Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalorian Armor concept... yea... (returning soon ;) )

• 60 Replies

Mark - Zexal

• been building the same kit since 2016
Here is the concept art i have for my helmet design.
any thoughts?

list of things i need to buy:

---------------------------------------------

stuff i have picked out:
Blue(6.99), Tan(8.49), Grey(6.99), White(6.99), Clear Coat(6.99) spray paint
Painters tape(8.99)
area to paint in(free, IS CARDBOARD)
flight suit / under armor(new 50-70$. Thrift 10-anything$)
Sintra(Around 45$ for a  4'-8' sheet)
visor stuff(29.35)

stuff i own:
templates(9.99)
weaponry(i already owned)
helmet (224.96) (I GOT THE PACKAGE)

stuff i need:
flak vest
pouches, belt, backpack / jetpack(if im feeling edgy)

other:

(TOTAL PRICE SO FAR)
=========

(AMOUNT SPENT SO FAR)
=========

« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2020, 11:32 PM by Zexal Renow » Logged
My name : Zéxal Thau'ren
Pronunciation : Zek-Sal Th-ow-ren

Mega

• Megand Cardigan
Re: Mandalorian Helmet concept... yea...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:58 AM »
Looks amazing! How do you plan on creating the design on the helmet tho? :o

Mark - Zexal

Re: Mandalorian Helmet concept... yea...
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:28 AM »
with more masking tape than a boxing factory and a lot of time and patience. also maybe some decals.... okay maybe a lot of decals...

I Did some concept for the chest armor, might redo it as the amount of time it would take to do this design, though cool, would be like... most of summer...
i will show images of the weapons i plan on using for my mando once i get the concept art and details as to what he will have disclosed...

so.. yeah. without further delay... here is the concept art for the armor. (may be subject to change)

« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2018, 12:14 PM by Vor'en Marr » Logged

Falke

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
Re: Mandalorian Armor concept... yea...
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2018, 02:09 PM »
This is stunning!  :o
If you continue like this you kit will be awesome!  :boba: But it will be a pain for masking the design on the plates  :rolleyes:

Mark - Zexal

« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2018, 08:37 PM »
i can spray the tan design on then use a cardboard cutout to get the blue on.  :)

FINISHED!!!!

I was able to finish the design earlier in the week but due to several things happening in my life i was unable to post it until now. so... here is the final product! let me know what you think and i guess right now i should give some backstory to the coloring and design. the coloring for the armor (tan, blue, black) is inspired from the hannibal vehicles in Halo 5 gaurdians. the way the design looks takes inspiration from a sort of techno design i see on some tv shows. the jaig eyes are there for fun!

so without further delay.. here is the Final armor design!!

Helmet:

Armor:

Mega

• Megand Cardigan
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2018, 09:10 PM »
Looks Amazing! ;) What color jumpsuit are you looking into? I suggest either tan, black, or blue.  Possibly, even white.

« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2018, 09:14 PM by Mega » Logged

Mark - Zexal

« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2018, 09:49 PM »
hmm... hadn't thought of that... i guess i would use a white one to balance out the colors because there is more tan and black than blue and white. though the closest thing i can get to jumpsuit in my local area cheap would be a mechanics coveralls that usually only come in black and dark blue. if i find one on amazon ill see though, or if you know any good sellers or places to buy jumpsuits, let me know!

Mega

• Megand Cardigan
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2018, 10:03 PM »
I know that Wal-Mart carries mechanic suits, but they usually are darker colors like you mentioned. You might can try to find them either at a local hunting goods store or maybe even a Airsoft/ bbs store. I actually found my black Elbeco pants at a thirft store. I believe your best option is to buy it online. Especially, for the color you want.

Avior Braisa

• Bobble-Fett
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2018, 11:20 PM »
I love this design!  :o It brings Egyptian pharaohs to mind. I'll definitely be watching this as it comes together.

Aiwha Riders Clan
OM #2296 A & B
T.P.S. #7
O.O.P.S. #67
M.A.J.I.C. #186
Q.M.U. #92 <-Hey, it rhymes!
House Nelvaan Armored Squirrel #10

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2018, 11:30 PM »
hmm... hadn't thought of that... i guess i would use a white one to balance out the colors because there is more tan and black than blue and white. though the closest thing i can get to jumpsuit in my local area cheap would be a mechanics coveralls that usually only come in black and dark blue. if i find one on amazon ill see though, or if you know any good sellers or places to buy jumpsuits, let me know!

Scrubs come in pretty much every color.

Mark - Zexal

« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2018, 11:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! I will be looking online for the stuff i will be wearing under my armour as it will be in a much wider range. Yes the marking do give a very Egyptian vibe to them dont they? As of current i have no idea what a scrub is and will be looking into that but if they come in every colour then i may just have to buy some!

