Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Speeps' first time build concept design - lots of pictures.

• 6 Replies

Speeps

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Greetings Vode,

A long time ago on a night out far, far away....
I saw a friends Halloween costume and it blew my mind. It was Jango Fett, flanked by two other friends as Maul and Vader.
This reminded me just how awesome the Fetts were in the films. Their look especially. Thus was born a fascination with their armour, weapons and legend.

It was only late last year that i had been looking around online for tips on how to make a decent set of Boba Fett armour for a fancy dress event.
 I found a wealth of knowledge on TDH and armed with a credit card and a visit to Ebay later aaaaand -
Gauntlets i didn't know how to prep and a helmet that would need a tonne of attention to bring it in line to be approved. The plan WAS to overhaul the helmet and experiment, but its grown on me and i love it as it is! A warped and flaky first fling. :like:
     Only in June did i discover the MMCC and my head exploded! The quality of the builds and the help and advice given to each other blew me away. I knew what had to be done....!

I found my clan, the amazing Vok'Chi clan, introduced myslef and met a lucky few (Hik'aari Kelborn, Tak'ur Kemir and Jaryn Solus) at Invasion Colchester. Hik'aari gave me solid advice, the voice of experiance after all, and said to work on my design plan and don't be tempted to dive straight into cutting armour, but to source my soft parts first. This way i would be able to size my plates much more accurately first time around.
   There were some example torso plates on the display table at various stages of paint layers and weathering. This was the first time if seen armour up close, let alone touch it and i felt like a kid in a candy shop! (We've all been there I'm sure).
    What i then found out was that before this fateful day, in my excitement to start cutting armour i'd ordered some 'Foamex', what i understood to be the Sintra equivalent in the UK. Hik'aari explained that the sheets id bought were the wrong type of foam board. Poor for armour building but good for sign making, so if anyone is in need of 15 sheets of A2 foam board for sign making, i have some spare in my shed!!

The designs began:-

I found a blank mando maker (MM3) sketch and tidied it up in MS paint as i couldn't find MM3 anywhere where i could make it run. I have since achieved this, but still use paint. I then threw some colours around to see what stuck. I had the start of a plan and knew the scale of the workload i was undertaking. I figured for soft parts i could knock up a paracord girth belt, i'm quite handy with that stuff. I also earmarked a flack vest from Draceline (still need to order), orange flight suit from the bay of E and black leather gloves i was issued at work.

Work then decided to send me on an all expenses paid holiday to the desert, where i currently still am. This afforded me untold amounts of time to daydream about my kit, research what other people had done and get a better feel for building techniques. I also found i had allot of tinker time and my paint design evolved through trial and error.
First was a bucket overhaul.

Then the armour.

Some Mando'a for decoration.

(Tojek Crassoops is a name I'm contemplating....watch this space.)

I realised i had designed a helmet that very closely resembled the Nighthawk by Demon Dog Studios...... so i ordered one....... and im rather excited, haha.

so, my design as it stands currently is this -

I really like the idea of articulated finger plates over the glove. I hope I've shown this well enough in my images.
The blocky background on the left image is to serve as a visual contrast to give a more accurate idea how the kit will look.
The second image is a rough depiction of how it should look when worn.

Mandible - Tojek Crassoops.
Right Shoulder bell - Shoulder the burden.
Left shoulder bell - Vok'Chi clan crest.
Right of chest diamond - Never give up.
Left of chest diamond - Never give in.

Weapons. A Mando needs to have the tools of their trade.
I ordered a couple of Kal daggers which i intend to attach to the boot/spat/shin armour via a thin leather belt given a new lease on life.
I opted for an A180 blaster, i just really like the proportions and look of them! This of course lead to blaster designs. Back to paint and pixel bashing  :'(

As if that wasnt enough of an undertaking for my first kit build, the designing went on!
Magnetic detonators - as seen in Rogue one. I found a kitchen timer online that with some work could be made to look and operate like the screen shown prop.

Also, I've had a concept in my head that i can't quite design as well as id like to.
Here are my thoughts.
I was thinking of having a large Mythosoar on my back plate with blades set into the plate as its tusks. The would have to be reachable, detachable yet secure enough not to be knocked off. I was thinking lots of magnets as hats my thoughts on attaching most of the other plates, but i'm very aware weight is the enemy on a design like that. The back plate would be attached either with a harness or with cobra clips which would double up as a cape attachment point when a jet pack is not in use..... not that i've designed one......but a still have a few weeks of desert time left..........  :P
Concept art - back to paint.

I found this Sword on Drake's custom ordinance sales thread and love the shape and look! I decided to use it as a design template and continued.

As you can see, i can't draw! the challenge here apart from the obvious making it look EPIC, is reach vs curve vs size.
Any suggestions or sketchy designs are welcome, i'd be glad to hear all of your opinions.

As i said this will be my first build and i'm very VERY aware how big of a build I've outlined..... even before the jet pack  :o
AND i haven't even started on the wrist energy shield, possible sniper designs and Kara Kelborn inspired jaw armour, all of which i have designs for.

