Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Leia Ordo ad'ika of Zaine

• 10 Replies

zaineordo

• "Ruus"
Leia Ordo ad'ika of Zaine
« on: Dec 29, 2018, 02:48 PM »
so against my wallets better judgement and thanks to a member here i have started my oldest ad'ikas armor.  all I have at the moment is her bucket and 2 piece flight suit. and the templates ready to be cut out.  but thought I'd start a thread anyway. also her name does come from the late Carrier Fisher because my kid loves star wars and princesses so what better way than combine that than naming her after the best princess in all of Star Wars. 

first is her 3d printed helmet glued together with 5 minute epoxy.

then after doing some research on 3d printed props i found the best non toxic way to seal the seams is with spackle. so here it is all plastered up and waiting to dry

here is everything sanded round one dry 80 grit, round 2 wet 150 grit, round 3 dry 250 grit. and the ear caps also secured with epoxy. 

not pictured are her plates ready to be cut out and shaped or her flight suit

"Nothing is true, everything is permissive. or as my momma always use to say 'there ain't a dark side or a light side only gray'. You are gonna find many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.'-Zane Ordo on his view of the force.
armor wip
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=133160.0

redraynos14

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
Re: Leia Ordo ad'ika of Zaine
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2018, 12:03 AM »
If you have a chance, snag some bondo glazing putty, or some filler primer to help make those print lines disappear like they did with the seams when you were reinforcing it. :) looking forward to seeing the kit come to life!

Invasions Total: 20 |2019: 1| 2018: 12|2017: 7|Educational Events on Record: 10| Joined 03/2017|Upgrade WIP Here
OG PRE-APP 2016
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2018, 12:44 AM »
XTC-3D also works wonders for the print lines if you sand it down to be somewhat smooth, first. The bigger ones will still be pretty visible but if you try to sand them mostly smooth first, it will fill in any other little bumps.

Sep Ho'ban

• Formerly 'Quingin'
  • Hammersaw
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2018, 02:15 AM »
+1 for glazing putty.  I've used both it and XTC3d, definitely prefer to work with the putty, and it's significantly cheaper than xtc, especially if you snag it from the automotive section of Walmart instead of an auto parts store.

zaineordo

• "Ruus"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2018, 02:37 PM »
i grabbed some primer/filler from walmart yesterday, just waiting on the weather to warm up. but thanks for all the help and advice. 

"Nothing is true, everything is permissive. or as my momma always use to say 'there ain't a dark side or a light side only gray'. You are gonna find many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.'-Zane Ordo on his view of the force.
armor wip

zaineordo

• "Ruus"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:47 PM »
 it took a little more sanding to get it prepped for paint, but it was worth it. 

heres first layer of primer

collar plate cut out just need to be trimmed down a little bit more

and after some spot filler and two more coats of primer inside and out shes ready for silver. once the weather warms back up

armor wip

Jenga Feet

• Shiloh - Kyrimorut
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2019, 02:40 PM »
Great job so far! Though I'd really like to encourage a few more rounds of primer and sanding. The print lines are still fully visible and for approval there must be no trace. I'd expect 2-4 more rounds at least.

They/Them Pronouns | Kyrimorut Clan | Official Invasions: 27

redraynos14

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2019, 05:38 PM »
Cannot stress the glazing putty enough.

Invasions Total: 20 |2019: 1| 2018: 12|2017: 7|Educational Events on Record: 10| Joined 03/2017|Upgrade WIP Here
OG PRE-APP 2016

Kandosii Tor

• MMCC 1164
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2019, 11:46 PM »
From what material are you cutting your plates?

Also, yes to the body filler. Making great progress, but you'll still want to do a bit more work to the helmet.

zaineordo

• "Ruus"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2019, 03:24 PM »
simple reminder this is not for me but my 5 year old daughter, and the plates are being made out of plastic tub, again because this is for a 5 year old. my armor is made from 3mm sintra whitch can be seen here. 

http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=133160.msg1947720#msg1947720

armor wip

zaineordo

• "Ruus"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:06 PM »
little slow on the updates, but its also been colder than hoth around Fortress Ordo the last couple of weeks so.....but here is some updates on my ad'ikas armor

here is a test fitting of what plates i cut out.

here is them on a flat surface.

here she is looking adorable in her bucket.

and i found these for 2 bucks at my local Walmart with some mods and bondo they should be g2g

armor wip

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!