Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Lynx's Build (Pg4. Finally, full kit!)

• 51 Replies
Lynx's Build (Pg4. Finally, full kit!)
« on: Jul 08, 2018, 07:41 PM »
So I've been wanting to do this for over a year now (probably longer, really) since my younger brother started introducing me to cosplay at comicon and other events.  My brother has been everyone from the flash to aquaman to the joker to kylo ren, though given the fact that he makes some big bucks and has no craft skills to speak of he tends to buy his costumes (some for as much as 4000$), whereas I've never got extra money but have an overflow of creativity and a background in construction, CAD, welding, and engineering.  So, that said, I've finally stopped making excuses and started getting it together to make a mandalorian armor build.

Tonight was step one: got the patterns downloaded, printed, and cut out.  I'm using a mixture of the boba and jango armor patterns (boba upper armor, jango thigh/shin/leg armor).  This will all hopefully be combined with an NME props assassin helmet at a later date, as well as some custom equipment and weapons of my own making.

Next step is to tape and glue these patterns to thicker hardboard, cut it all out again, and finally transfer to sintra sheets and cut those out for forming.  Got a brand new dremel tool and heat gun last week, and an entire maintenance shop full of parts to help me work on this project.

The patterns I found did not include gauntlets, so I'm going to have to come up with those on my own.  That's probably for the best considering my plans for gauntlet-attached tech and equipment.  I'm hoping to come up with a collapsible clear acrylic shield with LED's on one gauntlet, to mimic the energy shields used by death watch and sabine in clone wars/rebels.  I got the idea from this thread: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=153858.0

For the other gauntlet, I'm considering either some kind of cryo-weapon (liquid CO2 emissions) or a retractable blade which would go hand-in-hand with the shield, allowing for melee combat.  Might go with some kind of retractable stun baton/electro-baton instead of an actual blade, still up in the air on that.  If none of those work out, probably just fall back on the typical flamethrower or wrist rocket attachment.

As far as jetpack goes, not sure if I'm going to do a pack (will be necessary for the C02 bottle if I go with a cryo-gauntlet) or if I'll just do the back armor plate and some kind of banner/half-cloak.   A butt-cloak like some of the clone troopers use would be interesting as well: http://i.imgur.com/f9StYsU.jpg

For color and patterning, I'm still not 100% decided but I'll most likely go with a black flightsuit for the base, and either black & silver or black & red armor.  Green is a possibility though, still trying to figure out how everything will look when it's done.  I do want to include some kind of feline iconography, perhaps a nexu or tusk cat emblem painted somewhere on the helmet, armor, or cloak (if I go that route).

Weaponry will probably be limited to a basic single pistol, something dl-44ish (always a fan of solo'd gun), but I'm also looking into making a rotating three-barrel heavy repeating blaster at some point.

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2018, 09:16 PM by Lynx7386 » Logged
Shiny.  Let's be bad guys.

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Finally getting started - Lynx's build
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 2018, 10:07 AM »
Looks like you have a good start. Before you get your sintra cut, I'd heartily suggest taking a photo with the templates taped onto you so we can check how they fit you, and notate any adjustments that may be necessary.

As far as vambraces go, most folks seem to go with 3D printed ones, but I do know that templates exist for scratchbuilding the Boba style ones. They should be the sixth and seventh links down on the template page.

On your ideas for the vambrace weapons, the blade would have to be manually operated - no springs or anything like that, as per the CRLs. I would definitely encourage you to run the CO2 idea past the App Team before you start, because I suspect that that's probably going to also be a no. I vaguely recall one of my clanmates talking with one of our Ruus'alors about a similar idea, and I believe they were told no as well. That being said, there's nothing that says you can't determine that the flamethrower housing is actually a carbonite projector and visually differentiate it a bit. Maybe a bit of frost patterning on it, or something like that. Heck, any time I'm asked, I tell people that my flamethrower is a wrist-mounted micro-repeater, and my wrist rocket is actually an energy flechette launcher.

Kama's are fun. Just make sure that you don't wrap it too far around to where it becomes a skirt or kilt.