Kall

• Run and you'll just die tired.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2018, 01:40 AM »
Very interesting and intricate design Vod. Can't wait to see it come together

Mark - Zexal

« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:54 PM »
thanks for the support and help vod! i removed my last post as i saw it was quite useless and had content i hadn't yet fully decided on keeping.

right now i am trying to figure out what would be the best hardening option for my armor as i am going to cut the armor onto cardboard first then use some method to give it durability and make it easy to work with. i have considered using 2 part epoxy resign or something like that. (if its not called epoxy resign then feel free to correct me) I have also thought of using aluminum sheets except i have no way to cut them cleanly and safely and i dont want to use a dremel as i would hate to destroy my bits. i cant think of any other method that a 15 year old could do with a very low budget. please give me ideas and help me out with this!

T_Jay00

• Aeon Lassiter
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:43 AM »
I don't know about cardboard armor. It might work if you fiberglass it on both sides, just make sure that it's bent in the right places and actually fits you.

Most people on here use sintra, which you can get at your local sign store or Amazon. It bends under heat, and it really only takes a heat gun. The only problem is that it can be...rather expensive.

Whatever you do, this looks really cool, and I wish you luck!

Mark - Zexal

« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2018, 01:30 AM »
ah i see, well i plan on going to my local hardware store soon to see if they have anything of that sort. thanks for the response though! i am aware sintra can be expensive but on the websites i have visited sintra is about 40$ for 2 sheets shipping to Canada. ill look into either buying online or in person but we will have to wait and see.

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2018, 08:29 AM »
Sinta is gonna be the same price or cheaper by the time you fiberglass cardboard, and will be way less work to get to a finished product. Sign shops should have it. Also search, you may have a plastics supplier locally. I can get a 4x8 foot sheet of 3mm for 30 dollars, and 6mm for 60.

Mark - Zexal

« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2018, 09:44 PM »
for a board that size i expected it to be a bit more expensive considering its plastic you can heat and bend with little to no effort depending on how hot it is

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2018, 10:50 PM »
I've bought dozens of sheets (I bring them to APs for people who live further away) at that price.   Sintra IS surprisingly in expensive -- but it's just low density PVC, and pvc isn't all that spendy.

Mark - Zexal

« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:20 PM »
so i checked my local home depot and they didn't have any sintra or any thermoplastics at all. the nearest sign shop to me is about an hour drive that i don't really want to uber back and forth from. if you have any links to sintra that's cheap but is from a source you trust, let me know!

according to me friends and family from school and what not i shall be getting the spray paints i asked for in the colors i wanted. i will edit this post once i can get the images of the spray paint colors on my pc.

Sep Ho'ban

« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:46 AM »
I've never purchased it online before.  Have you checked in with your clan to see where they typically purchase it?

Ko'rizna Falco

• Weapons are a part of my religion
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2018, 02:59 PM »
There are 24' x 48' sheets on Amazon for $20, which is enough for a kit I believe, search "expanded PVC foam." Now I don't know the quality but at $20 your not losing a whole lot of money if it doesn't work.

Mark - Zexal

« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2018, 08:21 PM »
Ill check with my clan to see if they have have any suggestions, thanks though. I will look on amazon and my next post should be the result of my searching.

Anyways here are the spray paint i will be using for my armor.

***EDIT***

i was able to ask my clan about a sintra shop in my local area and they pointed me to one that's actually only a 16 minute drive from my house so.. will be doing that.

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2019, 08:37 PM by Zexal Renow » Logged

Darasuum Prudii

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #22 on: Dec 18, 2018, 10:16 AM »
 Very interesting paint concept. I will be interested to see how it’s executed. It’s in my opinion on the busy side but it will definitely be a focal point of your kit. I think a light brown or Khaki or even a white jump suit will work well and be easy to weather as well. Can’t wait see what you do.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 18, 2018, 12:51 PM »
And be careful when using two different brands of paint. Sometimes they react with each other, causing... weirdness.  Bubbles, orange peel, crackling...  Test them out on some scrap first, and follow the directions on the cans.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Mark - Zexal

« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2018, 11:41 PM »
I HAVE A QUESTION!!!

on my armor i plan on adding several small things to it like i plan to add some chest diamond trophies as well as some other things my mando could use. One of those things happens to be a lightsaber. This lightsaber would be a working one not a trophy, it would also have a great amount of symbols and weathering on it sorta like its been passed down through the years. I was wondering what the current opinion of having lightsabers as weapons for mandalorians is? Can i have them? Are they banned? Do i need to be in a certain brigade to have one? the story behind the lightsaber i would use is basically it is the lightsaber of like my characters great(x30) grandfather or something like that. this grandfather killed a sith and took the lightsaber and then had a jedi purge the dark side from it making it a white lightsaber. then it just got passed down through the years. if someone could tell me if this is allowed or not that would be great!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!