Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Need suggestions for mounting armor plates directly to softparts (non-flak vest)

• 2 Replies

Arkham

• Formerly 'Arkhamf'
  • Awards Special Weapons 15+ clan level invasions
I could use some help figuring out how to mount plates directly to a flexible/fabric backing.

For a crusader era kit I am building some mid-riff/ab armor that will be a series of tall plates that need to look connected and wrap 90% of the way around my middle. This section will then have the chest armor section over the top edge of this mid-riff armor. I want it to still be fleixble and streamlined. I'm afraid using velcro would add to much thickness and not hold the plate securely enough.

This is the look I am going for:

Any thoughts on how I could accomplish this?

Arkham's WIP

Tra'cor Clan // MMCC #1852 // G.O.M.O.L # 032 // M.V.S #68 // O.O.P.S.! #52 // L.O.B #49

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
You should take a look at how Legacy kits use leather and nylon strapping -- there's a great tutorial here: https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=153467.0   -- in the war college.  you could use a similar technique with fabric , though you might want to include washers on the back side of the fabric to prevent tearing.

From what i have seen, that lower chest of Mandalore the ultimates with the horizontal strips is actually some kind of flexible fabric, possibly a leather body suit.  While you don't NEED a vest, you could make a leather vest incorporating those strips since he seems to wear a rigid fabric (leather) body glove rather then a flightsuit. that would make attachment a lot easier.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!