Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Show me Them Vest Designs

• 7 Replies
Show me Them Vest Designs
« on: Sep 10, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Hello Vod,
With me and a friend getting ready to fiberglass plates tomorrow I am thinking ti's about time to put a lot of effort into my vest design. This request is for drawing designs, WIP, and completed pictures detailing the various work, and projects done for your vests. This can include but is not limited to templates you used, hand drawn designs, and especially how you incorporated plate attachment and how your vest is put  on or off. My current plan on it being put on and taken off is based on Military plate carrier vests, they have a nylon strapping with buckles on the side of the ribcage which is covered by a flap kept down with velcro.

And before you say to, or link me to it I have already checked out and taken pointers from  "Point's Vest Pattern + Build tute *currently afflicted by the Photobucket Thing*" at (http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63411.0)

Thank you in advance my friends!!

Re: Show me Them Vest Designs
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2018, 02:46 PM »
if your on chrome add the extension to your browser

Mod Edit: Remove External Webtool Link

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2018, 09:10 AM by Hik'aari Kelborn » Logged

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2018, 03:59 PM »
I like to show people this retired member's vest. The way he designed it is really cool:

as i regret not working on it sooner, here is the flak vest i took forever and a half to make

There was a lot of detail work that went into it, not necessarily for looks, but for comfort and flexibility. this is probably the most flexible flak vest created lolol. it is also made out of 600den cordura balistic fabric...aka its pretty much never going to rip. this design came out perfect. the side flaps wrap around to the belly and zip with 3 flex points. the front shell folds down and links onto a couple more flex points on the side and there is a flex point in each shoulder. this gives it EXTREME mobility and holds to the body snug no matter what i am wearing under it

i will take a video of it to show the true flexibility.

here is a great look at my new design

ORI’RAMIKAD 2020 | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2018, 03:13 PM »
I like to show people this retired member's vest. The way he designed it is really cool:

Would you be able to send me some templates for that vest? It looks similar to a design I've been working on , but more complex and even better.

Tek Sa'an

• OM #1005 - QMU #007 - Vinyl'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Order of the Ori'Ramikad 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2018, 03:45 PM »
Sorry, I just quoted it. I have no templates for Whitecrow1's stuff. I think the picture and video might be all he has shown. You can search through his posts, but he's been inactive for a very long time.

The one I used has templates. It's from the Dented Helmet: https://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums/threads/flak-vest-tutorial-draft-your-own-pattern.3550/

You can see the finished version here: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=54884.0. I had to redo my shoulder parts because it was initially upside down or something weird. It got fixed. You can see the updates in the lower posts in that thread.

Hope that helps.

ORI’RAMIKAD 2020 | OM #1005 | QMU #007 | VINYL'ALOR | IG-85736
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2018, 05:34 PM »
Has anyone tried adapting an actual flak vest?  Like a paintball one?

Cabur Akaata Member #178; Oribru Akaata #46; Grey Brigade/OT Guard #73; (Veteran/ Fire/ EMS/ Old Guy)

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2018, 10:15 PM »
They typically have different coverage than our vests, and the work to modify is usually more substantial than it is to make a vest from scratch.

If your have enough armor coverage, it can work -- from the crls:
MOLLE/TAC and paintball style vests may still be used without any modification.
However, the armor must be of a canon or custom style that COMPLETELY covers the vest.

« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2018, 09:26 AM »
I can see that, it just seems more body hugging and supportive.  Maybe I can cover it with fabric and add fabric where needed?

Cabur Akaata Member #178; Oribru Akaata #46; Grey Brigade/OT Guard #73; (Veteran/ Fire/ EMS/ Old Guy)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!