Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Orland Greene, v1.1.2 WIP

• 46 Replies
Orland Greene, v1.1.2 WIP
« on: Oct 04, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Oya Vode,

It's been a while since i signed up, a lot has changed but my build is firmly under way now! My concept thread can be found here for those of you that are interested. I already regaled everyone with the tedious real life circumstances that halted my build last time around in there so I won't repeat it here. But considering I have actually started building my kit and ordered the parts i need to get it all together I figured I should start making an actual WIP! So, the last time I posted my progress got up to here:

So, as you can tell, compared to the concept that loincloth (which i made from a recycled cape from my old kit) turned out way to big! I underestimated the size a fair bit! So I cut it down to size and sewed on a bit of faux fur trim to cover the fact i cut it down and lost the nice orange trim on the piece. i also thought it was a little wide so I sewed in some shallow folds to give it that nice accentuated animesque fold.

I'll still have to make and attach an armour plate to the loincloth to finish it off, but I don't want to do that until the rest of my plates are in so i can make sure it looks the correct size compared to the ab plate. For now, I'm working on a nice winter cape to add some much needed heat insulation gear to this Cold Climate kit. I also updated my concept with the new Loincloth shape and retooled the colour scheme a little. I figured for cold climates i should tone down the colours a little more towards white rather then the dark grey. I also figured I'd add a nod to my old clone Trooper RP character who'll be going underneath this armour. Having 1 green left eye is now reflected in the jaig eyes on the helmet. Let me know what you all think of this colour scheme vs the old concept guys!

« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2018, 12:25 AM by Orland Greene » Logged

Jennari

• "I am the best. Always was." - Jango Fett
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022
Re: Orland Greene, v1.1.2 WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2018, 12:47 AM »
Love it! Very, very nice!  :like:

« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Thanks Jennari! I'm hard at work finishing up my soft parts and eagerly waiting for my armour and helmet to ship. In the mean time, I have a quick update on something I have been working on over the weekend! I still need to remove the tag and add more fur lining but I figure I could get the basic idea across. Anyway!

The cloak is designed to be able to be adjusted so it can fit over my armour and has support traps to distribute the load over my backplate and shoulders to avoid it tugging on my plates. Let me know what you guys think!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2018, 11:21 AM »
So, over the weekend, I finished sowing up the fur trims. I'm still debating on whether or not to line the hem aswell on the cloak. But I did a test fitting of my soft parts so far. I think it works pretty well!

Jennari

« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Yup!  :like:

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2018, 11:00 PM »
Hey vod, coming along well so far! The only thing I would recommend is shortening the loincloth and reducing the width as well. Can't wait to see how it goes!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2018, 11:09 PM »
Hey everyone! got some more work done on my kit today, something really exciting happened as the armour set I purchased of another member arrived after I had been eagerly awaiting it all week! So while I have in fact completely redone the loincloth to be shorter, thinner and more square like it looked in the concept, I totally spaced on taking pictures of that progress because I was, obviously, distracted by the crowning piece of every kit finally being in my hands.

I have sanded it all, installed the keyslots and made a lip reinforced with solid pvc strip and bondo putty to both hold the visor and make sure the cheeks don't warp on me. It's already been primed and has the first layer of high gloss white on it. I'm not going to put a whole lot of weathering on this kit, I figure It will scrape up and ding on it's own as I wear it and natural wear will eventually work better then any weathering I can do by myself. I am patient!

So, here is the first look at it, my Buy'ce

Edit:

So i did some more work on the bucket. It's still clearly in the WIP stage but it's coming along!

« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2018, 03:29 AM by Orland Greene » Logged

Jennari

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2018, 03:53 AM »
Nice!

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2018, 10:48 PM »
Who's the helmet maker?  That looks awfully familiar...

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2018, 10:57 PM »
I bought the armour set and helmet second hand from another member here, there was a card for "The Armour Factory" in the box that everything arrived in. Checking their vendor threads in in the supply depot they make a Wren Classic helmet that pretty much matches this, so I assume that's where it's from!

Kol Varek

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2018, 11:02 PM »
I've seen their work recently and I'm liking what you have done with it, love the white and orange. Well done sir!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2018, 11:05 PM »
It looks good, vod.   Though I am partial to orange...

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2018, 11:15 PM »
Thanks Vode!

I have been doing some more work on it, fixed the orange overspray on the left cheek, put on the Jaig Eyes and weathered the orange stripes a bit, still have to finish up the ears and back of the helmet and I am waiting for my Antennae pieces to come in from demon dog studios to finish up my concept sketch but I figure progress is progress!

Jennari

« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Looking awesome!

Kol Varek

« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2018, 05:42 PM »
I like the decal look.

« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2018, 06:57 PM »
Thanks Jennari! I'm pretty pleased with it myself!

Thanks Kol, though those aren't decals they were painted on freehand with a pinstriping brush  ;)

Kol Varek

« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2018, 04:26 PM »
Wow, that's some really solid work. Well done!

Tier

• Sometimes I'm hungry, other times I'm asleep.
  • Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2018, 01:50 PM »
Following!

Mountain Ops #001 Beast Hunter #013 M.A.C.K. Daddy #002 Mando-Tough #037 B.E.A.R.D.S. #100
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2018, 03:14 AM »
Oya vode!

