Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Questions about soft parts

• 19 Replies

Vrax

• Go big or go home!
Questions about soft parts
« on: Aug 22, 2018, 09:40 AM »
Hey guys, I got questions about the soft parts of the kit. So, the soft parts; flight suit (whether actual flight suit or coveralls), flak jacket, gloves, neck seal, belts, and boots. First question, the material that the flight suit, flak, and neck seal are made from, how similar do they have to be? I know that one of the common material that the flack and neck seal are made from is duck cloth, but I can't tell how much that is like the material of the flight suits and coveralls I've seen on Ebay and Amazon. Also, I'm thinking of using a balaclava with my neck seal, so does that have to made of the same material as the neck seal? I've already sorted the gloves (Tactical full fingered). For my boots, I"m thinking of some black leather hiking boots that go above my ankles (like something from Walmart). For the flak jacket, does it have to be completely enclosed, or can the sides be open with straps? After looking at the CLR's I'm thinking of doing a sash, loin cloth, and ammo belt. Does the loin cloth have to be the same material as the flak jacket? If not then what are acceptable materials for it? Can it have any graphics on it (i.e. a Mythosaur skull)? What versions of the skull are acceptable? What does a sash look like and what kind of material is acceptable for it?
I know that a lot of questions, but I appreciate all the help guys!

Meg cuyir jatne o'r oyay? at naastar gar aru'ese, at ja'hailir gar aru'ese eyaytir teh gar, bal at susulur te trikar be val riduur

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Questions about soft parts
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Hey guys, I got questions about the soft parts of the kit. So, the soft parts; flight suit (whether actual flight suit or coveralls), flak jacket, gloves, neck seal, belts, and boots. First question, the material that the flight suit, flak, and neck seal are made from, how similar do they have to be? I know that one of the common material that the flack and neck seal are made from is duck cloth, but I can't tell how much that is like the material of the flight suits and coveralls I've seen on Ebay and Amazon. Also, I'm thinking of using a balaclava with my neck seal, so does that have to made of the same material as the neck seal?

The flightsuit has to be made out of the same material as itself (you CAN have a 2 piece flight suit -- top and bottom must be same fabric.  Some people use compression gear, some people use scrubs.  If you use scrubs, get a second pair of pants to make the long sleeves, or use a contrasting fabric/material for the longer part of the sleeve -- double sleeved look)

The flak does not have to be the same material as flight suit.  Neck some people do "dickies" so you could use a different material from flak or flightsuit here.

Balaclava does not have to be same material as any of the above.

I've already sorted the gloves (Tactical full fingered). For my boots, I"m thinking of some black leather hiking boots that go above my ankles (like something from Walmart).

Just make sure any laces are covered by spats or armor, and that any logos are covered or removed.

For the flak jacket, does it have to be completely enclosed, or can the sides be open with straps?
There can be a 1-2 inch gap on the sides with straps.

After looking at the CRL's I'm thinking of doing a sash, loin cloth, and ammo belt. Does the loin cloth have to be the same material as the flak jacket? If not then what are acceptable materials for it? Can it have any graphics on it (i.e. a Mythosaur skull)? What versions of the skull are acceptable? What does a sash look like and what kind of material is acceptable for it?

Loin cloths need to be made of a "Substantial" (Duck cloth/canvas/ double layered fabric with interfacing material) material -- and need to be more than just a simple rectangle.

Sash's can be made of almost any unpatterned materail.  Mythosaur skulls can be on your sash, but any graphics on the sash are likely to be partially or completely obscured by your ammo belt.    A sash is a band of fabric that fills the space between the bottom of your ab plate and the top of your cod/loin cloth. 

Vrax

• Go big or go home!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Thank you! My question about the graphics was about the loin cloth though. Can I have alike a really big mythosaur skull on it? Would use a stencil and pain it on ... and as for not being a rectangle, would a triangle work? or make it a rectangle but make the bottom tattered? and how long does it have to be? At knees, above, below?

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2018, 10:20 AM by Vrax » Logged
Meg cuyir jatne o'r oyay? at naastar gar aru'ese, at ja'hailir gar aru'ese eyaytir teh gar, bal at susulur te trikar be val riduur

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2018, 10:21 AM »
Damn, I need to type faster.  Sep beat me to the punch.

If you need examples of what to do with a sash or loin cloth, check out the Finished Costume Galleries pages. There are quite a few to be found there.

Good luck, and good hunting!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Sorry for the misread there -- you can have a mythosaur skull on the loin cloth.   I'd stay away from tattered unless you plan for the rest of your kit to be HEAVILY weathered, since weathering has to be consistent across the entire kit.  It needs to be long enough to cover past the place where your pants split into 2 legs.   You want the edges to be finished (hemmed, etc.) not raw fabric edges.  And maybe go with a rectangle with chamfers on the bottom corners, or something along those lines?  You have some freedom here, but it needs to look well thought out, finished and functional.

