Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Aytella Zykiss WIP

• 23 Replies
Aytella Zykiss WIP
« on: Sep 15, 2018, 11:46 PM »
Here is my finished concept for my kit.

I'm using a Bo Katan pepakura file for my bucket as a base and I'll be starting on that tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have more pictures soon! Any feedback, ideas, or advice on how to proceed with the rest of my kit would be greatly appreciated!

Desago

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
  • Awards 200 troops 150 troops 267th Rapid Assault 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
Re: Aytella Zykiss WIP
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2018, 01:58 AM »
I like it. We have a couple of people in Cerar who have gone the prep route and scratch built their own buckets.
Can't wait to see this develop.

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."
L.O.B # 22 | M.A.J.I.C # 166 |M.A.D. # 72 | M.T.S (Mando-Tough) # 89 | S.P.A.R.C.K. # 19 | M.A.C.K # 37| O.O.P.S.! # 27

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2018, 10:54 AM »
Great ideas here! Feel free to reach out to any of the clan for help as you hit roadblocks

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2018, 04:51 PM »
There's a bunchaton of great stuff in the brand-new Royal War College of Mandalore.  All kinds of tutorials, guides, and visual references.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Veris Bralor

• Awards Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more
« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2018, 10:47 PM »
Great colors :), the only advice I have this early is to post a lot of pictures to get detailed feedback, and two, work inside out as the soft parts (vest/flight suit) can dictate the shape of your plates, even though the armor is more fun.

« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2018, 07:15 PM »
Just a quick update on where I'm at!

I'm trying to work on my bucket a little bit everyday, but since this is my first time working with pepakura there's a bit of a learning curve  :laugh:, but I think it's turning out pretty nice! I've also found a heavy duty bodysuit for my flight suit and I'm currently drafting a pattern for my flak vest using Point's tutorial.
And I found this old Hasbro blaster at a local thrift store and thought I could tinker around with it on the side.

« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2018, 12:58 PM by osukaru » Logged

Stinkape

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:35 PM »
No answers ?

I'd fill the holes and add some goodies see what you can come up with .. Great find

Remember your start, and seek your future !

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2018, 09:07 PM »
Not much to do to that blaster, aside from sanding off the labels and filling screw holes. After that, a fresh coat of paint, some weathering...

Really like the concept and color scheme.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

J'Khara Vontess

• Ever heard of shock and awe? You're looking at it
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Special Operations Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2018, 04:07 PM »
I agree with Straka, love the concept by the way. Can't wait to see it come along!

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2018, 02:26 PM »
I love that concept! I also agree with Straka, screw  holes are the bane of my existence.  :) Can't wait to see this come together.

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186
Q.M.U. #92 <-Hey, it rhymes!
House Nelvaan Armored Squirrel #10

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2018, 03:48 PM »
That's a fantastic concept. The mix of those different shades of blue is stunning.
I also like your design for your different plates. It's unique but a great composition at the same time. I'm really looking forward to your build an will be following with great interest.

How much can you see with your helmet?  For me the horizontal part seems really thin, but as long as you can see enough this souldn't be a problem. If seeing is a problem you could open up the part a little bit.

« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2018, 06:29 PM »
That's a fantastic concept. The mix of those different shades of blue is stunning.
I also like your design for your different plates. It's unique but a great composition at the same time. I'm really looking forward to your build an will be following with great interest.

How much can you see with your helmet?  For me the horizontal part seems really thin, but as long as you can see enough this souldn't be a problem. If seeing is a problem you could open up the part a little bit.

I can actually see surprisingly well. I did open up the horizontal part a little before I tried it on, but even then I wasn't expecting to see that well. I'm finishing up painting right now so hopefully I'll have a lot of pictures to post tomorrow!  :D

And thank you to everyone for the compliments and advice. I haven't been able to update as much as I want to, but I still really appreciate the feedback!

« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Paint update! (pic heavy)

Pre black wash

Post black wash

Next up is matte clear coat and installing the range finder, visor, and padding.
On the topic of padding does anyone have suggestions on what kind of padding I should use and where I could buy some?

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:59 AM »
Very nice work!

For padding, many local guys grab one of those airsoft helmet kits or just upholstery foam. I personally recommend putting padding on the temples and cheeks. Those areas will contact the most and give the most stability and comfort.

I found both on Amazon, or the upholstery can be found at any michaels/Hobby Lobby

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

J'Khara Vontess

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Special Operations Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2018, 12:03 AM »
Your bucket looks so cool! As for padding, I used upholstery seat foam. It is easy to cut to fit it in all the places inside your helmet that you might need it. For example, I needed padding on my cheeks so the helmet didn't wobble on me.

« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2019, 09:22 PM »
Finally been able to seriously work on my kit and make actual progress!
I finished putting together my vest and am almost done with my girth belt, they just need a few minor adjustments and they're good to go for weathering. Should be able to start drafting my plates this week and maybe get them cut as well.

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2019, 08:03 PM by Aytella Zykiss » Logged
« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2019, 04:16 PM »
It's been a minute, but I've finally got some work done on my plates since the weather cleared up.

Now I'm working on getting everything secured on my vest and shaping my back plates.

J'Khara Vontess

« Reply #17 on: Jun 30, 2019, 11:06 AM »
Really looks good! I would love to see the mock up of the plates on you to make sure they fit. Great work so far!

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Jun 30, 2019, 12:08 PM »
Is no one going to mention the bloodstains on the bottom left of frame?

No one? ... Just me....

:laugh: :laugh:

Love the work you have on that paint and weathering, vod!

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

rubyred

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #19 on: Jul 04, 2019, 04:03 AM »
this looks amazing! the color scheme is so pretty! :porg2:

Desago

• Keep your wits sharp, and your blade sharper.
  • Awards 200 troops 150 troops 267th Rapid Assault 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Chicago
« Reply #20 on: Jul 05, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Is no one going to mention the bloodstains on the bottom left of frame?

No one? ... Just me....

:laugh: :laugh:

Love the work you have on that paint and weathering, vod!

I think as long as it was a legitimate bounty and the proper forms were filed (Imperial Form 10927c and 27d "bounty received personal injuries during capture, while trying to evade capture"), we aren't allowed to mention it.

Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya. - "Train your sons to be strong but your daughters to be stronger."
L.O.B # 22 | M.A.J.I.C # 166 |M.A.D. # 72 | M.T.S (Mando-Tough) # 89 | S.P.A.R.C.K. # 19 | M.A.C.K # 37| O.O.P.S.! # 27

Straka Zulu

« Reply #21 on: Jul 06, 2019, 10:43 AM »
I think as long as it was a legitimate bounty and the proper forms were filed (Imperial Form 10927c and 27d "bounty received personal injuries during capture, while trying to evade capture"), we aren't allowed to mention it.
Fair enough.  :laugh:

« Reply #22 on: Aug 20, 2019, 04:34 PM »
Back plates are now cut, shaped, and painted!

Also, the first round of pictures of me in kit!

Still got a ways to go, but I'm pretty happy so far!

Bryn Cin'Prudii

« Reply #23 on: Aug 21, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Looking great!

Some feedback from me:
You will want to do some additional shaping to your chest plates, namely near the top to better come into your upper chest.
Get a balaclava so we don't see "neck meat" in the side pictures
Do some shaping on your shoulders to open them up a bit more, they look a bit narrow for your frame.
Do some white/grey weathering to your black soft parts (flight suit, vest, boots mainly) to make those match your plate damage.

overall, you are super close. I love where this build has gone. I hope to see you in person sometime for pre-app pics :)

Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!