Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Wzzzrds Race to Gencon

• 10 Replies
Wzzzrds Race to Gencon
« on: Jul 12, 2018, 11:02 AM »
Hi All!

About 3 months ago my girlfriend and I decided we wanted to start our Mandalorian outfits and have them done by GenCon (8/2/18) this year.  I quickly got her Sabine season 4 stuff together, since I had something to go off of.  For me I floundered a bit, but finally came up with a paint and armor scheme.  Unfortunately I don't have many pics of the build process since I get pretty single minded when working.

Here is my helmet, it was fully 3d printed from a paid file on cgtrader, there are a lot of good files out there for free but this had the look I wanted, plus the file was great quality.  After printing the sabine helmet in one piece, I decided to do this in 2 pieces so I could print faster on bottom portion and much slower on the dome to get a smooth dome.

Some test fitting with tape.

Almost finished here, the stalk is off camera and drying from it's recent airbrushing, it is 3d printed as well.  The whole helmet was coated with a layer smoothing 2 part epoxy to smooth it, add rigidness, uv protection and to give me material to sand off.  After a few hours, a few cans of fillable primer and some sweet nothings to the airbursh I got this. 

I think it might need some more weather, but my main concern is the visor.  Is it dark enough?  I picked up a 12x24 piece of acrylic from a local plastic supplier and gently coaxed it into shape with the heat gun, since the standard size welding visor was not long enough to fill my fill T slot.  Only thing missing at this point is taking a picture with the stalk on and gluing the fans.  I'm printing up some 9v battery holders to put in for quick swapping, so that will have to be a weekend project.

A bit of my process.  This is a 3d printed shoulder pad, I printed it slowly and had little post work to do with it, which makes me very happy.  You can see it had it's first layer of airbrushed paint, when I changed direction and decided I wanted white shoulder pads.  I used silly putty to mask off the section I wanted to keep blue and you can see the result in the last picture.

Here is all of the armor laid out and the first passes at weathering are done.  All of the parts are 3d printed with the exception of the cod piece which is Sintra.  The gauntlets are april storm props 3d models off of thingiverse and are awesome files.  The knees, shins, chest, collar, and abs are were all modeled by me.  Once I had everything done I realized I wished I had made my chest armor bigger.  I tested it with paper and even fresh off the printer, but I guess my girlfriend and I both thought they looked big enough.  Right now I don't have enough time to redo them, but it's something I will do.

Things not pictured but that are done.
-Black scrubs turned into flight suit*
-Black vest with integrated collar made*
-Grey waist wrap done*
-Grey cape almost done*
-Belt and belt poaches purchased
-2 westar blasters painted and weathered (3d printed, painted black and silver)
-Nylon webbing, buckles and velcro on thigh holsters
-Foam and velcro attached to helmet
-Foams, hinge pin and magnets in gauntlets
-Boots and gloves purchased
-Fans wired up and soldered for helmets
*My loving gracious and overwork girlfriend did all of this work

To Do!
-Attach elastic to nylon webbing
-Attach elastic to knees and shins
-Attach foam in knees (maybe, all based on comfort)
-Attach fans into helmet
-Attach velcro to vest and armor pieces
-Clear Coat, Clear Coat, Clear Coat!!!!!!

Nice to have
-Paint up some 3d printed thermal detonators
-Add LCDs to gauntlets
-Paint symbol on cape
-Create back armor
-Add more paint detail to pistols

So there it is, I will try and get some more pictures of everything, I'm pretty happy with my timeline so far.  I have about 3 weeks to finish everything and hopefully by this weekend I will be almost done.  I've promised the girlfriend takeout Chinese if we can knock out a bunch of our to do list.  I'll try to update with more pictures soon.  Please let me know what you think!!!!

Edit: Links to some of the files if you are interested
Helmet
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/games-toys/game-accessories/death-watch-mandalorian-helmet
Thigh Holster
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2913088
Shoulder Pads
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1752380

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2018, 12:28 PM by wzzzrd » Logged

Barrise Tisa

• Mother of nexu
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Celebration Orlando 2017 Donated four quarters of 2023. EnviroOps
Re: Wzzzrds Race to Gencon
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2018, 11:49 AM »
This is great. Your helmet is looking a little large. But it might not with the whole armor together.