I love you Straka!

Vrax

• Go big or go home!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2018, 10:38 AM »
Awesome! Thank you both! Have another question about something that just came to me, but not about soft parts. its abut the back plate. I know that its common to have a rocket launcher/jetpack on it or nothing. What about having a mando that was outfited some what for an aquatic environment. Air tank with hoses going to the bucket, maybe a small propeller lol. Or making a mando with a com unit on his back? Or does it have to be jetpack or nothing? Not including capes, ect.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2018, 11:00 AM »
If it's in Star Wars, it can be used... to a point.  Nothing that is specific to a Canon character (Vader's collar or shin armor, for example) can be used.

So, if you want to use a pack that looks like a SW set of scuba tanks, you can.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Vrax

• Go big or go home!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Was actually thinking of a small tank mounted horizontally behind the neck with hoses coming out of both ends to the bucket, connecting either to something like a regulator or connecting directly to the cheek area. However, I dont recall seeing anything like that in SW so I guess it doesn't matter.
Thanks!

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2018, 11:18 AM »
You can do that, it just needs to be modified from stock condition -- add greeblies, etc.  You might be better off making your tank out of pvc pipe and endcaps  though. (budget wise)  -- if you use tubing, make sure you can remove the brand/spec marking on it because if it's earth lettering, it can't be on the kit. 

If you look through the costume gallery Straka linked, you'll see some mercs with hoses, re-breathers, etc. on their helmets.  You can't just mount a stock scuba regulator to your bucket, cause it'll scream EARTH -- but you CAN make something that fits the Star Wars Aesthetic.

Straka Zulu

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2018, 11:24 AM »
Exactly. My apologies if I wasn't coming across clearly. 

Vrax

• Go big or go home!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2018, 11:34 AM »
No worries. 2 more questions ... the order of the ... layers(?) for the waist .. flightsuit (looking at a one piece), flack (stops at waist or just below), cod piece, loin cloth, sash, and ammo belt? And how does the loin cloth attach? to the cod piece directly or it has like its own belt or maybe to a thong holding it up or what? Yes I tend to get into details lol.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2018, 11:36 AM »
Generally speaking people don't do BOTH a cod piece and a loin cloth. 

Vest can tuck into the waist items or end just above them, just cannot extend past them
Sash goes over flightsuit, under ammo belt.  the top of the loin cloth, or Cod need to be under the sash. 

People who wear a cod piece either attach them to the flightsuit, or attach them to a separate belt that gets tucked under the sash, sometimes with a "Boba Tong" going from the bottom of the cod plate to the back of the cod belt.

Vrax

• Go big or go home!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2018, 12:26 PM »
Ok so if I do a loin, don't do a cod, and just to verify a loin cloth if both front and back, correct? and the order is flight suit, loin cloth, sash, ammo belt? also can the girth belt be done with paracord? or does it have to be leather or mohair?

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Loin cloth is just front.  You can do a "kama" if you want to covery your backside.   

If you do a girth belt, you don't need a sash, but it goes in the same layer position as a sash. It can be made out of paracord, twine, clothesline, mohair, leather, and probably some other things I haven't thought of :p

Vrax

• Go big or go home!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2018, 01:45 PM »
OK a kama .. do I have to wear a cod piece with that one since it does not cover the front? And do you know of a good tutorial for making a girth belt? I saw the one on the mercs youtube channel and it looks more like a review not a how to make video. I'm looking mainly for how to connect the strands at the 3 points on the belt (looks like middle and the 2 ends) and do you have to use buckles or can i just do a D ring and use Velcro to strap it on?

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2018, 07:10 PM »
kama is a totally optional piece.  You must have either a cod piece or a loin cloth, no matter what other options you choose.  The D-ring is acceptable. There cannot be ANY exposed velcro anywhere on your kit.

How to connect the strands -- hand sew, hot glue, adhesive of choice.

Vrax

• Go big or go home!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2018, 08:34 PM »
So a kama and a loin cloth is ok and the Velcro being hidden, is that as in so you can't tell it's Velcro or it doesn't matter if it's Velcro, it can be seen no matter what it looked like?

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #17 on: Aug 22, 2018, 08:40 PM »
We're very good at identifying velcro ;)   No visible velcro. Nylon and Leather straps are ok.

Vrax

• Go big or go home!
« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2018, 02:40 PM »
What about velcro on gloves? as in the velcro straps on the wrist? those ok?

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #19 on: Aug 23, 2018, 04:43 PM »
No visible Velcro. Tuck it into your gauntlets or be sure all the hooks and loops are covered. Also no visible skin other than fingertips. You can also use armor plates to cover things.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!