Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Raeden's Soft Parts WIP

• 0 Replies
Raeden's Soft Parts WIP
« on: Jul 15, 2018, 01:04 AM »
Hello!

I started on my soft parts yesterday, and here is where I'm at:

This is the flight suit and the flak vest I have. The flight suit is a red kap coverall. Came in the mail today.

Here's just the coverall. The legs need to be brought in I think. And the arms a bit too, it seems like. Though I'm planning on making my gauntlets before making any decisions about the arms. I don't know if I'll do the legs myself yet.

The vest was made from Point's pattern. I used fake leather. Forget what brand, but it's fairly light and a bit stretchy. No darts. It fits fine (though it's a bit hard to get in and out of by myself), but there's a little bit of odd folding at the collar. Not sure how  to fix that right now, so I'm going to see how armor affects it. I'm also planning to have a full-length cape, which might also change how the fabric behaves on me. My first time using a sewing machine by myself though! So overall, quite proud of what I've done. The vest goes on with zippers on the two sides and velcro on a shoulder. The zippers are hidden with velcro-ed flaps.

Also, after playing around with how odd the flightsuit collar looks under the vest, I think I've decided to flip it up. It should blend in once I've got a neck covering.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get some shoulder bells on the vest and get my chest armor cut and shaped.

Here are the gloves and boots I'm looking at:

Gloves. I want something I'll be able to operate my phone with during troops in case something comes up. I also don't want to have to worry about covering labels (just takes more time *shrug*) and these don't appear to have any.

Boots. Obviously will need some spats to cover the laces, but also do not appear to have any labels. Are also pretty inexpensive (price tends to hover around $34)

Edit July 15, 2018:
Tapered the legs of the coverall today. The results are great, in my opinion. I probably could have fit at least three of my legs in there before. Now, I can fit just one. But it's still very easy for me to get in and out. Well, my legs at least. The shoulders are a bit awkward to get into, but I'm kinda broad for my size.

Here is with the tapered legs. Much better than before, in my opinion

Also got my armor pieces cut out and shaped today, so then I spent an hour or so placing velco onto my flak vest (it's on a mannequin of my torso I made a while ago). I put the fuzzy side on the vest.

Plan to sew those on tomorrow after testing the placement with the plates once I've got the hook sides glued onto the armor.

Didn't get to do shoulder bells since I got into the velcro instead. If I have time between my armor and helmet, I'll try to get those on tomorrow. Otherwise, they probably won't go on until I'm working on the shoulder pieces.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!