Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First WIP Looking For Opinions

• 101 Replies

AUSfrostbite

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Special Operations Brigade Member
First WIP Looking For Opinions
« on: Sep 26, 2018, 07:14 AM »
Hi All,

The first parts of my kit have arrived with the flight suit, helmet and gauntlets. I think the sizing for the helmet has turned out well, I do have some questions with the gauntlets which were 3D printed and need a little further finishing. For those with more experience with 3D printed parts would the left over lines be resolved with a little spray filler and primer? I am open to any suggestions on how to properly finish them.

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2018, 07:23 AM by AUSfrostbite » Logged

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: First WIP Looking For Opinions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2018, 07:42 AM »
The first pic is kinda hard to tell, the backlighting puts most of you in shadow. The size of the helmet looks good, though.  :like:   The flat parts of the gauntlets might need a little more sanding or filler to even them out.   April Storm Death Watch ones, correct? 

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

AUSfrostbite

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2018, 07:52 AM »
Apologies for the lighting on the first picture, the gauntlets are indeed from AprilStorm. The build quality is good but need a little more finishing.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2018, 07:59 AM »
I'm working on a set of her Sabine S3 gauntlets, and one of her phone holder designs.  Bought the files, just need to find a decent 3-d printing place.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2018, 08:06 AM »
This is my first experience with 3D printed parts, they do require more effort to finish but look to be rewarding. The Sabine gauntlets look great, I hope they come out well

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2018, 11:02 AM »
I have the same gauntlets and this will be your best friend! Really easy stuff to work with. 

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2018, 01:06 PM »
I recommend sanding with a fine grit, and then going over the lines with spot filler and then sanding. After that, I recommend spraying with filler primer. You may need to hit certain spots again, it will take some time. You can do it!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

rlobrecht

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2018, 02:41 PM »
Pop onto Youtube and search for "How to finish 3d printed mandalorian aprilstorm gauntlets".  She has some great recommendations.

Kotep Dral | Arqet Clan | MMCC #2677 | The OT Guard #63 | B.O.M.B #96

Helmet build - SWJFH-A7R pepakura | Soft parts WIP | Armor WIP | Sniper upgrades

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2018, 03:27 AM »
I have completed preparing my first gauntlet with a combination of wood filler, primer and filler spray and lots of sanding. I'm surprised with how well it has turned out, What do you think of the result?

Bryn Cin'Prudii

• ~What killed the dinosaurs? THE ICE AGE!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Airmobile brigade member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Special Weapons EnviroOps
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2018, 10:51 AM »
Gauntlets look much better now dude!

Cerar Clan OM#1935 Tri-Division Brigade Member#262
Apply to Brigades here!
New Item Approval

Fenn Beviin

• MMCC #: 2116
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2018, 11:07 PM »
Gauntlets look much better now dude!

Agreed. Looking good! Also, you better get used to sanding lol you are going be to doing a ton of it and there is generally no escaping it

"Try not to become a man of success, but a man of value."

Instagram: mythos_fenn_shysa

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Fenn Shysa WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80765.0

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2018, 02:34 AM »
I have to agree that sanding is something that cannot ever be skipped. After 3 days of putty, sanding, primer then repeat, i'm happy with the results. I have applied a metallic base coat ready for weathering using masking fluid. I plan to use a black spray next before I add the primary colour (dark blue).

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2018, 10:23 AM »
I have to agree that sanding is something that cannot ever be skipped. After 3 days of putty, sanding, primer then repeat, i'm happy with the results. I have applied a metallic base coat ready for weathering using masking fluid. I plan to use a black spray next before I add the primary colour (dark blue).

Sounds great. That is the same process I used for my armor as well though I also added a dark grey coat between the silver and black. That gives the armor more of an old scraped look with the grey and new scrapes with the silver. The black just helps to highlight the damage. I use toothpaste instead of masking fluid generally but a good tip with removing the masking fluid to get uneven realistic edges on the damage is to lightly sand it off instead of just peeling it off. Peeling it off typically leaves super smooth edges that don't really end up looking like scrapes/cuts/etc.