A word of caution on doing an all-black kit: they rarely photograph well, so if you are going to have everything be black, play with textures and finishes to differentiate pieces. Maybe use twill for your flightsuit, leather for the flak vest, and then have the plates themselves be gloss black.

Your other weapons  and accessories ideas sound fine. For the shield, might I suggest a magnetic attachment? That way, should you need or want to, the shield itself is removable.

Hope this all helps, and I look forward to your build. Cheers!

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2018, 01:28 PM »
Was thinking an automated shield like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ0unSMWtsk

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2018, 06:27 PM »
With regards to the shield, if you want to emulate the Enfys nest shields from Solo it would be a good in universe reference.  With regards to the gauntlets there are several vendors on the supply depot that can provide you with great bases to work off of, or there is the PVC pipe and piano hinge route.   
cheap weaponry/cryo sprayer using  the end of a power washer  wand cut down to size would be a great base. then the grip from it would be good for your rifle/pistol weaponry. Take your time and work through the parts and always measure twice cut once.

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2018, 09:47 PM »
I had forgotten about those shields from solo, apparently they're even made out of mandalorian iron... interesting.  I'm not sure I really like the design though, I was going for more of a circular shield/buckler shape.  The expanding/collapsing segments is spot on though.

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2018, 07:59 PM »
Got all the pieces of the paper pattern glued onto sheets of thicker stock paper (hardboard).  Have to cut those out again, then transfer to sintra.

I'll definitely post some pictures once the stock is cut out again to make sure sizing is good.  I'm 5'11" and using the 6'0" pattern as it's the closest one available in the patterns list, might be slightly large but I think it'll turn out ok.

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2018, 08:11 PM by Lynx7386 » Logged

Raynos Ge'tal

• Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2018, 09:12 AM »
Have you taken pictures and gotten feedback with the paper patterns on you?

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Have you taken pictures and gotten feedback with the paper patterns on you?

Not just yet, I'll probably post pictures here tonight.  I was about to get to that point when I realized I ran into my first mistake - I accidentaly mixed up some of the pieces (namely the right chest and belly armor pieces) between the boba and jango patterns, so one chest piece was a boba pattern, and the other was jango, so I had to go back and find the proper piece and cut it out again, then the belly plate didnt match up to the chest plates anymore so I had to change that as well.

Waiting on the glue to dry, then some more cutting out the new pieces, and I'll get around to the pictures tonight.  Just had the alternator go out in my truck and my dog is sick, so those unexpected expenses may lead to further delays on getting the sintra =/

« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2018, 12:11 AM »
Ok, time to check sizing:

For the most part I think it's good.  I definitely will need to trim the back piece where it matches up to the collar.  Overall I think they're just very slightly on the large side for me, but after adding the bulk of a flight suit and vest should look perfect.  The back belt and cod piece sides are almost perfect (they're 42" circumference, and my waist is like 40-41", so once I add on a flight suit it should be a snug fit).  I'll probably find some way of clamping them together or using a buckle between them?  Not sure.

Didnt picture the leg pieces as they were more difficult to attach and display, but they all look good to my eye when fitting to myself.  Still havent done anything as far as gauntlets yet either, that'll be in the future I think.  Might just go with the piano hinge and pvc method and use sintra for the build-up/3 dimensional bits.

Any opinions on the sizing/spacing? 

Raynos Ge'tal

Re: Finally getting started - Lynx's build (Sizing/spacing posted)
« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2018, 08:27 AM »

plates are a tad wide, i recommend trimming a bit off just to plan for the eventuality of being totally kitted up and wanting the ability to cross your arms and not be bound up by your plates.   im not sure on their length. where is your navel? that will help me get an idea of length of the plates.    with regards to the cod trim it down some so its not getting caught on your thighs and whatnot as you walk. overall great first plating and good job on getting the collar in the right place the first time, that is usually the biggest problem I see with spacing photos.

backplates are more of a team effort and I strongly recommend getting your local clan involved in helping you make it but here are my suggested trims take it how you will.