Thank you for you time and I thank you in advance for your help and guidance here.

Speeps.

Kad'tor Kalidasa

• Kad'tor
Re: Speeps' first time build concept design - lots of pictures.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2018, 05:40 PM »
Hey vod.

I really like the design, were you going for an egyptian motif? Where did you find the image of the armour layed out like that? If you don't mind sharing the link to the image would help me out.

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2018, 06:16 PM »
Wow, your concept is great. I'll be definitly following your build. I really like the personal touch you've added to your design. The dark red colour is my favourite (as you can propably see at my kit ;) )  I've only heard good things about Demon Dogs, so the Nighthawk is a solid base for your helmet and it matches your design perfectly. I also really like your design for your plates, adding some mandalorian letters is always great. Just be aware that you're only allowed to add your clan logo AFTER your approval, but it's great to have it already planned. Your idea for your hand armour is looking good, it just could grabbing things during a troop very difficult. Adding some details like your explosives is always good, so it's a great idea.
For your idea for your backplate, I just like to mention that depending on your kit mobility in kit can be limited. Just be aware that grabbing your weapns attached to your backplate could be difficult. It is definitly possible I've seen several kits with weapons on the backplate. I have an idea how you could attach your back plate. I and several other members of my clan use screws for attaching the plates to the vest. With this method the plates don't at all and their weight isn't a problem. If your interested in this method I can explain it more depthly.

You've done a really good start with your concept  :maul:

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2018, 06:24 AM »
For your idea for your backplate, I just like to mention that depending on your kit mobility in kit can be limited.

I'd say that rather than depending on kit it's depending on design, mobility can be limited. Design everything to fit you and take the time to test things and you will not lose much mobility at all. Also, being able to sit down cross legged at an event while some of the clan cannot even sit down is worth the extra time taken ;) . Reaching your own back and picking things up off the floor are the other two things that are good to plan for. With those blades, the reaching your own back will definitely need to be on your list :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Prudii Vok'Chi

• Official member #0014
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2018, 09:07 PM »
The Nighthawk helmet is proving to be a popular choice it would seem.

You're the 3rd person to choose it in recent times.

They're awesome helmets, and extremely well made. Just prepare yourself for a Customs charge of around 55!!!

I got mine for my pilot build and Runi got his for his new Heavy Weapons build.

I'll watch your thread with interest.

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2018, 09:14 PM by Prudii Vok'Chi » Logged
"A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid".

Speeps

• Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Thank you all for your feedback! I really do appreciate it.

Hey vod.

I really like the design, were you going for an egyptian motif? Where did you find the image of the armour layed out like that? If you don't mind sharing the link to the image would help me out.

Truth be told i didn't have an intended style as such. I had the colours i wanted coupled with idle fingers and lots of time of an evening to tinker and ended up with the above.
   I'm new to forum posts/links, but will try linking the image. - Click Me
It was just a google image search for 'mandalorian armour blank' and it popped up. I tidied up the lines up in MS Paint and rotated the shoulder bells, and thats it.
I found it useful for quick and easy colour trials, swapping them in and out. As shown above i copied out several blanks on one page, tried different ideas and took what i liked from each.

Just be aware that you're only allowed to add your clan logo AFTER your approval, but it's great to have it already planned.

Your idea for your hand armour is looking good, it just could grabbing things during a troop very difficult.

I have an idea how you could attach your back plate. I and several other members of my clan use screws for attaching the plates to the vest. With this method the plates don't at all and their weight isn't a problem. If your interested in this method I can explain it more depthly.

I actually didn't know that, but i would't feel right by wearing a clan crest/ the MMCC crest without being OM anyway. My plan was to get approved then apply for a kit upgrade and swap out the shoulder bells.

Grabbing things, yeah, a very good point. I think when i come to this part of the build i'll try out two designs. The one pictured above, with coverage of only the backs and sides of the fingers, and one with only the backs covered.

Back plate attachment. I think i'm on your wavelength here. Are you thinking of Chicago screws, the ones that thread into themselves??
   I purchased a large amount of these whilst looking into T-visor attachment methods. I was going to hot glue one end onto the inside of the helmet, drill holes in the T-visor then close the screw. Adding rubber washers to create a ventilation gap at the front, enough for fresh air and anti-fogging but small enough that my face is still covered.
   Then i saw how much easier it was to velcro it in, the added benefit of easy installation and removal needing no tools.

Speeps

Kad'tor Kalidasa

• Kad'tor
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2018, 05:53 PM »
   I'm new to forum posts/links, but will try linking the image. - Click Me
It was just a google image search for 'mandalorian armour blank' and it popped up. I tidied up the lines up in MS Paint and rotated the shoulder bells, and thats it.
I found it useful for quick and easy colour trials, swapping them in and out. As shown above i copied out several blanks on one page, tried different ideas and took what i liked from each.

You legend. Thanks man, I hadn't even tought to try that. I've been loitering around the forum for awhile but, only recently started properly too. Hopefully, one day I'll get to return the favour and help you ^^

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!