The mother of nexus
MMCC #1735. Brigade #251,392.  QMU #065. M5 #84.  M.P.C.S. #004. Aran Wolves Oyula Ori'tsad #05. Mir'Shebse #14. L.O.B #36. M.A.R.S. #69 O.O.P.S #56 M.V.S #074 Vode Be Vhekad #19
https://i.imgur.com/dHQt60n.jpeg

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2018, 11:56 AM »
This is great. Your helmet is looking a little large.

It won't be too large in terms of width.  It looks a hair long, but as long as it clears your shoulders and chest, it's fine.  Visor looks dark enough to me. Great job getting rid of the print lines! 

Hard to speak to the rest of the armor without seeing it on you, will be looking forward to that!

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2018, 12:26 PM »
Thanks, hopefully I can get pictures this weekend!  I think the inside might be a bit small, since it took some coercing with the foam padding to keep my nose from touching the front, part of that is that I have a big nose.  that picture is without the foam padding so it actually lifts about 1 inch off of my head and rotates back a few few degrees.

Barrise Tisa

• Mother of nexu
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Celebration Orlando 2017 Donated four quarters of 2023. EnviroOps
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Thanks, hopefully I can get pictures this weekend!  I think the inside might be a bit small, since it took some coercing with the foam padding to keep my nose from touching the front, part of that is that I have a big nose.  that picture is without the foam padding so it actually lifts about 1 inch off of my head and rotates back a few few degrees.

That's great.

The mother of nexus
MMCC #1735. Brigade #251,392.  QMU #065. M5 #84.  M.P.C.S. #004. Aran Wolves Oyula Ori'tsad #05. Mir'Shebse #14. L.O.B #36. M.A.R.S. #69 O.O.P.S #56 M.V.S #074 Vode Be Vhekad #19
https://i.imgur.com/dHQt60n.jpeg
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Slight update! 

My belt and pouches.

Weathered shoulder pad

Left thigh holster with webbing and velcro

Gauntlets and foam, I can even wear my fitbit!  the hinge is 2mm steel rod.

2 Westar Pistols, both 3d printed.

Finally added foam and the range finder to the helmet.

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2018, 03:52 PM by wzzzrd » Logged

grantaire

• Steve Buscemi rhymes with Mom's Spaghetti
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2018, 05:00 PM »
The helmet look much better with padding. My boyfriend had a similar DW helmet with the long face and his nose touched the visor when trooping too. All of the pieces look really great - can't wait to see everything once you get kitted up.

« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2018, 02:00 AM »
Probably the last update until the beginning of next week.  Here are the rough (duck tape) placements of most of the plates.  I've marked the areas and just need to sew on my velcro and then place velcro on the armor finalize the position and glue!

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2018, 12:36 PM by wzzzrd » Logged

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2018, 05:30 PM »
Chest plates will need to come up, and it looks like the spacing around the chest diamond is a little bit crowded. It also looks like you will need to trim the two ab plate edges bordering the inside of the chest plates so you can move the ab plate a little further up. I would make these adjustments and post another picture before going too far ahead with making things permanent. All in all, it's a really solid build! I can't wait to see it all together! Well done so far!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2018, 12:59 AM »
WOOO, everything is pretty much done.  I need some new boots that are tighter on my calves and I didn't notice until I took the pictures how the alignment of my plates are off, luckily I can adjust the velcro.  I also have a new set of chest plates printing that fit better with my abs and collar, but for my con next week, this works for me.  I decided to not wear my cod armor so I can more easily set down.  I also might have a bit of weather left to do on my sash and loin cloth.

Cavian_Morloc

• "Sucuy'gar ner vod."
« Reply #10 on: Jul 29, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Honestly I'm pretty into the clear-cut simplicity of this set. Nothing like a straight-forward suit of armor to make things fun!

Though, my only piece of criticism I can probably give is the helmet, like others have mentioned. To me it seems a bit too long. Probably fine standards-wise? I'm not quite sure, I'm no staff member or anything lol! But you may end up having a lot of difficulty lowering your chin or looking down without doing really weird things with your neck. I build a suit of Khorne Cultist armor a few years back with a helmet of similar proportions, and ended up having to toss the whole thing half-way through the con because my neck and shoulders were all jacked up- Granted I used a much heavier material, but I'd still recommend a slightly shorter helmet on the next kit!

Those are just my own thoughts on it though, for all I know it works fine for you. Anyways, keep up the good work!   :boba: :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!