Re: Finally getting started - Lynx's build (Sizing/spacing posted)
« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2018, 01:03 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I'll look into trimming a bit, but I think part of why everything looks so wide right now is because the pieces are all flat and havent been folded/shaped at all (these are still the paper patterns, not on sintra yet).  A little apprehensive about trimming the chest pieces down that much right now because it might end up changing the shape too much.

I do have a question about the shoulder bells, though (obviously not in the pictures): with the current way the chest/collar/back pieces fit, there's no way to really stick them on like you see with jango's outfit (where they kind of poke out horizontally at a slight downward angle).

Is it acceptable for the shoulder bells to be curved and placed on the outside of the upper arm, like from bicep to tricep), rather than directly on top of the shoulder?

EDIT:

Here's the cut and refitted pieces.  I definitely think it came out better on the front (I trimmed the collar by 1" on each side, as well as the two chest pieces by 1" on the outside edge and the gut plate by 1" on each side).  Trimmed the cod plate about 1-1/2" up from the bottom point and made it a straight edge instead of a point, looks better that way IMO.  I cut the back plate to be the same width as the collar plate edges at the top, and then took the outside edge down from about 1" at the top to 0 at the bottom above the parts that extend left and right.  Those were also trimmed 1" each on the outside edge, and on the bottom.

BTW, navel is roughly 1" below the bottom edge of the gut plate

EDIT:

This is what I was thinking with the shoulder bells - putting them around the upper arm, rather than extending out from the shoulders.  Would that be ok?

And here's a quick mockup of the overall armor using gimp, just drawing out the shapes roughly:

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2018, 03:14 PM by Lynx7386 » Logged
Re: Lynx's Build
« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2018, 08:46 AM »
Got my sintra ordered and I'm waiting on it to arrive.  Until then, playing around with concepts for the color scheme and patterning.  I'm not 100% set on the black/gold idea shown here, but I think it doesnt look  bad.  Thing is, my flightsuit may end up being the actual flight suit my grandfather used while flying fighter jets in vietnam (I brought up the need for a flight suit while talking to family and my dad said he's got that one in storage somewhere), it would be awesome to be able to use an item of significance to my family as part of my armor.  I'm pretty sure it'll be a green flightsuit, but I wont know until I see it, so the colors will have to be based somewhat around that.

If it does end up being a green air force flight suit, what colors would go best with that as far as armor?  BTW, the gold parts of the picture below are trauma plating, already got the patterns cut out for those.  The second picture is just messing around with the idea of using a kama/half skirt and placement for a mythosaur skull on the back, which probably wont happen.

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2018, 09:27 AM »
This is great. I love when people know what they want to do and plan it out. As far as the shoulder bells go, yes, you can definitely have them the way you want them. I'm not a fan of flaring out bells. I can't wait to see more progress from you. Nice work so far.

ORI’RAMIKAD 2020 | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736
« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2018, 10:59 AM »
This is great. I love when people know what they want to do and plan it out. As far as the shoulder bells go, yes, you can definitely have them the way you want them. I'm not a fan of flaring out bells. I can't wait to see more progress from you. Nice work so far.

Oh no, the shoulder bells will be curved around the shoulder and upper arm - i only left them flat in the picture to show the trauma plating/color detail.

Tek Sa'an

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2018, 11:11 AM »
I understood you about them being curved around your arm. I was referring to the flaring of Jango's, primarily. I'm not of fan of super flared bells. I like when they conform to the arm.

« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2018, 06:46 PM »
So the flight suit I may be getting is definitely green, I'm trying to decide on a new color scheme.

Current plan is black nomex flight gloves, flak vest, boots, waist wrap, and kama (if I do the kama idea afterall, still undecided).  Flight suit is green.  I'm thinking maybe earth tones would match best, so brown/tan/dark green?

Tek Sa'an

« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2018, 11:44 PM »
I like the first picture. You'd be just a little brighter. I like it.

« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Started working on a jetpack today using scrap, junk, and spare parts.  Thread for it is in the jetpack forum:
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=156896.0

Made the base gauntlets tonight, using the piano hinge & pvc pipe method.  They fit pretty snugly on bare arms so when I get the flight suit and gloves added into the mix they may be a little too tight.  I suppose I can adjust the closure to account for that, and cover any gap left on the inside of the arm with an extra piece of sintra.  Unfortunately I couldnt go any bigger, as this is already using 4" pvc pipe (and 6" would've been way too big).

