Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Build

• 2 Replies

Dak Varad

• Clan Varad, House Vizsla
First Build
« on: Oct 11, 2018, 04:50 PM »
Hey guys!

I ordered a bunch of armor pieces from The Mandalorian Arsenal quite a while ago, but do to college and other factors I have just now started real work on it. This is my chest plates painted with very light weathering. Advice and weathering tips appreciated, the goal is to eventually become an OM so any help getting to that quality would be great!

Thanks!
Dak

Dak Varad

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: First Build
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Well, my first piece of advice is to shape and trim your plates before you start painting.  We'll need to see them taped on you to really help you out.  Additionally, the CRLs state that "If a Boba or Jango Fett ab plate is being used, the height of the plate must be approximately 1/2 the measurement of the width."  It looks like  your ab plate will need a trim.

All that said, your paint job seems to be fine, but the question is:  "What kind of weathering are you wanting?"  Are you looking to do a lot of rust, or dirt, some physical damage maybe?  What look are you going for?

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 18

Dak Varad

• Clan Varad, House Vizsla
Re: First Build
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Well, my first piece of advice is to shape and trim your plates before you start painting.  We'll need to see them taped on you to really help you out.  Additionally, the CRLs state that "If a Boba or Jango Fett ab plate is being used, the height of the plate must be approximately 1/2 the measurement of the width."  It looks like  your ab plate will need a trim.

All that said, your paint job seems to be fine, but the question is:  "What kind of weathering are you wanting?"  Are you looking to do a lot of rust, or dirt, some physical damage maybe?  What look are you going for?

For weathering I simply just wanted scratches here and there like I have done already to show the armor has been used, but I don't particularly want rust or anything else like that. I want the armor to appear like it's been used before but is well taken care of between engagements. So stuff like dirt/rust has been cleaned off but things like scratches in the armor haven't been painted over.

As far as the ab plate the style I'm going for is the Clone Wars Deathwatch style of armor.

In this image the ab plate looks much taller than the Boba/Jango style plates and looks more like what I have pictured. Is this unacceptable for Official Member armor?
    Finally I will try to get some pictures done to show sizing but I will probably wait until I a flak vest I ordered from a forum member comes in. I painted my plates early because I was anxious to get a prototype build up for a Halloween party, even though I will likely have to go without a helmet.

Thanks!
Dak

Dak Varad

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!