it that strange swirl look
-I can say upfront I think the back looks the worst of the five pictures, as no matter how much I sanded those lines and pops stayed in place (even took a belt sander to the thing...)
-The white material on the helmet in the fourth picture is bits of paper towel from the cleaning, easily removed and currently being cleaned off (it's along the rim, rightmost side of the picture)
-You can see in some of the shots that some of the grey is present in the silver and black (mostly in the spots where the toothpaste was thinnest), I can indeed scrape them off if needed, though I must pose a question if that is necessary, as I have seen similar helmets have bits of the top paint in the weathering (last bit of paint holding on)

Going to wait until I get feedback from the jury of experts before attempting the two helmet decals (jaig eyes and kill marks a la clone troopers). Many thanks for your patience with my shenanigans, and hopefully I'll get further along with this than last time.

―Ranah Teh Naast

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!