Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Sabine Wren helmet with movable rangefinder

• 8 Replies
Sabine Wren helmet with movable rangefinder
« on: Sep 11, 2018, 04:12 AM »
Hello all,

Looking at getting a Sabine Wren helmet with an aluminum stalk & movable rangefinder for my costume (WIP). Any assistance appreciated.

In the hopes of upgrading it later with the wireless servo kit (  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=153955.0 ) if possible. Has anyone been able to do that before?

:sabine:

"This is gonna be fun. Very fun." ~Sabine Wren

Instagram | Season 4 Sabine Wren Armor WIP Thread

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
Re: Sabine Wren helmet with movable rangefinder
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2018, 05:59 AM »
Hello again anastasia, for a hollow range finder stalk, i got mine from syko voss  (simon phipps) in my clan (vok'chi clan) it comes in cold cast aluminium with a hollow metal tube down its centre and cost if i remember correctly about £15.00. Not sure how much it will be with shipping to u.a.e. but if you message him he's a lovely guy and should be able to hook you up.as for the helmet itself there are a few on the market i would suggest looking at as many sabine builds as you can until you see one you really like and the ask that merc for the vendor who made it as they all vary slightly. Also one of the sabine wip's in progress also mention a maker who sells stencils for the paint up . Hope this helps.  ;)

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2018, 04:52 PM »
Hello again anastasia, for a hollow range finder stalk, i got mine from syko voss  (simon phipps) in my clan (vok'chi clan) it comes in cold cast aluminium with a hollow metal tube down its centre and cost if i remember correctly about £15.00. Not sure how much it will be with shipping to u.a.e. but if you message him he's a lovely guy and should be able to hook you up.as for the helmet itself there are a few on the market i would suggest looking at as many sabine builds as you can until you see one you really like and the ask that merc for the vendor who made it as they all vary slightly. Also one of the sabine wip's in progress also mention a maker who sells stencils for the paint up . Hope this helps.  ;)

Hello again!! Thank you for the response. Indeed,  it helps. I have looked around at various options for the helmet,  there’s quite a few out there. Would prefer one with a stalk than can be removed during transport/storage (to avid breaking it by accident when not in use), which does narrow my helmet options down somewhat. Aluminum or metal preferred especially since I’m looking at making It move wirelessly at some point, if it’s even possible with the Sabine helmet. I will message Simon Phipps as you suggested. Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

~Anastasia

LightningLion

• Electronics are my thing
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2018, 02:54 AM »
If you want an screen accurate rangefinder, those used by Bo Katan and Sabine Wren doesn't have remote control for the it as the Fett helmets. Instead, they hold it down with their hand, and return to vertical position when they let it go. So you could use a spring, or a servo with a very simple programming (although you might hear an annoying continuous noise from the servo).

Lion's electronics corner

Rionu Custom Electronics for your Mandos
--->> Sales thread

WIP's: Post-Imperial costume. Nite Owl helmet.

Mundo Airsofter - Airsoft news & reviews
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2018, 08:21 AM »
If you want an screen accurate rangefinder, those used by Bo Katan and Sabine Wren doesn't have remote control for the it as the Fett helmets. Instead, they hold it down with their hand, and return to vertical position when they let it go. So you could use a spring, or a servo with a very simple programming (although you might hear an annoying continuous noise from the servo).

D’oh! Of course those don’t move via remote control. *facepalm* got a bit carried away there. Heh.  Yes indeed looking for screen accurate. Am in the middle of a Rebels re-watch to ensure accuracy.

Either spring or servo can be problematic, or fiddly, no? I haven’t had the experience with these things, so not sure which one would work best and how much maintenance they require. I’m quite hands on with tech (not when it comes to costumes, but I’m sure it can be adapted) , not an issue fiddling with stuff and getting it fixed when necessary, I am just curious about how long these would last with the heat / temperatures we experience down in UAE and what kind of maintenance it would require.

LightningLion

« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2018, 09:54 AM »
A decent quality servo with metal shaft should work without much trouble. For maintenance, prepare a way to moun/unmount it instead of just glueing it.
The thing about servos, it's that you could continuously command them to go to vertical position. With your hand you'd be able to do more force than the servo, and once released it would be free to return to the verticality.

The mechanical alternative would be (this is an idea I had but never tried) a clock spring:

--->> Sales thread

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2018, 02:33 AM »
A decent quality servo with metal shaft should work without much trouble. For maintenance, prepare a way to moun/unmount it instead of just glueing it.
The thing about servos, it's that you could continuously command them to go to vertical position. With your hand you'd be able to do more force than the servo, and once released it would be free to return to the verticality.

The mechanical alternative would be (this is an idea I had but never tried) a clock spring:

Our Boba Fett has the rangefinder that can be removed for transport/storage/maintenance, I'm looking to do something similar with mine to avoid any potential breakage during transport situations.

I'll look into the servos, thanks for the tips. Clock spring also sounds like an option. Will have to see what's available out here and what would be more viable for my case.

LightningLion

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2018, 04:14 AM »
Our Boba Fett has the rangefinder that can be removed for transport/storage/maintenance, I'm looking to do something similar with mine to avoid any potential breakage during transport situations.

I meant removing the servo from the inside of the helmet (that's why they have holes for screws), because some people just glue them. Rangefinder stalk should obviously dettachable by design. otherwise there would be no way to move or mount it.

--->> Sales thread

« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2018, 04:22 AM »
Ah. Whoops. That’s what I get for browsing threads before my morning coffee. 😳 

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!