Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Armor Conception - CUSTOM desert

• 10 Replies
First Armor Conception - CUSTOM desert
« on: Oct 11, 2018, 05:54 PM »
Hi vod,   

Here is the beginning of my concept for my first mando costume. Still have to draw the knee/shin armor and gauntlets but the main idea is here.
I also draw the vest  and what i'll look like without the armor part. Because i want to fit with the SW univers even without helmet and armor.
I want my Costume approvable so i'm counting on you to dected every mistakes and forbidden things :D

Is the loin is good even with plates on it ?

I've answererd myself on many things by reading the forum and CRLs but i've some unsolved questions (see image below):

A - Is the collar plate has to be in one part or i can divide it in two section. I think it will be more confortable to moving my arms up (to wakk i swamps for example  :P) if i can to it in 2 parts.

B - On this section, a small plate will be attached to prevent the strap to get off. i want to use bhc screw. is this kind of thing allowed ?

C - For a better protection i want to put a side plate on my armor. Is it possible ? my Goal is to have a light/medium armor but i think it's more "logic" to have a side protection.

D - For the different part of the armor. can i attach them between each other with straps (nylon or cordura) ? . My goal is to create a kind of tactical armor render. Something that i can take off without taking of the flak vest and adjust perfectly .
I've always had trouble with the fact that the plates are just putted on the vest. Look like "magic" attachment. Even with rivets i think it always look like foalting. for me this solution is more "realistic" and cohesive. more efficient in operation and on the field.

i'll Continue to draw this and put a color scheme soon :)  :cookie: :cookie:

EDIT : it seems that i fail to insert the images in the message. any tips to share with google drive ? size limitation ?

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2018, 06:05 PM by Kar ta Teroch » Logged

Havelock

• The Motivat'alor | I've got a link for that.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: First Armor Conception - CUSTOM desert
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2018, 07:16 PM »
Hosting photos on a google drive and including the pictures themselves won't work with the way the forum is coded.  You'd need an imgur or flickr account, or some other 3rd party hosting site.  For an excellent step-by-step guide on including pictures in your posts, check out this thread.

You're welcome to have a split collar, such as you've pictured, and you can armor a loin cloth, so no worries there.  You're also welcome to add flank armor - armor to protect your sides.  I'd highly recommend staying away from using nylon (or other) strapping to fasten one plate to another.  That doesn't fit the Star Wars aesthetic, and would almost certainly not be approved.  We encourage recruits to stay away from "tactical" in their kits, as that's so strongly rooted in real-world military and SWAT, and pulls your kit right out of "Star Wars."  While we're a custom costume club, our goal is for all the costumes of our Official Members to look as if they just came off a Star Wars set.  "Tactical" doesn't accomplish that goal.  Additionally, the strapping you're suggesting (along with wanting to take off the plates without having to take off your flak vest) suggests that when you move, your armor is going to be shifting all over the place.  That's not really going to work with the look we're going for.

If you look at Mandalorians on-screen (both animated and live-action) there's little to no strapping for the armor anywhere on the kit, but most especially on the torso armor.  We encourage recruits to stay as close to the Star Wars aesthetic as realistically possible.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 18
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2018, 04:33 AM »
Thank you Havelock.

First for the photo thread and second for your recommandation on the armor that i'll follow :) .

Let's draw something better :D

Havelock

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2018, 11:59 AM »
My pleasure, vod.   :D

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett | Mk I | Mk II | Havelock Fiction | Invasions - 18
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2018, 06:03 PM »
Hi !

So, I've rethinked my concept and reconsidered my way to go for armor attachment and also the flak vest.

Now it's like this :

I think i'll go for side openning on the vest. One side opening will be enough, i think, with quality Snap attachment to close it.
For plate attachment my favor goes to scratch (inside plate all covered and also a big part on the vest).

