Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mik ika's WIP 2

• 23 Replies

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
Re: Mik ika's WIP 2
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2018, 07:53 PM »
You do realise you will need a flak vest..... also if i were you i'd get all your plates shaped before you start sanding and repainting anything as the heat from your heat gun could likely cause your paint to blister and peel.  ;)

« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:38 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving vods,

Thanks for the tip. I am going to go through my plates to determine which ones need to be repainted, as not all of them are noticeably cracked. As for my weapons, I am making some progress on them. I was working on the crossguard for my beskad, until I filleted my finger. I know I should wear gloves, but I always forget to. Mandalor even said to wear gloves his videos, which I have watched a bunch of times. Anyway, the beskad is not ready for reveal so I have drawn up a concept. Keep in mind this is a crude drawing as I am not the best of drawers.

Thanks vods!

Mik'ika

« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2018, 03:08 PM »
Hey vods!

My finger has healed enough for me to resume working on my kit. I am taking a break from armor and now focusing on weapons. I am hoping to complete my beskad soon as I just need to finish the crossguard and add another layer of plas-tex as it is a little flimsy. I finally got a dowel for my spear, so I will be starting on that very soon. It is 6 feet long, but I am thinking about cutting that down to 5. If anyone has done a spear or something similar I could use your advice. I am keeping it pretty basic, but some advice would not hurt. Jett, you mentioned the flak vest, well not to worry, because I made that months ago. I just have not shown any good pictures of it, although I will after I tweak it a bit. Anyways, here is the base for my spear:

Thanks vods and merry christmas!
Mik'ika

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2018, 05:19 PM »
no worries mate.

« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:20 PM »
Hey Vods!

I have been preoccupied with school and other projects, but I am back now. I have gone through my plates and determined which one need to be redone and which others are OK. The shin, thigh, boot, cod piece, and gut plates posses no cracks. The chest and shoulder plates have minor cracks, but they are not very noticeable. The knee and collar plates are the only severely cracked plates that I know have to be redone. Weapons are almost done, just have to finish the crossguard on the beskad and then paint it. I am also going to weather my soft parts a little bit. Not too much, but enough to give it character. The main issue has been with the gauntlets, as because my arms are so thin it has been difficult getting the sizing and shaping right. Shaping in general has been tough as while the Plas-tex is very bendable, it has trouble holding the shape, hence while I am considering alternative attachment methods. All in all, I am still having fun with this.

Thanks vods!
Mik'ika

P.S: I will be posting pictures of some of my soft parts tomorrow.

« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2019, 02:11 AM »
I'd honestly just go with sintra if you're having trouble with the material you're using now. Amazon has 4x4 boards for like $30 and a heat gun is around $20.

« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Hey Vods!

When I originally started, I shopped around for sintra at the local hardware stores, but I could not find any. That is why I bought the Plas-Tex, as it was similar yet more accessible. I have been considering  getting different material for a little while now, I have just been trying to avoid that to keep costs down since I have another project in the works and some college expenses. Since it is only $30 a sheet, I might go through with it. How many sheets do you think I would need? Anyway, here are my soft parts:

This is my flight suit, sash, belt with pouch (thinking about changing the buckle), cape (my favorite), and my boots. I am going to lightly weather these soon and any advice would be great on how to do this.

Thanks Vods
Mik'ika

« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:45 PM »
I got ripped off and bought a 4x4 board of 6mm from a sign shop for like $75. As long as you don't mess up too much when you cut stuff out and get your templates right, a 2x4 board might be enough but this one here is only $17 so you could buy 2 if you thought you needed more.

White Sintra 24" X 48" X 3MM (0.118") Plastic Boards https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQC21GA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dX0yCbDCKA18S

« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Hey vods!

I would probably get two just to be on the safe side. Thanks for the info!
Quick update: My beskad is assembled and ready for paint. I will probably trim off any excess and apply some material between the gaps in the crossgaurd to act as support struts. These gaps are intentional, as I wanted it to look as if my mando had forged this weapon to be somewhat rudimentary and lethal, as opposed to beautiful and refined.

Stay tuned for my beskad's completion.
Thanks vods!
Mik'ika

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!