Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Adenn Buurenaar WIP (Picture Heavy)

• 16 Replies

Slav1

Adenn Buurenaar WIP (Picture Heavy)
« on: Aug 17, 2018, 10:05 PM »
From start, through mk.1 to current mk.4 armour and helmet.

Update 09/06/2019 Added a photo from last con I went to to show how the armour currently looks. I need to adjust my flak vest and well as lower the straps holding my holsters on my belt so I can have the ammo pouches on the belt without interference. As well I have yet to weather my soft goods, will be doing that as soon as My flak vest has been adjusted to the regulations. I also noticed the ab plates stick outwards more then they did before. As such I've decided to add some leather straps behind the plates so they better conform to my stomach and will make the kit a lot more presentable then it is currently. Thoughts on spacing and overall kit would be appreciated and welcome.

Update 08/31/2019 Done a lot of work since my last update, started a leather ammo belt and a set of holsters for my pistols. Reworked the breast plates so there is one solid piece with trauma plates over top rather then two separate plates like I had before. Started my lower plates and they are just about ready for final assembly and paint, hopefully should have those done soon. And lastly I have noticed my ab plates protrude forward while I'm wearing them so I have prepped and waterproofed some leather straps to give them more movement and hopefully prevent that issue from happening again.

Update 03/11/2018 Re-riveted the spacer plate to sit under the collar and breast plates. Painted the collar and spacer plate, unfortunatly have had a snag when clear coating, will need to sand and repaint once winter is over.

Update 17/09/2018 Riveted spacer plate to existing chest and collar plates. It looks to be correct now but I wouldn't mind confirmation, I'd hate to pop the rivets again.

Update 09/09/2018 cut out a spacer plate 5 cm in height to raise the collar plate to proper position.

« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2019, 08:19 PM by Slav1 » Logged

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Adenn Buurenaar WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2018, 06:42 AM »
Really like the etching your doing, must have taken an age.

From a personal perspective I'd add a but of grime to differentiate the plates and soft parts, black has a habit of visually blending things together unless weathered .
Maybe add in some leather work for belts and pouches in your midsection, break up the big black gap in the middle.

What are your future thoughts on where you want to go and do with the kit, is it doing to have a theme, its it blasters only or are you going to get a melee weapon to go with your heavy armoured torso and shoulders, that kinda thing.   

Slav1

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2018, 08:04 AM »
I've been told my collar plate sits a bit too low so I need to rectify that first. I have a general idea of how I want my kit to progress, I'm aiming for gunslinger brigade status after I get OM status. I need to put together a sash of some kind and find a half decent belt to put my ammo pouches on, that should help with the "big black patch" that you mentioned. I have another blaster pistol which I don't have a picture of at the moment but its the Shae Visla blaster from TOR, in addition to that I also have a vibro knife I've been working on (pictures will be attached). I also have more weathering to do for my gantlets and lower plates, I'll be doing some reading on weathering techniques and if everything works out I'll have my app pics in for october.

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2018, 08:56 AM »
With the amount of armour you have , have you thought of heavy melee or heavy assault, the chest and shoulders really do kinda scream "I can take punishment" ;D

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Solid quality build! Biggest thing is to keep in mind is consistent weathering all around, from the armor to the soft parts. Doesn't need to be A LOT of weathering, but if your armor is slightly roughed up, the soft parts will need to be as well. Can't wait to see it ready for app!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Slav1

« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2018, 12:12 PM »
With the amount of armour you have , have you thought of heavy melee or heavy assault, the chest and shoulders really do kinda scream "I can take punishment" ;D

I was kinda picturing myself as a cowboy from the wild west, gunslinger sounded like the most appropriate brigade based off that but i have thought about making a second kit but with reversed colour scheme for a different brigade.

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2018, 01:06 PM »
Your armor is awesome vod!

Slav1

« Reply #7 on: Aug 20, 2018, 05:26 PM »
Your armor is awesome vod!

Thank you kindly. I'm quite happy with it thus far.