Mythos Fenn Arms (A Sales Thread): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=174182.msg2066382#new

Blaster Addiction - So many Blasters: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=110659.msg1820500

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #13 on: Oct 01, 2018, 04:31 AM »
I have finished the helmet, a lot of hard  lessons learnt along the way, the large bit of damage on the top right was not intentional, i went with it though.

I'm thinking of using a light black wash to dull the shininess of the metal, any recommendations?

Gauntlets now painted:

I definitely need to think of a way to dull down the shininess of the metal

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2018, 05:36 PM by Havelock » Logged
« Reply #14 on: Oct 01, 2018, 06:06 AM »
Matte clear coat may do what you want, a black wash may help bring out any details

Icav Ribe

• Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 01, 2018, 06:11 AM »
Ink washes are your friend. If you don't mind paying a premium the Citadel paints washes are amazing if you are looking for something to add a little weathering and depth. Good for accumulated crud looks in the places with sharp corners.

Nuln oil is the black wash and Agrax Earthshade is a darker brown style if you find that meets your aesthetic.

Vhett Manda (Iowa)
OM: #1547
V.O.T.S. #62
"Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum"

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #16 on: Oct 01, 2018, 06:46 AM »
Thank you for the input, I actually do already have both Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade from my model painting days. I sold all my armies a while back but I kept the paints, I will give them a try.

I will definitely need a  few layers of clear coat as the paint is currently very easy to chip. I was thinking of the Rust-Oleum 2x, is there a better recommendation?

« Reply #17 on: Oct 01, 2018, 06:56 AM »
With the chipping , how far back is it chipping? Back to plastic?
Was the rustoleum 2x your clear coat or blue that you used?
What was the temp like when you sprayed?

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #18 on: Oct 01, 2018, 07:05 AM »
The colour layers did not bond so well with the base metal coat, thankfully this made weathering easy but i want to avoid any more unnecessary chipping. It was a warm day here so the paint was drying quickly. I have not applied any clear coat yet so i'm hoping this will fix the issue.   

« Reply #19 on: Oct 01, 2018, 07:15 AM »
Maybe a good clean, wipe off any oils or other crap that may affect the clear from biting into what's there
If you look at my work I like alot of weathering, dirty, stained and chipped....my approached may not suit you
I'd spray over the effected area, clean first, then spray., multi layers to help build details

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #20 on: Oct 01, 2018, 07:17 AM »
What clear coat brand would you recommend?

« Reply #21 on: Oct 01, 2018, 07:23 AM »
I've tried a white knight crystal clear....cheap Bunnings crap ( I'm an Aussie)  and rustoleum I think, both seemed to work fine.
A lot of people recommend sticking with the same brand, but I tend to experiment, don't care too much how it turns out.....if it turns to crap, the challenge of turning it into something may lead to skill building

AUSfrostbite

« Reply #22 on: Oct 01, 2018, 07:43 AM »
I'm an Aussie as well, looks like another trip to Bunnings this week for me. I agree that anything that goes wrong is just a chance to learn. This armour has already taught  me a lot, usually the hard way. The large chip in the top left of my helmet was where i learned the hard way that the paint can peel easily if not handled carefully. I ran with it, cleaned it up and its now part of the battle damage.

Thank you for your input, ill post my results later in the week.

Fenn Beviin

« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2018, 09:36 AM »
I'm an Aussie as well, looks like another trip to Bunnings this week for me. I agree that anything that goes wrong is just a chance to learn. This armour has already taught  me a lot, usually the hard way. The large chip in the top left of my helmet was where i learned the hard way that the paint can peel easily if not handled carefully. I ran with it, cleaned it up and its now part of the battle damage.

Thank you for your input, ill post my results later in the week.

Yeah you learn a lot just by going through the process of trying things out personally. It's part knowledge part trial and error really ha. If you don't like that giant chipped part on the side you can always just remask the damaged bits and coat it again, though not sure if you were planning that or were going to strip the bucket and try again. The former end result will give you a nice layered damaged look but will allow you to keep the damage that you think turned out well. Also, be careful with how thick you spray rustoleum. That could be your problem. If you stayed to long in 1 spot the paint won't stick or dry properly due to the vapors not being able to escape. They get trapped and then cause issues like the one you faced

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2018, 12:24 PM »
Well done so far! Those gaunts look much better! Can't wait to see it all together! Keep up the good work!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!