Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

White armor, red-black soft parts concept

• 5 Replies

Kayl'ana

• Formerly 'keilana'
White armor, red-black soft parts concept
« on: Jul 12, 2018, 09:17 AM »
Hello!

I just finished my Sabine season 3 kit and now I thought I would do a custom mando!

I would like to go with a white armor but with red accents. I want a more "unisex" look so I won't go for female formed breastplates.
Anyway here is my drawing (drawing is not my strong suit, obviously! But I couldn't really get what I wanted from the mandomaker)

Main characteristics so far:
  • White armor with red and silver weathering: Heavy on the red side, like the armor was painted red first then white and now the red is showing.
  • I would like to include orange in there as well, but I'm not sure where. Have some orange weathering? Or orange shoulder bell? Or would that just be too much colors?
  • Double shoulder bells (2 layers). Probably one or two of a different color
  • Red sash and leg wraps
  • White loincloth with red borders
  • Same for the cape. I would like a "scarf-cape" that wraps around the neck. I could be secured by a mean looking pin!
  • I'm thinking the flight suit and vest could be black, but I'm still on the fence on this one. Do you think the armor will be less noticeable if I go for a pale flightsuit? Like off-white or cream?
  • If the flightsuit and vest are black then I'll go with black boots, belt, holster and gloves.
  • For the helmet maybe you guys have other suggestions on buckets. I've been searching for the last week and now I think I know what I like. Any suggestions?
    • I would like to have something a bit different from the classic boba/jango look
    • I prefer round cheeks and less "deep" or accented, a bit like the Sabine helmet (On a different note, is Nightowl helmets only for women kits? I'm not clear on that!)
    • It needs to be quite small. Like probably maximum 9.5"-10" diameter otherwise I fear it'll be too big
    • I want a RF, maybe two!
    • I saw Demon Dog studios Nighthawk that I like. Would that helmet be approvable for a modern kit?
    • Actually my favorite I've seen so far is the Project helmet from Saz, but the size is 11" so I'm concerned it'll be too large for my head!  :(
    • If you have any other suggestions I would really appreciate it!

So, if my understanding of the CRL is correct, since I'll have a loincloth and full back cape I don't need the backplate or cod piece. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I started to print the template from the website. I'm 5'7" so I printed both Boba and Jango templates for that size. Both seem a bit too big for the chest and neck armor. Is it normal to ajust/cut the templates or I'm doing something wrong? (I don't mind ajusting the template, I just want to make sure it's the way to go and I'm not missing something!)

Thank you for reading and I really appreciate any help you can provide!

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2018, 09:30 AM by Kayl'ana » Logged

Fenris Claddanna

• Formerly 'TI-8342'
  • Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: White armor, red-black soft parts concept
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2018, 10:20 AM »
Welcome!

I like your concept, a couple thoughts for you. For your whiteish-red paints, finding something like that in a spray paint may prove to be difficult, so a possible solution would be to get one of the sample-sized brush paints from your local home improvement store and ask them to add just a tiny bit of red or magenta colorant. Something like 5% or so. Just enough to give the white a reddish cast. Alternatively, have a look at a Pantone Swatch Book and if you find a shade that you like, make a note of the number and formulation(solid vs process, coated vs uncoated, etc) and ask them to match it. You could also take a white rattle can and mist it over your red to get the effect you want. My only concern would be if it comes out looking like you got bored halfway through and randomly stopped.

Adding orange as an accent colour is totally fine. I personally wouldn't have it next to the red since those tend to clash, but it's definitely doable.

If you're going to go with a black flightsuit, I would encourage the use of a different colour for your flak vest, or vice versa. Black-on-black tends to blend together and it may not photograph well enough to be visible in your app photos. Alternatively, play with texture and shades of black. Maybe do a leather-look vest instead of a duck cloth.

For basic approval, you are correct in that you don't need a cod plate or back plate if you have a loin cloth and cape, with the caveat that we shouldn't be able to tell that those plates are not present. From your concept art, I think you'll be fine.

