Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Raeden's Armor WIP

• 13 Replies
Raeden's Armor WIP
« on: Jul 15, 2018, 01:11 AM »
Hello! Posted an armor WIP here about a year ago, but never actually got around to the WIP part. I now have sintra though, and I plan to cut and shape my plates tomorrow.

Here  is a mockup of how the plates fit me. Ignoring the crooked placement, I think they're a good size. I've transferred the patterns onto some cardstock so I can trace them onto sintra.

Stencils

More to follow soon  :D

Straka Zulu

• Formerly 'STRAKAZulu'
  • Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Raeden's Armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2018, 09:55 AM »
You're off to a good start!
You might want to trim the edges slightly, maybe 1/8th inch at the most. The outside edges of the chest plates look like they would poke you in the arms if you were to try crossing them.  And the ab plate, does it's bottom edge sit about an inch above the navel?

That aside, they all line up really nice, and you've got the right idea on spacing. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing more progress.  ;D :like:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2018, 10:16 AM »
Sizing looks pretty spot on to me, actually. They're on the wider side but I wouldn't trim them down quite yet.

Go ahead and start cutting sintra. If they are still a little wide after shaping, then you can take a little off the outsides.

They/Them Pronouns | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 24

Straka Zulu

• Formerly 'STRAKAZulu'
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Sizing looks pretty spot on to me, actually. They're on the wider side but I wouldn't trim them down quite yet.

Go ahead and start cutting sintra. If they are still a little wide after shaping, then you can take a little off the outsides.
Since Jenga is app team, listen to their advice.   :like:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2018, 07:26 PM »

I cut and shaped the chest armor today. They might be a little wide, but they don't hinder any movement as far as I can tell. I kinda like the wider look, but if it's an issue for being approved I'm not opposed to trimming them down.

Here are the plates after being cut out.

To help me shape, I used a duct tape torso mannequin I made of myself a year or so ago. I've gained some weight since then, but it worked fine for my purposes.

Plates after first round of shaping. I tried them on to see where there were some awkward spots...

...and went back and worked on the chest plates to make them a bit rounder.

Here are the plates on the mannequin. Angle's a bit weird, sorry. But they look good to me now, sizing and shape wise. Placing's still a bit crooked. But if they look good to you, I'll start placing velcro.

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2018, 08:18 PM »
Certainly on the wider side, but if you like the look then I see no issue with them  :D

They/Them Pronouns | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 24
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2018, 12:45 PM »
Yesterday, I got some paint onto the chest pieces!

Velcro super-glued onto the backs of the plates

Velcro sewed onto my flak vest. It looks uneven, but trust me - everything is correctly spaced when it's actually on me.

Pre-primer and pre metallic undercoat

All metall-y and ready for coloring/weathering! I plan to do purples and black for my color scheme. A bit sad to cover up the silver though - it looks pretty cool!

I hope to do some painting today or tomorrow. I also drew up some templates for my leg and shoulder armor yesterday, so I'm hoping to trace, cut, and shape that today. I don't have boots yet, but they'll have laces so I'll also have to sketch up some boot plates.

Straka Zulu

• Formerly 'STRAKAZulu'
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Looking forward to seeing some color on them, vod.  ;D

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2018, 08:57 AM »
I just love that stage when the armor goes from plastic to metal. It kind of feels like "Poof! I have armor now!"  :like:

'To the pain' means that the first thing you lose will be your feet below the ankles. Then your hands at the wrists, and your nose. The next thing you lose will be your left eye, followed by your right. Your ears you keep, and I'll tell you why: so that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish; every babe that weeps at your approach; every woman who cries out, 'Dear God! What is that thing?' will echo in your perfect ears. That is what 'to the pain' means.
« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2018, 01:48 PM »
Looking forward to seeing some color on them, vod.  ;D

Waiting until I have all the pieces molded and painted to that point... should be just a few more days! I realized that the clear coat I used for a small painted garden statue a while ago was a different brand from the paint I've been using - whoops! I'm going to clearcoat over the metallic because even though it's dry it seems to like coming off onto my hands - don't want it coming off with masking material later on.

I just love that stage when the armor goes from plastic to metal. It kind of feels like "Poof! I have armor now!"  :like:

It really does, doesn't it? It looks so cool lmao

Got the rest of the plates almost ready for the first round of paint! :D

Here're the templates I sketched out. I still need to make boot plates though...

Flightsuit+flak vest+chest armor+templates

Everything all cut out :)

Shin plates assembled with super glue - looking pretty cool, but very brittle:

These guys felt like they wanted to break apart as soon as I touched them, so I grabbed some sintra scraps and cut/shaped some reinforcements.

Super glued those guys on - much better!

Also shaped the rest of the plates while I was at it:

Well, everything except for the thighs...

More updates soon  :jango:

« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2018, 11:51 PM »
Welp, it's raining today, so I was stuck doing nothing. Internet window shopping for more parts though. I did get some paint on the leg and shoulder armor yesterday though, so they're all primed and metalled up.

Also got a clear coat on the chest plates so the metallic doesn't rub off.

Got another test fit of the plates on the flak vest on me:

Looks like the plates are oversized a bit in the photo. I was more concerned with the fact that they looked kind of uneven - that's because one of the fangs of one of the chest plates didn't want to stay flat! I suspect it has to do with how the velcro tugs it because I didn't have this problem before, but I didn't feel like boiling water (how I've been shaping so far), so I went at it with the hair dryer to curve it a bit more.