(didnt even notice my daughter's hand showed up in that last picture, the little gremlin!)

I still have to do the equipment/attachments obviously, trying to decide on what I'll go with as far as wrist mounted goodies.  I'll probably do a rail/blaster attachment on one arm (as seen on the death watch guys & pre-viszla in clone wars), as I have some parts that'll work perfectly for that.  I may do a flamethrower on the opposite gauntlet.  I want to run a fuel line from one gauntlet to the backpack/jetpack if I go that route.

Update of the jetpack, had to alter it a bit as some of the parts just didnt look right.  With the added heat shielding around the nozzles and plating over the motor it looks a lot better I think.  I still have to re-attach the exhaust nozzles, waiting on everything else to dry first, then it'll be on to priming and painting.

« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2018, 10:44 AM by Havelock » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Lynx's Build (gauntlets/jetpack started)
« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2018, 10:44 AM »
As part of my moderation duties I must request that you please avoid Double Posting in the forums.  This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

Double Posts - Please refrain from posting immediately after yourself, also known as 'double posting'.
If no one has replied use the "modify" button to update your post.
WIP threads and other similar threads that have new content being added are exempt from this rule, provided the posts have useful new posts being added.
In such exemptions, replies to multiple questions when attempting to catch up should still be combined into single posts.
Moderators will exercise their best judgement, if you feel an error was made please contact the Moderator Lead and Tech Officer via PM.

The posts have been combined.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Aug 01, 2018, 01:11 PM »
That is a badshebs jetpack!

As for color scheme, I agree with Tek on the lighter colored plates.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #20 on: Aug 02, 2018, 03:36 PM »
I actually am abandoning the junk jetpack I think.  It looks great in pictures, but it came out too small (fits inbetween my shoulderblades, and looks pretty tiny on me, might be great for a kid's jetpack though) and after putting primer and a silver paint coat on it it looks really rough and shoddy.

I have a new design I'm going to build out of PVC pipe instead, should only run about 40-50$ in material cost for 3x 4"x24" pipes, 1 each 3" and 2" by 24" pipes, and some endcaps.  Here's a rough draft of the new jetpack drawn up in gimp and sized to my back.  It'll be roughly 15" wide, as opposed to the less than 12" of the other one, as well as look bulkier and more squared off:

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #21 on: Aug 03, 2018, 09:19 AM »
That looks amazing! If you make a how-to on that jetpack, I would be forever in your debt. I'm thinking I need a jetpack, but had no idea how to make or get one that was within a reasonable price range.

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2018, 09:26 AM by T_Jay00 » Logged
« Reply #22 on: Aug 03, 2018, 12:19 PM »
That looks amazing! If you make a how-to on that jetpack, I would be forever in your debt. I'm thinking I need a jetpack, but had no idea how to make or get one that was within a reasonable price range.

Sure thing,  I'll take pictures as I go and document everything.  My sintra finally came in yesterday so i probably won't work on the jetpack until my armor is done.

EDIT:

Started tracing out my patterns onto the sintra sheets.  Looks like I'll easily be able to fit all of my armor and trauma plating/detail pieces onto two sheets (well, about 1-1/2 sheets, got a lot of room left on the second sheet still), which is great because it'll leave me the extra material I need to work on the jetpack, gauntlet details, guns, etc.

« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2018, 01:58 PM by Lynx7386 » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #23 on: Aug 03, 2018, 02:20 PM »
I'm sad to hear that you're abandoning the jet pack, because it was really cool.  But I can respect your decision.   ;D  I'm looking forward to watching the rest of your build progress.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: Aug 03, 2018, 03:38 PM »
I actually am abandoning the junk jetpack I think.  It looks great in pictures, but it came out too small (fits inbetween my shoulderblades, and looks pretty tiny on me,

The jetpacks in Rebels are very small.

I think your junk jetpack is very cool looking.

Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!