Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Materials for helmet build

• 15 Replies

Vrax

• Go big or go home!
Materials for helmet build
« on: Aug 19, 2018, 10:24 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm new here and starting my first helmet. I've look on YouTube and seen several tutorials for making helmets from both EVA foam and resin casting. I haven't, however, seen one on making one from Sintra. I have access to a fair amount so was wanting to use something that i have easy access to, and was wondering if there was a reason that I wasn't seeing any helmets made this way. If there is, please let me know so I don't end up wasting a bunch, and if anybody HAS made one from Sintra, let me know how you did it, specifically the dome, please! Thanks

Never mind .. was able to find a thread on here about it already
https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94136.0

« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2018, 06:30 PM by Havelock » Logged
Meg cuyir jatne o'r oyay? at naastar gar aru'ese, at ja'hailir gar aru'ese eyaytir teh gar, bal at susulur te trikar be val riduur

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Materials for helmet build
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2018, 12:11 PM »
I made my first helmet out of home depot buckets, but you could do the same thing with sintra.  There's a link to my wip in my signature.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2018, 06:30 PM »
As part of my moderation duties I must request that you please avoid Double Posting in the forums.  This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

Double Posts - Please refrain from posting immediately after yourself, also known as 'double posting'.
If no one has replied use the "modify" button to update your post.
WIP threads and other similar threads that have new content being added are exempt from this rule, provided the posts have useful new posts being added.
In such exemptions, replies to multiple questions when attempting to catch up should still be combined into single posts.
Moderators will exercise their best judgement, if you feel an error was made please contact the Moderator Lead and Tech Officer via PM.

The posts have been combined.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Vrax

• Go big or go home!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2018, 09:41 AM »
Thanks Sep Ho'ban! And I well remember that, Havelock. Won't happen again.

Meg cuyir jatne o'r oyay? at naastar gar aru'ese, at ja'hailir gar aru'ese eyaytir teh gar, bal at susulur te trikar be val riduur

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2018, 05:17 PM »
No worries, vod.  Now let's see some more on that bucket!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Ko'rizna Falco

• Weapons are a part of my religion
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2018, 05:58 PM »
There is a vod in Rancor named Aazeron Kaze that has built his helmet out of sintra he is not yet OM so take it with a grain of salt. My biggest suggestion is patience with Sintra since it is flat I feel heating and molding it would be very difficult to get done correctly.

I as well am working on a home depot bucket build which is linked below too. I'm also not an OM yet but you can at least get an idea of how things might work out 

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2018, 04:53 AM »
Knowledge is across all membership levels. I was helping people build helmets for a good amount of time before I became OM.
I have made a helmet mostly out of sintra. Domes are considerably more difficult to make out of sintra than using a hard hat or a bike helmet as a base. That being said use 3mm for domes if you have it and 6mm with a 3mm outer shell so you can have that extra detail from the wizard of flight templates. Remember that the thickness you’re using matters as 6mm will come up a tad short if you forget to add in material thickness up to 2x the thickness of the material for 6mm that’s like 1/2 inch of extra you need to account for or be shortened. Same for 3mm but that ones a touch easier to account for.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:50 AM »
EVA foam is by far the best material for building a helmet

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:52 AM »
Eva isn't an approvable material in the MMCC. Over time it will wrinkle and generally doesn't hold up to the kind of trooping we do.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:46 AM »
Not for our purposes. It can’t hold up to the stress, Wear and tear we put our gear through.

QMU#084

Desago

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
  • Awards 200 troops 150 troops 267th Rapid Assault 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:15 AM »
I have seen scratch built buckets made from home depot buckets, paper and bondo, ABS, and even a modified Jango 2 piece helmets (this is always the budget friendly method), my personal helmet is fiberglass (it has survived a lot of abuse) .
I'm excited to see one made from Sintra and curious to see how well it holds up.

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."
L.O.B # 22 | M.A.J.I.C # 166 |M.A.D. # 72 | M.T.S (Mando-Tough) # 89 | S.P.A.R.C.K. # 19 | M.A.C.K # 37| O.O.P.S.! # 27

Bowfanny

« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:18 AM »
I have seen scratch built buckets made from home depot buckets, paper and bondo, ABS, and even a modified Jango 2 piece helmets (this is always the budget friendly method), my personal helmet is fiberglass (it has survived a lot of abuse) .
I'm excited to see one made from Sintra and curious to see how well it holds up.
I’ve seen sintra used more often than you’d imagine for helmets. In the last four years I’ve seen a dozen or more folks take on the challenge and succeed!

QMU#084

Arkham

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:22 AM »
I've gone the pepakura route for my helmets. I've been trying to design a 3D print helmet, but may also give the sintra route a go. Best to diversify, right?

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49

Desago

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
  • Awards 200 troops 150 troops 267th Rapid Assault 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:25 PM »
I’ve seen sintra used more often than you’d imagine for helmets. In the last four years I’ve seen a dozen or more folks take on the challenge and succeed!

I was informed by one of my Ruus'alors that both his helmets are made of Sintra, so I can check that off my list.

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."
L.O.B # 22 | M.A.J.I.C # 166 |M.A.D. # 72 | M.T.S (Mando-Tough) # 89 | S.P.A.R.C.K. # 19 | M.A.C.K # 37| O.O.P.S.! # 27

Bowfanny

« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:18 PM »
I've gone the pepakura route for my helmets. I've been trying to design a 3D print helmet, but may also give the sintra route a go. Best to diversify, right?
You have no idea! Do all the methods and people think you’re either freakin crazy or some kind of deity!

QMU#084

Havelock

« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:08 PM »

Please avoid Necroposting in the forums. This is against forum rules as documented HERE.

Necroposting - This is defined as replying/updating a topic that has been inactive for more than 30 days. This is only permitted when the post is relevant. Inquiries should be directed via PM instead.

Normally the post would be deleted, but since it has spurred additional discussion, it will remain.  In future, however, if you're not the originator of the post, please refrain from necroposting.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!