All fixed. Might want to move the ab plate down a bit, or the chest plates up a bit. Luckily attachment is velcro so that's not difficult at all. I also tried it on over the flight suit and the plates fit my body better... In my opinion, anyways. The alignment gets messed up if I move my arm too far inwards though (if arm is outstretched straight out then moving my entire arm towards the center of my body, about when my hand gets to the center....if that makes sense...)
...is that an issue I'll have to fix? Or is it something that just happens in general? It seems like it's something that just happens because of the way fabric moves, but I don't know.

Plate alignment also gets majorly screwed up if I slouch, so I guess I'll have to practice good posture  ;D

I'm having a minor issue with the velcro pieces I've attached to the plates themselves peeling off in places. A minor issue because it can be avoided by removing the plates slowly and carefully. Any suggestions? I used cyanoacrylate-based super glue to attach them. The velcro is sew-on, so it has no adhesive backing.

I also got a friend who's a whiz with electronics to agree to helping me add a voice changer and some gauntlet displays once he gets back...seemed excited - he wanted to add force sensors to play sounds every time I take a step...that would be cool, I guess. Don't know if it will be cool or my wallet though  :laugh:  :blank:

Measured my arms today and started conceptualizing a gauntlet design as well. Will post photos once I get a more solid plan...which might not be for a while because I'll have to include the electronics.

Overall, happy with my progress so far....I'll have to actually pay attention to my bucket at some point though...but...sanding....so...much...sanding....

Straka Zulu

• Formerly 'STRAKAZulu'
« Reply #11 on: Jul 21, 2018, 02:41 AM »
So, the shaping seems to be OK.  You mentioned wanting to move up the plates, start with the collar plate.  That is supposed to be almost choking you, it'll be that close to your neck and neckseal.  Once that is in the right spot, it'll be easier to judge where the rest belong.

The plates might be a bit too wide, if when you reach forward or cross your arms they bunch up or bite you.  You probably could stand to trim about 1/8th inch off all of them. As for your posture, once you have a back plate, girth and ammo belts, those can help you not slouch.   At least that works for me...  ;D

Keep at it, you are VERY close!  Good luck,  and good hunting!

« Reply #12 on: Jul 21, 2018, 09:45 AM »
So, the shaping seems to be OK.  You mentioned wanting to move up the plates, start with the collar plate.  That is supposed to be almost choking you, it'll be that close to your neck and neckseal.  Once that is in the right spot, it'll be easier to judge where the rest belong.

The plates might be a bit too wide, if when you reach forward or cross your arms they bunch up or bite you.  You probably could stand to trim about 1/8th inch off all of them. As for your posture, once you have a back plate, girth and ammo belts, those can help you not slouch.   At least that works for me...  ;D

Keep at it, you are VERY close!  Good luck,  and good hunting!

Copy that vod, Iím looking into moving the plates a bit. My main concern was spacing, actually. I know the spacing is a part to be very picky about.

Iíll probably trim the sides a bit this afternoon if I get a chance (working on some chicken housing today :P).

Thanks for all your advice  :D

Update on what's happening:

I trimmed the sides of the plates. It helped, but I'm still dissatisfied with how the plates move around when I move around. It also seems like they're really far away from my body because of the use of velcro (at least that's what I think..maybe I need more velcro), so I'm considering switching to magnets. I also might just re-do my chest armor because it's bothering me a lot... That means I might hold off on painting them... I'm kind of upset about that, but considering how quickly everything has been coming together over the last week, I can't complain too much. The legs so far have been great to work on, and (fingers crossed) I haven't hit any major road blocks yet on that front.

Barring the fact that I'd be abandoning all the work I put on them, actually kinda liking the idea of re-doing the chest pieces. I'd draw them out myself this time though, to make sure they're the right size. That and the printer isn't working. Thoughts?

Some good news: I ordered some belt pouches, and those came today. The sides aren't sewn down to the bottom, so I'll probably spend some time modding those so that I can actually keep things in there while trooping. Put it on over an orange sash and I'm liking the look!

Plates trimmed 1/8" on the sides...didn't help too much with the alignment issues. I liked the wide look but I just dont think it's practical. They don't shift too much with my arms when it's the vest over a t-shirt, but the extra material on the flightsuit (bigger sleeve holes/long sleeves vs short) makes it much worse. That's my theory anyways. Doesn't really matter what about wearing the flightsuit causes it since I'll have to wear it under the plates. But they look really cool with the sash and the belt! The pouches will have to get their own velcro pieces on the belt I think because they like to ride up when I walk. I also want to work on a mythosaur buckle at some point which should look pretty cool too  :D

So, thinking of scrapping the chest plates. I'll probably go ahead and paint the leg pieces tomorrow or monday regardless of what I decide to do. I leave for five days early thursday morning, so I can't do anything while I'm away, but hopefully I can at least get some templates for the new chest pieces before I go.

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #13 on: Jul 23, 2018, 07:27 PM »
As part of my moderation duties I must request that you please avoid Double Posting in the forums.  This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

Double Posts - Please refrain from posting immediately after yourself, also known as 'double posting'.
If no one has replied use the "modify" button to update your post.
WIP threads and other similar threads that have new content being added are exempt from this rule, provided the posts have useful new posts being added.
In such exemptions, replies to multiple questions when attempting to catch up should still be combined into single posts.
Moderators will exercise their best judgement, if you feel an error was made please contact the Moderator Lead and Tech Officer via PM.

The posts have been combined

Now that that's out of the way, you're making some nice progress, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 18

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!