I need some advice, I have started fitting my plates onto my vest but I am having a little trouble placing the collarplate in the correct position. Now I usually see the comment that it needs to go as high as it can go, almost choking you. This would lead to the plate sitting like this:

Should I go this route it sits supremely uncomfortably and I would need to basically reshape the whole thing, It would no longer line up with my backplate or shoulder bells either if I do this (It is a premade armour set you see.)

Now I tried out the position it would sit in if I follow the shape the plate has. The result is that it sits like this:

It's far more comfortable, only needs minimal shaping to sit flush, lines up with all my other plates and all around looks better to (In my personal opinion). However, IS this second position high enough or do I absolutely need to make this first picture work somehow?

For reference, my armour set is the male clan Wren Set, and from the reference pictures it does seem like the second position is the way the plate is supposed to sit;

edit: It also seems like the plate spacing on the reference pictures is rather thighs, is this allowed or should i stick to the more standard rule of thumb for spacing?

« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2018, 03:32 AM by Orland Greene » Logged

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #19 on: Oct 26, 2018, 12:23 PM »
The curve of your collar plate needs to rest up at the base of your throat.  So you'll need to reshape the collar and probably trim a little to align it with the back plate.  You'll want to get all your shaping and placement done before you start trimming.  Additionally, if you're doing a custom mando with Clan Wren style plates, follow the custom CRLs for the spacing - so use the rule of thumb, 1/2 and inch to an inch for your spacing.  If you're doing a Canon Clan Wren grunt, match the spacing from the reference images.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Kol Varek

« Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2018, 10:01 PM »
True what Havelock said. Also, while I'm taking a look, where is your belly button in reference with your vest? It looks like, at least from the photos, that your vest might be going below your belly button, and might be too long. I like that vest material btw, looks good!

« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2018, 05:29 AM »
My bellybutton is not a good point of reference I am afraid. It's hanging in a loose skin fold barely still on my stomach.  however the vest neatly tucks the top inch or so into my girth and does not come out underneath it. I am 6'4" tough and the last picture were taken at a slightly upward angle, so it looks even longer then it actually is.

« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2018, 05:33 AM by Orland Greene » Logged

Kol Varek

« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2018, 12:58 AM »
Ok, in that regard we'll have to see how long it is in reference to where the plates and waist items will sit. Not to worry,  just keep us in the loop with how everything's coming along! Can't wait to see the progress.

« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2018, 12:50 AM »
Hey guys! With Halloween come and gone here tonight, I figured it would be a good time to share a picture of the state of my kit so far.

Disclaimer:

since it was the end of a long night running around scaring people and I had to get my plates wearable in a rush, I used fabric glue spray to get most of the velcro attached and aligned on my flak vest before sowing it on. However I ran out of time to get my ab and collar plate sown up so as the night went on some of the velcro started coming loose and I tucked my ab plate into my girth belt (And pulled it up a fair bit) to at least keep on going without thing falling off. As a result there is some massive floating happening on the ab plate and the collar and the spacing of my plates has been thrown somewhat out of wack. But rest assured I wll sow everything down and get it all properly aligned again soon!

As for what is left to do:
  • I need a cool armour plate for my loincloth!
  • Shin, Calf and boot plates need to be attached to my Gamachen. They are not in this picture since I did not finish painting them in time!
  • My westar 35's have yet to come in. The guns shown here are cheap 6 dollar guns from the discount store we have here. They were not hole filled but they are still pretty cool so I'll put up a better picture of those to see if you guys think they are worth putting full effort in!
  • My Antennae for my bucket have yet to come in so those need to be added to.
  • Back and shoulder plates were not attached yet, I need to finish those but since the cape covered both spots it wasn't a big deal. I also have seperate shoulder guards for the back of the cape and shoulders of the cape I need to finish building and attaching,
  • My westar 35 Carbine Sniper Variant has to come in and get finished and of course my super secret project melee weapon needs to be build still.  :cookie:

Observations from my first 'troop': The cape is HEAVY the strap keeps riding up and choking me. I 'm thinking the best solution is to place some big shebs rare earth magnets under my collar plate and attach one to the buckle of the cape to keep it locked in place when It's on but not leave an obvious mounting point when the cape come of.

Even If i do fully sow the velcro holding  my plates into place. I Think I am going to place some heavy duty snaps in the centre of the plates to keep them pulled tight on the flak vest because the velcro when not compressed lifts the plate 2 to 3 mm of my vest and i think a nice heavy snap in the centre of the plate can fix a lot of these issues.

My bucket need a ventilation kit really bad, my visor fogged up a few times tonight and its not sitting straight on my head because i have a bunch of space in the cheeks I can still use. Probably gonna use a fish tank bubbler and use that to run some air hoses around the insides of my cheek to get fresh cool air in there to make the helmet more wearable. I also just ordered a voice amp and external microphones for in the ears so i can wear noise cancelling headphones. Hearing myself talk in the bucket is pretty deafening and outside people have trouble hearing me!

Anyway! Thoughts out of the way, time for the pictures!

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2018, 01:03 AM by Orland Greene » Logged

Straka Zulu

« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2018, 07:24 AM »
For putting it together in a rush, you look slick!  :like: :like:

For ventilation in the helmet, check TrooperTronix on Facebook, or look in the Continuous Sales page here on the forums. A number of sellers there make squirrel fan setups that can be run off of either 9v batteries or USB. Much better output than a tank bubbler.  ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!