Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

TCW Deathwatch Grunt (Kenobi/Maul variant)

• 58 Replies

Ruus bal'Neta

• Awards Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
Re: TCW Deathwatch Grunt (Kenobi/Maul variant)
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2018, 05:21 PM »
http://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=obi-wan-kenobi-mandalorian-super-commando-armor-tcw

That's the main source of reference pics I've been using. If you look past the light gray weathering, the main color of the flightsuit looks lighter than the unweathered areas of the vest. Its a slight difference but enough that it doesn't look like the same base color, in my eyes.

Tra'alor, Manda'galaar Clan / OM #1686 1/12/17 / Invasions: 102
Ruus bal'Neta - Brigade Member #253 - Vanguard Division / Shock Infantry / Droid Hunter (MMCC 1st approved 1/18/18)
Kyr’am Tyrahr #1686B approved 11/23/18
CAO Team
Former Ruus'alor (2018)

Hik'aari

• Nickaari
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Weapons Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2018, 05:32 PM »
They are horribly low res images, here is my folder of references I took from the Bluray: https://imgur.com/a/WyYOt

Images like this, to me, make it very much seem vest and suit are the same material, colour and weathering as each other.

Further examples of suit and vest matching.
Taking references that are not under a direct light is how I approached mine.

This is an example of how badly the lighting in this episode warps stuff. Outside, under a direct light, is really light bleaching this to almost seem a blue colour. This is what real black material can do under bright lights in real life too.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Ruus bal'Neta

• Awards Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2018, 05:38 PM »

Look at the exposed flightsuit between the vest and girth belt. The unweathered areas are clearly a different color than the unweathered vest.

Ruus bal'Neta - Brigade Member #253 - Vanguard Division / Shock Infantry / Droid Hunter (MMCC 1st approved 1/18/18)
CAO Team
Former Ruus'alor (2018)

Hik'aari

• Nickaari
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Weapons Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2018, 05:49 PM »
...seemed to jump over the examples I gave in the last post. So, using the photo you gave the area all around the legs shows a black flight suit with weathering.

In this one the vest and flightsuit sleeve match, as does the legs, and the gloves, all showing black.

Indoor photo showing all matching soft parts.

Even images like this, where the flightsuit looks lighter than the vest, to me just seem black with weathering.

If we are saying that the lighter colour is the suit (making it charcoal grey) then the weathering must be darker and black patches? Which to me doesn't make sense. Dark material when heavily used, warn, and weathered, will go lighter as the dyes come out and it show lighter weather more obviously.

Ruus bal'Neta

« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2018, 06:02 PM »
I still see the flightsuit and vest as different shades. Its very very close for sure but in my eyes there is a distinct difference. The vest is black and the suit is a very very dark charcoal gray with light weathered highlights on both.

CAO Team
Former Ruus'alor (2018)

Padm Thano

• #946 || "Pandalorian" || Spectre5
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2018, 06:05 PM »
I'm going to have to agree with the others on this; that suit is black and weathered with some gray.

The images Hik'aari posted just emphasize this to me. (& a lot of those are the same images Mi'ix and I have been looking at)
Black, aesthetically, even makes the most sense.

Also no, that space between the flak vest & girth belt is not a different color. That is colored that way to, more than likely, show wrinkles, to show that the flightstuit is held tight by the girth belt. It's showing lighting & shading differences on the animated model.

« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2018, 06:08 PM by Padm Thano » Logged

Rebel Legion Ra Kura Base Membership Officer

Ruus bal'Neta

« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2019, 06:25 PM »
I have all of the armor pretty much ready for paint except the thigh plates. I think they might be a bit big but I'm not sure 100%.

The plate is slightly forward of where it should be on my leg but even moving it back a half inch or so it still seems too big at least in the front.

Also started the paint on my helmet before the weather took a dump and decided to not be warm enough to paint more.

