Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question Painting ESB armor using Montana

• 9 Replies

Ajoliveira

• Proud Member of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club
Painting ESB armor using Montana
« on: Aug 11, 2018, 08:51 AM »
Hi all, greetings, ;)

As the title says, has anyone painted ESB armor using Montana cans?

Ty in advance and a nice weekend,

AJ

KOVA #0022 | M.A.R.S #52 | M.V.S #52

JasterRaiak

• We are born to die. We live to be remembered
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: Painting ESB armor using Montana
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2018, 11:15 PM »
Hi all, greetings, ;)

As the title says, has anyone painted ESB armor using Montana cans?

Ty in advance and a nice weekend,

AJ

I'm using a combination of Rustoleim and Krylon Rattle cans but not Montana. I don't think I have that brand here (Washington, USA)

OM# 1536
B.E.A.R.D.# 144

Rubie's Boba 3-piece Conversion Tutorial:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=137776.0

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful, history is violent.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2018, 11:22 PM »
I'm not sure of the available colors with Montana.

Usually folks stay within the Model Master/Testor, Tamiya, or Humbrol range.

First Kit WIP

Protector Build

ESB Boba Fett

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 ||

Sea_Marshall

• Murdoch, Captain of the Osprey VT-49 Decimator
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2018, 01:17 PM »
I took a quick look at the https://www.montana-cans.com/en/spray-cans/ inventory and it doesn't look like you'll be able to do the whole kit, or even match the colors, with that paint range. I would advise against rattle cans in general as the colors are often mixed to match accuracy, especially on the helmet. The humrol or testors range will be a better choice, but you may have to purchase online, and they're airbrush colors in acrylic or enamel, with some rattle can options.

The advice against rattle can's comes from my own personal experience. I did cans and ended up sanding it all off and bought a $30 airbrush and compressor (~$50) from Amazon and went the humbrol (enamel) route. But I hear testors is another great choice. Regarding color accuracy and costuming, I've started to ask myself, "What audience do I want to impress?" Rattle cans will work but if you're going to invest time and money into a quality Boba Fett, don't cut corners on paint. The Montana stuff looks nice but I'd choose Rustoleum/Krylon/Humbrol if you're going to do rattle cans. My conclusion is the paint range on rattle cans isn't wide enough.

Good luck on your build, no matter your route.

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2018, 01:20 PM by Sea_Marshall » Logged

Ajoliveira

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2018, 03:19 PM »
Hi all, so sorry for the late reply :-X

Ty so much for all the kind replies  ;)

I got few paints at home, here are some pics:

Later I found out that this could do it  :) but TBH, I'm not sure if I have the skills to paint a ESB, even if it could be "easier" with Rafaels Stencils... At least for know, I think Im out of confidence :-X The weathring part... And I will need to buy airbrush + compressor...
One option that I have been thinking lately is ask to Daz (Bobamaker) if he could paint my armor. Not sure if he works this way, but, uh, only asking him I will find out  :laugh:

If not, well, airbrush and compressor will be bought... Alongside with more of this paints, since will not serve to paint all the armor  :-\

Ty so much, regards, cheers,

AJ

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2018, 03:36 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Sea_Marshall

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2018, 04:57 PM »
You're on the right path. Start with the chest armor and build a selection of screen references. Just take one plate at a time and note that the right chest plate is darker and doesn't have yellow weathering. You'll be okay! Helps to read other peoples build threads for guidance on where/how to start. My kit was my first paint up and I understand the challenge you're about to undertake. It's okay to mess up and the paint is more forgiving that you think.

Ajoliveira

« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2018, 06:21 PM »
Hi all, so sorry for the late reply  :-X

Well, to be honest, last couple of days been emailing BM and honestly I think I will give him my armor to paint...

Now I take this opportunity to ask about capes, one of my biggest concerns atm...
Been wondering about MoW vs Woodman... Saw that people have problems weathring MoW capes...  Not sure if the "economic" version or the "limited" edition...
Does anyone have experience on this matter?

Ty in advance and a nice week to all

AJ

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful, history is violent.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2018, 12:26 AM »
By weathering the cape do you mean the rips and tatters? There really isn't any any other weathering. The Cape is actually clean itself.

First Kit WIP

Protector Build

ESB Boba Fett

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 ||

Sea_Marshall

« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2018, 10:44 AM »
I have the MoW cape but I didn't use it. MoW has the orange stripe sewn into the fabric and its a cotton/pillow case type fabric that I'm not too keen on. I don't like the stripe being sewn in, personally. It should weather fine, but I didn't get that far, saved it as a backup or spare. The limited wool version looks nice, but the weathering of wool is totally different. There's mixed reviews, but if you like it, you're good. Not familiar with Woodman's cape but he's a well known source on The Dented Helmet.

If you're still shopping around, you could consider making your own cape. I purchased a few yards of khaki canvas material and masked/spray painted the strip directly onto the fabric.

To echo the weathering, yes, it's only tattered and lightly frayed, no paint/scorch marks etc. However, in true MMCC fashion, I weathered my cape with burn marks, particularly near the jetpack area, just because I wanted even weathering across the suit, although not screen accurate. My next cape will feature no paint and just the light tatters to get that screen accurate look.

Ajoliveira

« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2018, 04:29 AM »
Hi all, how r u?  ;)

So sorry for the late reply...  :-X

Well, yes, some of the wips I saw, folks actually weathered heavy the cape... Added burn marks for example... Some capes I saw only ripped by knife (or similar)... Really simple thing, cutted  :laugh: :-\ :-X
If it's only ripped, using those stencils at THD, I would go for MoW cape  :-\

This days, been searching THD for paiting tutorials... I could send my armor to Daz, around 3k, helmet, JP and armor... I could save a LOT of money by painting myself... I am still thinking about this 2 options  :-\ :-X

Ty all for all the kind help and a nice week to all

Regards, cheers,
AJ

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!