Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Greetings! New Mando and new armour WIP

• 4 Replies
Greetings! New Mando and new armour WIP
« on: Nov 09, 2018, 12:13 AM »
Greetings! My name is Janad Ruus (my mando name anways)

I'm starting a new armour build and I'm excited to share my upcoming progress.

As of now all I have is my flight suit, which is a charcoal colour, a buy'ce that I will be recolouring as well as some old WWII beige cloth gaiters that I found on ebay that suit the look I am going for.

I will be getting a nice brown flak vest hopefully in the next little while as well.

I plan on using 6mm sintra for all my armour plates, I've been reading through a lot of the forums and it seems like I should go with the 6mm vs. 3mm. If I am mistaken and I should go with 3mm please let me know!  :D

A question that I did have was do i need the double sleeve option in between my flightsuit and my flak vest?

I will be posting pictures hopefully if i get the imgur system figured out! I don't currently have a picture of me wearing the paper templates, but i did snap a photo of them on the flightsuit on the ground. I will cut out cardboard ones and tape those to me first vs. taping my only paper templates as i don't have a printer readily available to me. Let me know if they look weird or not, i got the templates from the TDH for the sizing chart of someone thats 5 and a half feet tall (Which is how tall i am)

Cheers!
First photo, armour colouring. I'm leaning towards the far left one with the most green.

template sizing

Fenris Claddanna

• Formerly 'TI-8342'
  • Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Greetings! New Mando and new armour WIP
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2018, 10:39 AM »
You've got a solid concept there, vod. To answer a couple of your questions: 3mm is cheaper, and shapes quicker than 6mm, but it's less durable. My first kit was made from 3mm, and within a year I snapped the collar plate twice, and ended up replacing almost everything with 6mm. 6mm is more durable, but requires longer heating times to shape. As to which one is the preferred thickness, it boils down to personal preference. Both work well in this application.

Double sleeves are not required for custom builds. Again, it's a personal preference thing. Some do go with that option to allow for a bit of extra airflow under the flightsuit. For Canon/Legends characters, you need to match the references exactly, so if the specific character has the double sleeves(almost all of them do), then double sleeves would be required in that case.

Your templates look decent on the flightsuit, but it'd be best if we could see how they look on you. The WoF templates are based on a mezomorphic body time(completely proportional height to width), whereas most people tend to fall into either the endomorphic body type(tall, relatively skinny), or ectomorphic body type(shorter, relatively broad and stocky). Frequently, the templates require adjustments to fit properly. Once we have that, we can give you a better idea as to if the templates need adjusting or not.

I look forward to seeing your build progress, vod. Welcome to the Mercs!

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2018, 05:10 AM »
That's a great start.

I also like the concept on the left the most, the different colours in the helmet give the kit a great depth. My advise would be to add a bit more green to different parts of the kit, maybe the diamond or a stripe in the knees. Your can be really creative with your paint job. But that's just personal preference, your concept is great as it is.

As Fenris Claddanna already a picture with your templates taped to your body would be great to give you an in depth feedback on the sizing.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

Here are some photos of the cardboard templates on me. I am wearing a thick wool sweater from Marks Wearhouse that I wont actually be wearing for my kit, but it gave my the sizing and weight that my flakvest will be hopefully. In saying this, it is hard to tell sort of where my armpit is underneath, but it felt like the panels were in the right spots, and obviously the panels would be properly molded and secured so they sit properly.

Let me know your thoughts!

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2018, 09:33 PM »
Lookin' good!

Your plates look like they're within the acceptable size range, but they're a little bit the wider side. When you cut them out of sintra you may find you have to trim them, but just take a TINY BIT off of the outsides of your chest, collar, and ab.

:like:

As for 3 mm vs 6 mm, my kit is all 3 mm and has held up for 2 years with only one break in one knee because I was a fool and tried to kneel on it haha. Depends on personal preference and how much activity you plan on doing while in kit.

They/Them Pronouns | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 25

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!