- About the bucket. I was thinking to use as a base an old airsoft helmet i have.  like this:

Of course i'll removing all external attachment system and cover all the holes to have a proper look. Adding PVC (sintra) plates and build up all details etc etc.
The main goal is to be able to benefit from the inside strapping and adjustement system to not have a "pop figure" look with a jiggling helmet :D
Is someone already did this kind of thing ? Is it a good idea or it's better to go for pepakura type of building ?

thank's for attention  :like:

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2018, 04:44 PM »
I really like your concept now and I think It looks a lot more Mando than your previous look. I'm really digging the armored loin/kama combo It's really cool. And I love your take on the chest Diamond too. I can't wait to see this come together!

So long as you can remove all of the accessories from the helmet so that it is one single smooth shell that should be acceptable, but please wait to hear from an app team member for final word. If you look at my signature I am currently working a homemade helmet from a hard hat and Home Depot buckets. It is more of a traditional build but could give you an Idea of what you are looking at building a helmet from a blank base like that.

Havelock

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2018, 05:13 PM »
That's looking much better.  Nicely done.  As for the helmet, you can use that as a base.  I don't know if anyone's used something like that before or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it has. 

Like Falcon said:

So long as you can remove all of the accessories from the helmet so that it is one single smooth shell that should be acceptable

You'll also need to fill in and smooth out the vents/holes in the helmet.  But it should totally be doable.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2018, 09:07 PM »
I agree, this is a great concept and I am looking forward to seeing this made. Havelock is on the app team, so the helmet is doable. I was thinking that it should be treated like a bicycle helmet. Air vents filled, attachments removed and smoothed out. Havelock's statement just confirmed my opinion. Good luck with your kit. I'm bookmarking it. I really want to see how this goes.  :like:

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Hi vod,

Thanks for your encouragment and compliments :). I'll focused on the shine/knee armor now then go for the back design! and also the side view.

It's maybe a large amount of drawings but i think for every project that "more you prepare before less you have to fix after"  :porg2:
But believe me, i'll always make something unplanned at a moment or an other  :P
it's a way to go, many other exist  :D

As for the helmet, you can use that as a base.  I don't know if anyone's used something like that before or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it has. 
Good :D so i'll start to plan the bucket construction first (as many other i think).
I'll take pictures of every step using this base and put it in a WIP post for those who want to learn about my mistakes in the future ^^ .

You'll also need to fill in and smooth out the vents/holes in the helmet.  But it should totally be doable.
Obviously all the holes and attachment will disappear.

I'm really digging the armored loin/kama combo It's really cool. And I love your take on the chest Diamond too. I can't wait to see this come together!
Thank you :) I was looking for a light/medium armor render and, as i really don't like COD, i think this option is the good compromise. I Hope to have a good effect.
The material for the loin/kama will be the same than the material of the vest but without internal lining. So the render will look like "efficient" .   
Also tahnk you for your Home bucket WIP which is really instructive.

Soon more drawings !  :like:

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2018, 04:47 PM »
A quick update on my Desert concept.

Now it's more obvious for the "Desert" Part  :D

I finally made a choice for the equipment i'll put on my gauntlet. 
- The right one will feature a grapple system. With a visible steel cable spool and too C02 sparklet to make it looking functionnal. Also i'll put a control box for all the system of the armor. it will allow me to control some electronics features of the armor (for the beginning only the lamps of the helmet ten we will see). I think it will be more enjoyable to have every action button centralized to power up all the features :)
Its the projet we will see what i can really achieve xD.
- The left one will feature some palcement for magnetic gps tracers (fake obviously). I haven't any idea about what to put here and i asked my wife "what a bounty hunter need to have quick on hand during a contract" and she replies directly " some device to track down his prey". so i decide to put this. i will manage a fake screen, maybe foldable, on the gauntlet too. :)

I also worked on the side look of the helmet. I hope to beging the back on next week !  :cookie: :cookie:

Havelock

« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2018, 05:41 PM »
That color palette is gorgeous!  I'm looking forward to seeing you bring this to life.   ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!