Dha'werd

• Dha'werd Oya'karir
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2018, 11:36 AM »
Incredible progress vod, I like the concept, waiting to see everything finished. ;D

good luck :like:

regards

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Really impressive, vod!  Love the etching and the color scheme.  Could use a bit of weathering, but otherwise, an awesome build.  :like:

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2018, 04:04 PM »
Really impressive, vod!  Love the etching and the color scheme.  Could use a bit of weathering, but otherwise, an awesome build.  :like:

I would agree with this. That etching is pretty topnotch. Some dedication right there for sure haha I am really liking what you did with the visor section. I think the new cutouts you made really make it seem like a transition bucket between the modern era standard T-visor and the more V-visor shape from the Hondo Karr legacy mandos. If you plan on going for the gunslinger brigade and picture yourself as a cowboy from the wild west, I would suggest shifting your thigh plates/holsters more to the sides of your legs like how the Death Watch Mando thigh plates are so you can get that draw from your hip vibe/feel to shoot forward quickly instead of drawing from your front and then having to readjust your aim due to where your draw is from.

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

Slav1

« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2018, 06:11 PM »
If you plan on going for the gunslinger brigade and picture yourself as a cowboy from the wild west, I would suggest shifting your thigh plates/holsters more to the sides of your legs like how the Death Watch Mando thigh plates are so you can get that draw from your hip vibe/feel to shoot forward quickly instead of drawing from your front and then having to readjust your aim due to where your draw is from.

That is where the problem lies. As far as I'm aware holsters for gunslingers have to be made of leather/pleather in order to gain admittance into the brigade. I plan on remaking the thigh plates sans holsters and having a set of leather ones that drop down from my ammo belt to the sides of my thighs.

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2018, 11:38 AM »
Great work Vod! Will follow this with interest

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2018, 04:58 PM »
Good work thus far, I’m not seeing Knee armor, and your thigh armor seems quite long to accommodate those holster parts.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Slav1

« Reply #14 on: Aug 28, 2018, 05:05 PM »
Good work thus far, I’m not seeing Knee armor, and your thigh armor seems quite long to accommodate those holster parts.

My shin plates go from my knees down to about my ankles, I had to rework them and am in the process of repainting them as we speak. I wanted the barels to be covered while in the holsters, thats why the thighs are so long, I hope adding leather holsters will aid in fixing that.

Obey Wann

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2018, 01:05 PM »
This is a fascinating build! I love the etching and other details. I also love what you did with the bucket. My Stalker is paid for, just waiting on getting it. I might have to consider how you did the cutouts.

I love the Stalker, but I also love the idea of some personalization. Very nice!

Also, here is a trick that I learned from a Darth Vader helmet maker... in order to break up the black, have you considered adding slightly off-black sections/paint to break things up a bit? I love the silver outlines, but maybe some dark gunmetal could really help differentiate the armor from the flight suit.

As a photographer, I've found that all black kits (TIE Pilots, Vader, TXs, etc.) can be tough to shoot unless lit very well, simply because of thee black-on-black.

Just something to consider. But I love your build, and I'd love to see more pics -- front and especially on the back side of your parts. Very good looking build, and following with great interest!

MMCC #2223 B.O.M.B. #107

Gatorlorian

• Loyalty above all else. #OhLookAProject
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Re: Adenn Buurenaar WIP (Picture Heavy)
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2018, 03:11 AM »
From start, through mk.1 to current mk.2 armour and helmet.

Update 17/09/2018 Riveted spacer plate to existing chest and collar plates. It looks to be correct now but I wouldn't mind confirmation, I'd hate to pop the rivets again.

Update 09/09/2018 cut out a spacer plate 5 cm in height to raise the collar plate to proper position.

Dig the kit overall dude. Flows very well from top to bottom. Just seeing the chest armor definitely does not do the overall kit any justice. Definitely wanna get your shnees (and maybe the rest of the kit) some color to make them be more visible in pictures and as others have said, dirty it up a bit to get rid of that clean/shiny look. And don't forget your weathering on your soft parts. With them being so dark, weathering needs to be easily recognized for pics. I've had good luck misting brown paint at a distance to give the dirty effect on mine.
Definitely looking forward to seeing this one finished.
Gator

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!