CAO Team
Former Ruus'alor (2018)

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2019, 07:29 PM »
You may need to take a little bit out of the front of the plate depending on where the cod sits with the thigh plates. I’d guess only an inch out? But I’m hesitant to say to do it lol

The paint on the helmet is looking good so far :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278 || Approval Team Director
Custom Armor WIP - Bo Katan WIP

Hik'aari

• Nickaari
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Those thigh plates do look really big, they are not hard to make from Sintra either (including the ammo boxes) to custom size them to yourself. Really you need to get your knee plate on, and your girth belt in the right place to then size the thigh to sit between them.

Interesting approach with the helmet painting there. Interested to know how you're approaching the layering now..
Are you putting a blue underlay around the front face, rim, etc. to weather through to?

Ruus bal'Neta

« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Quick CRL checklist so I keep myself on track. I'll try to lay everything out tonight and add pictures of the current status of it all.

Helmet - need to finish painting, add padding and fans

Collar/Chest/Ab Armor - Install pinback attachments then paint

Shoulder Armor - Add velcro attachment, then paint

Back Armor - Add pass through holes for jetpack harness, velcro attachment and paint

Gauntlets - Prep for Level 2 LED, paint, install padding and LED

Hand Armor - Add velcro attachment, then paint

Cod Piece - Add velcro attachment, then paint

Thigh Armor - I'm adding an internal drop strap from a hidden belt to help hold these up. The resin blasters I have are too heavy for velcro alone to hold to my pants. So install harness strapping, velcro attachment then paint and padding inside the holster to keep the blaster secure

Knee Armor - Add velcro attachment, then paint

Shin Armor - Add velcro attachment, then paint

Boot Armor - Paint then glue Toe Armor to boot and attach ankle spat and heel armor with velcro

Jetpack - needs assembled, harness attached, then painted

Flight Suit - 2 piece Dickies scrub pants and shirt. Need to add double sleeve to shirt and velcro to pants for the armor

Flak Vest - Need to pick up the duckcloth for this and the Girth Belt then get them put together. Also need to include the neck seal and pass through holes for the jetpack harness

Girth Belt - Need duckcloth then assembly, velcro for the Ammo Belt attachment

Ammo Belt - Once the Girth Belt is finished I'll cut out the Ammo Belt pieces, get them finished and painted then velcro attachment to the Girth Belt

Gloves - Velcro attachment for Hand Armor

Boots - Remove logos and attach velcro for ankle spat and heel armor and glue toe armor

Westars - The only reference I've found for lights in the blasters is when they are firing. So to get the Level 2 requirement I'm going to add red LEDs inside the end of the barrel, a switch to the trigger area and battery compartment in the grip somehow. Then finish cleanup and paint

The plan is to weather everything at the same time so it is consistent across the whole kit and to match the references. Then its all about final fitting, a shakedown troop and pictures for approval. All before Celebration in less than 3 months.

CAO Team
Former Ruus'alor (2018)

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards Celebration Chicago 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2019, 05:51 PM »
You can do it vod! :D

Ruus bal'Neta

« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2019, 03:17 PM »
As promised, progress pictures.

Palladium boots

I cut the thighs down a little over a half inch all the way around and shaped them for a better fit. Knees and shins as well

Collar, chest, diamond, ab, cod, shoulders, gauntlets and handplates

Backplate cut down to fit my narrower width. Jetpack parts waiting to be assembled

The screen accurate center housing with the cutouts on the sides

Blasters

CAO Team
Former Ruus'alor (2018)

Ruus bal'Neta

« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:37 AM »
Velcro for the hand plates has been sewn onto the back of the gloves.

CAO Team
Former Ruus'alor (2018)

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:43 AM »
Nice :)

Ruus bal'Neta

« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2019, 10:34 PM »
Got a coat of paint on everything that is ready for it. I think I need a second coat, then a light sanding, black wash and clear coat.

Tomorrow I start the jetpack build.

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2019, 10:37 PM by Ruus bal'Neta » Logged
CAO Team
Former Ruus'alor (2018)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!