Helmets, as far as I am aware, there's no rule that says a Nite Owl is only for female Mando kits. I haven't seen many guys go with that helmet, but I think that's because of issues with fan space and facial hair. Both the Nighthawk and the Project buckets should be approvable, but since I'm neither a Ruus nor on the App team, I'll let someone else chime in on that.

It is also completely normal to have to adjust the WOF templates to fit accordingly. They were designed based on a mezomorphic(roughly proportional in regards to height and width) body shape, whereas most of us tend to be either endomorphs(tall and skinny) or ectomorphs(shorter and broader). I think I readjusted mine four or five times before I got the correct sizing. I'd suggest taping them on and having someone take a photo so we can give you some feedback in that regards before you cut out your final material.

I look forward to seeing your build, ner vod. Cheers!

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2018, 01:44 PM »
I'm currently working on a Night Hawk for my new bucket.  So it better be approvable.   :P  And mandos, culturally speaking, don't really differentiate between male and female, so the any bucket is usable by any gender.  Otherwise, Fenris covered everything thoroughly.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 16

Kayl'ana

• Formerly 'keilana'
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2018, 02:18 PM »
Thank you very much for your answers!

White armor with red and silver weathering: Heavy on the red side, like the armor was painted red first then white and now the red is showing
On this I meant "layered" paint and using masking fluid for weathering. So the armour would be fully white, except on weathering spots where we'll see the red and silver (metal) under. Sorry I realize that might not have been clear.

I used rattle cans for my Sabine build but now I'm thinking about buying a airbrush to be more precise in my painting (and also having a larger range of colors). New skills yay!

I'm currently working on a Night Hawk for my new bucket
I went and found your WIP! It looks great! I'm glad I could see someone wearing the bucket, it's a bit larger then I thought. Also good tips in there, thanks!

If you're going to go with a black flightsuit, I would encourage the use of a different colour for your flak vest, or vice versa. Black-on-black tends to blend together and it may not photograph well enough to be visible in your app photos. Alternatively, play with texture and shades of black. Maybe do a leather-look vest instead of a duck cloth.
I don't really know what other color to pick. Black is kind of a neutral color that leaves the attention on the other pieces, which is what I want in this case. Red vest will be too much I think. I'll have to play around with my awesome drawing again!
I'm not sure I like the leather look for the vest. I have black denim here I though I could re-use for the vest, but I have no idea if that's a good fabric or not.

Again, thank you very much for your input!

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2018, 07:31 PM by Kayl'ana » Logged

Fenris Claddanna

• Formerly 'TI-8342'
  • Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2018, 02:53 PM »
Thank you very much for your answers!
On this I meant "layered" paint and using masking fluid for weathering. So the armour would be fully white, except on weathering spots where we'll see the red and silver (metal) under. Sorry I realize that might not have been clear.

I used rattle cans for my Sabine build but now I'm thinking about buying a airbrush to be more precise in my painting (and also having a larger range of colors). New skills yay!
Ahhh, gotcha. I must have misunderstood, then. My fault. New skills are always great to learn. Part of why I became a Mando in the first place  :)

On your vest, if you want to keep in the neutral colours, charcoal grey might be a good bet. If you're going to make the vest yourself, you could also take a paint swatch of each of your armour colours with you to the fabric store and see what works best. Denim will work for the vest, but depending on the thickness, it may either be too hot, or too thin, depending on if it's a jeans denim or a fashion denim. On the other hand, if you do your flightsuit out of a bottomweight twill and if I'm not confusing my fabrics in my head, that's actually a great way of playing with different textures to differentiate the two items. If the denim does turn out to be too thin, backing it with a canvas or duck cloth type of material will help prevent Saggy Plate Syndrom.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2018, 05:59 PM »
I went and found your WIP! I looks great! I'm glad I could see someone wearing the bucket, it's a bit larger then I thought. Also good tips in there, thanks!

You're very welcome.  And thank you back.   ;D  One of the reasons I got the Night Hawk is because it's big.  I wear a large hat size, and glasses, so I needed a bucket with plenty of room in it.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 16

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!