Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Lynx's Junk/Scrap jetpack build

• 5 Replies
Lynx's Junk/Scrap jetpack build
« on: Jul 28, 2018, 02:02 PM »
Working on a budget for my accessories since the soft parts and sintra are going to cost me an arm and a leg anyways, so i started working today on a jetpack made entirely of scrap and junk parts.  I'm a maintenance technician for an apartment complex, so I always have access to a lot of old/used parts or spare parts that come with things we order but dont need to use.

This jetpack build started out with a wall insert used for washer/dryer connections (the little box that the supply line pipes come out of).  This particular insert had the pipes removed for a repair, and the box itself was the wrong type for what we have here, so it made for a free and easy base to start building off of.  For the exhaust nozzles, I used two kitchen faucet sprayer bases threaded through the base, and glued on two toilet bolt caps for the final nozzles.  I cut out the center of the base and used an old showerhead water softener attachment that had been left by a previous tenant, threading it through the top and fitting it at an angle with a nail:

Next I wanted to create a shroud around the base to make it a little bigger, a little bulkier, and not quite so squared off.  I used the motor housing from a ceiling fan, cutting it to fit the base inside as best I could.  I also filled the base with expanding foam to fill in some of the gaps around the water softener.  it will require quite a bit of touchup work once that foam dries/hardens in order to make everything smooth again, but it was all I had available at the time:

I secured the base to the fan housing with a little bit of silicone around the top and bottom edges for now, but all the little "slits" from the ceiling fan housing are going to eventually be filled and sanded smooth.  The slits on the opposite side (which will be against my back) will remain open, serving as a sort of air intake/turbine for the jetpack.  I may even put an LED light strip inside the housing so you can see a glow through all of those little slits.
After that, I plugged the two holes on the bottom of the base (where the previous pipe fittings had been) with a couple of spent CO2 gun cartridges to look like fuel or power cells.  I added a shower cartridge cover, cut in half, to the bottom of the water softener to cover the pipe and nail holding it in, and appear as an extension of the motor/turbine.  Finally, I drilled a hole in the top left of the base and used a broken toilet tank handle to create an antenna on the pack:

Tomorrow when the foam and glue/silicone has dried I'll see what I can do about cleaning things up, filling the slits on the fan casing with drywall joint compound or maybe bondo if I can find some.  I also need to figure out what to do with the bottom back section of the fan casing that extends past the base, as it looks a tad out of place.

Shiny.  Let's be bad guys.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Lynx's Junk/Scrap jetpack build
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2018, 06:32 PM »
That's an interesting and inventive design.  I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2018, 09:44 PM »
Got some joint compound to fill in all the slits put on, waiting on that to dry, cleanup is going to be a mess. i removed the antenna, the glue didnt hold it on well, so I plugged the hole with filler and I'll figure out something for that detail later.  Also the jet nozzles fell off, glue didnt hold, going to have to go with superglue instead of liquid nails.

One thing I'm worried about is that this thing is going to be too small or not look proportionate once it's on my back.  The mando jetpacks are a little oversized, and this one is about as wide as my shoulderblades.  I may have to add additional detail to the top or bottom of the pack to extend it's vertical size, not sure how I'm going to manage that yet.

EDIT:  Just thinking of how I can alter the shape, I may be able to extend a square-ish angular piece upwards made out of sintra to create some more verticality to the pack:

« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2018, 10:05 PM by Lynx7386 » Logged

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2018, 10:50 PM »
I agree with Havelock. Very interesting design. Nice work so far.

ORI’RAMIKAD 2020 | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736
« Reply #4 on: Jul 29, 2018, 01:19 PM »
Update - had to remove the antennae, got the joint compound sanded down and cleaned up a bit, and added heat shielding to the exhaust ports and over the back to break up the shapes a little.  I think it's looking a lot better now:

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2018, 05:48 PM »
Great work on this jet pack. really like the design of this Vod..

MMCC OM #1437 |MMCC Brigade #198| B.O.M.B #069 | MiB #018| B.O.O.M #027

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!